[OpNet] Security

Wakinyan

Well since it was brought up elsewhere I thought perhaps we should make our own little section for it.

How many of you invest in security? How important is it to you? While Someone like Endeavor might need a lot for various reasons. I can't see Singularity and Samhra needing it much.

I am not asking how or what you do for security. Just want to know how important it is to you..

Me, I think I need to consider it.

Security measures are for those who cannot see trouble coming. smile

I did have to get a new OpNet mail address and a new mobile, though. The old ones quickly became useless as everyone and their kid sister wanted a piece of my mind 24/7.

One of my creepier neighbors, let's just call him "Chet,"* thought it would be fun to slide a eufiber-optic cable camera under my apartment's door while I was getting ready for bed. I don't think he was expecting to see me on the other side still fully dressed and wielding a kitchen meat hammer. I squished the camera and opened my door. He looked up from where he was laying on the floor with his handheld computer-thingy and just made the creepiest sound I've ever heard. It was a sort of awkward grunt-laugh-groan. "Ehhhehhhehhhhhugggh!"

Then I noticed his other hand was in his pants.

He's out on bail at the moment, pending trial. He knows better than to come mess with me again.

(* His name is Chet, actually.)

I live in a metalsphere buried underground. The only access in and out of it is through the use of some sort of quantum powered transportation. It's completely self sufficient as well as far as air recirculation and food production goes, so a baseline could survive here as well. That's all the details I want to go into though, since they might be out their listening to me, I've probably already said too much.

Security?

I have it so that my mistakes and blueprints don't end up on the desk of some tin-pot dictator.

Security?

That's so that someone I care about don't have to give a ransom to some kidnpper.

Security?

That's so that some crazy cultist or obsessed fan don't try to steal a lock of my hair, or worse.

Security?

That's so no one tries to burn down my house. I got caught sleeping once, won't happen again.

See the picture?

Jager, Edward,

The prosecuting attorney says that while Chet is free at the moment, he'll probably spend about nine months in prison (provided he behaves) for his little stunt. He's also under a temporary restraining order to stay at least 100 feet away from me and my domicile and to make no contact with me in any way.

I don't think prison will treat him well at all. He'll be punished, all right.

Are any of you worried about a specific threat (like Flicker's Chet I guess) or is this just a general all around security setup?

I often think of it like. How can and of us truly be secure in the Nova Age?

Ghost's recent attacks have exposed a serious problem no one has caught her or her associates. She is just one example of what one Nova can do. Is the security worth the expense if it doesn't stop things like this? It's only a matter of time before she strikes again. Even if she is dealt with, who is the next Ghost or Deathsquad?

I experience a certain amount of paranoia when working on specific subjects. Not to put too fine a point on it but there are those that don't want some mysteries solved.

Is the Ghost you're talking about the same one I see posting on occasion here? If so, the interesting thing about this place for me is that so many of the conversations revolve around circumstances or events that I at least have no knowledge of.

There are only a small number or events I've seen mentioned here publically that seem possible to have had an agent provacateur behind the circumstances. The events include: the WCK's embarrassing battle with Wakinyan in Chicago, Wakinyan's attack in Chicago and subsequent incarceration, the attack on Conduit's parents, and Endeavor's loss of house and cat. The first and second event follow a standard pattern exhibited by many novas or groups of novas, therefore need no hidden conductor orchestrating the events. The third was engineered by someone though there's little information released by the police as its an ongoing investigation. The last is one I personally offered to assist in the investigation but was politely rebuffed. It couldn't have been bread board wiring and backdraft for all I know at the moment.

I've also heard mention of the video allegedly starring Regan MacLachlan aka Codex aka Saimhe aka Samhra. Its a fake of course. To begin with, the camera exposures are choreographed and follow a specific sequence of timings that repeat until the end of the film. Then too the individual impersonating Samhra has the wrong body language. A professional wouldn't have made either mistake.

I'm really scared someone's gonna kidnap my family or hold them hostage to get me to work for them or something. frown I hear that kind of thing happens to new novas all the time.

My parents are telling me not to worry about it, but I can't help it. Am I being paranoid? I can't afford a security patrol or anything to watch them if they really are in danger.

I deal with people who do not have our powers and yet if they come to harm will cause great damage to areas.

As for myself mobility is the best option to keeping safe. Neither Iron bars nor stone wall will stop anything that is a threat to my well being but not being where the threat is works wonders. There have been seven creditable attempts on my life in the past year. Ranging from brute force to elaborate well throught out plans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leech:
Am I being paranoid?
Yes you are but paranoia isn't a bad thing necessarily. As I said in a post a little further up, paranoia is a trait I cultivate on some projects. Once the information is out there then all is well but there are moments when... Let's just say some people have an unhealthy interest in social archeology.

Take a moment to notice I don't live my life in an unending state of paranoia though. That crazy talk. Yes when there's a reason to, I notice people and things around me looking for patterns that don't fit or seem contrived. But otherewise I live a fairly normal life considering I've been to the moon twice and know people that design artificial girlfriends.

Here's a thought for you and it fits well with what Iron Rose seems to be suggesting. Call a security firm for a consultation. Prefereably one that either employes nova operatives or does security work for at least two or three novas and can provide letters of recommendation. Have them assess your situation and then make a decision from that. Any reputable company will do the assessment for free if only to say they did it for the nova Leech. If a question of payment comes up then, while you might not have the money, you can pay. Suggest a service for barter agreement. Your abilities are not insignificant.

To bring a point up that was brought long before our times. All a guard can do is keep your enemy away, they can do nothing to stop your friends. You can look at this from many ways, I choose to look at it this way no mater how careful and protective you are, you never able to protect yourself from everything. You can either live you life in the open letting those around you in or you can close the world out, because the more secure you are the more you are imprisoning yourself.

I choose life.

Is anyone here familiar with the term "minor"?

There had to be at least fifteen different ways to word that warning that wouldn't solicit an automatic reaction of generalized fear or narrowly focused defiance.

And really, aren't some of us being a little overly sensitive? Imagine what you would have been like if you'd erupted at age 16 or 17. Does Wakinyan's situation clafify the image?

Not the first time I've been turned down, won't be the last.

Security really isn't all that necissary for me. Crap, I go looking for trouble.

Thoughtwave, sorry to burst your bubble, but Hawk, Owl, Bear, Elk, Wolf, and Cougar are no match for a .50 calibur sniper rifle miles away being fired by a Nova. You're a Nova, learn to use what you have to defend yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Crusader' Hill:
Ah, security. That comforting knowledge of safety, deep within the arms of a protective force that will keep all evil-doers at bay. Like a guard dog, or a favorite uncle with a shotgun. Or maybe you could get something super-keen, like lasers that come out of a statue's eyes!

Yes, it's a wonderful thing, security.
Yeah, not meaning to offend, fuck that, yeah I am going to be offending, but how much of a fuckwit can ya be? Statues with lasers coming out of their eyes? Somebody read too many comic books the day of their eruption.

What I think you fail to understand, Edison, is that my friends are part of who I am as a nova; through me, both they and I are far, far greater than we would be alone. Hawk or Owl would see your hypothetical sniper, Wolf and Cougar would stalk him, Bear and Elk would challenge him, and if needed I would touch his mind and end his hunt directly.

You got the last bit of that properly, but they send Novas after Novas, they could outstalk your wolf and cougar, outchallenge your bear and elk, and your hawk and owl wouldn't even know he existed.

Every last one of us is vulnerable in some way. Not all of us know how, but we are, it's best we learn to defend ourselves with our abilities. Out of any of those opponents you're the only one to be feared.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is such a thing as security any more. Just the false sense of safety you get from not knowing all the possible dangers.

There will always be someone who can get past your defenses. There will always be something that can get to you. You just have to try to be prepared for when something comes at you, and know how to deal with it when you're hurt.

My, that sounds horribly dark and dreadful.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edison:
Yeah, not meaning to offend, fuck that, yeah I am going to be offending, but how much of a fuckwit can ya be? Statues with lasers coming out of their eyes? Somebody read too many comic books the day of their eruption.
Why so glum and cranky, friend? It's an amazing world out here, full of amazing things. These are days of bright promise and hopeful futures and really keen gadgets! You should see some of the stuff that The Alchemist makes! Why, next to that, laser-eyed statues would be easy as pie...but still really neat.

Archived