Aberrant RPG - Teleportation and legalities

Alistaire

I have a PC in my game with Teleport, so she can go pretty much anywhere in the world she likes. This wasn't a problem before, with the game mostly "mission" based, because she could just slip into some country, do the job, and get out.

However now she's getting official job contracts around the world (Mega-Att, modelling), and I am thinking that these companies will require her to have a work visa of some sort, where it would become known what she can do. Now, all countries not being equal, I think most will be pretty leery about someone coming and going as they please virtually undetectably (perfect for smuggling, which is why some criminal groups are interested in her too). Worse still, with 5 Attunement, she can carry another person with her as well, potentially letting anyone in the country.

So any thoughts on how to handle this? I've had a few myself, but I'm afraid I don't know much about this stuff, and I want to strike a balance between realism and playability (neither a comic-book game, nor a reality simulator). I'd just like to hear what anyone thinks about this, or has done themselves.

I've seen and done it both ways, with the PC and governments caring, and with the "Try and stop me attitude."

Both can be fun, just don't let worrying about legality become a sticking point for the game on this. Most times I've seen an up-to-date passport work wonders.

Governments might require her to teleport into a port of holding, such as an airport, get her passport stamped and then enter the country. If this setting isn't comfortable with people just slipping past borders like that, action against her might be interesting.

They can require that, but that doesn't mean she has to obey. I think most countries would just ignore the problem and pretend it doesn't exist, because they cannot control her short of some kind of leverage like holding a loved one hostage, or outright killing her.

I think some governments would try that, some would insist she do something like teleporting into an airport for passport stamping, and most would just ignore the issue as un-governable.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
They can require that, but that doesn't mean she has to obey. I think most countries would just ignore the problem and pretend it doesn't exist, because they cannot control her short of some kind of leverage like holding a loved one hostage, or outright killing her.

I think some governments would try that, some would insist she do something like teleporting into an airport for passport stamping, and most would just ignore the issue as un-governable.

Even if they ignore it, you can be sure they'll bring it up if she lands in their custody. That could be fun. laugh

Well I can already think of one hold they have over her, they can prevent the companies she works for from dealing with her. As a model, it's not like she can work "under the table" as it were. Perhaps it depends how much influence any particular company has with any particular government? Or perhaps one of these criminal groups, like C-Z. Hmmm, that sounds like it has the making for some fun getting the PCs into trouble... You know, in exchange for the odd... favor, like taking this package with you next time you go, give it to Dimitri... firedevil

Archived