Part-Time Gods - Interest Check

Krul

Modern day deities, humans who have gained a spark of divinity, hiding their divinity in a world that grows increasingly strange.. this is on a different vein then Scion or any other game involving deities.. and the system is fairly rules light easy to understand, and I find the premise rather interesting.

Checking to see if folks would be interested in being part of the ruling pantheon of a city or some such in this setting..

It actually doesn't use that system, it uses the Dynamic Gaming System-Lite or DTS-Light from Third Eye Games.

A more complete review then mine can be found here.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15339.phtml

and another review

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15338.phtml

Setting Summary

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/847610/PTG-InBrief.pdf

Character Sheet

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/847610/PTG%20Sheets/PTGSheet.pdf

I've gotten a few bites here and in chat.. so here's a clarification of what I'm considering.

You lot are a fairly new pantheon in the rising groups of gods in the world, who have banded together as the gods of your city (likely to pick out a city as I see what sort of gods I get, but Seattle, Los Angelos, Phoenix, New York and Portland are high on my list at the moment). With the rise in gods and outsiders from the Coming Storm, many hidden doorways have also appeared within your city, to other realms and dimensions, most commonly the realms of the dead, but other places also exist.

I'd like to see somewhere between 5(min) to 12(max) deities, but I'm willing to be flexible on this. Character creation will be basic, but I will award extra points for good back stories (several paragraphs) of your mortal lives, how you became a god, and how you've tried to balance divinity with humanity sense. (even if it's only been a few weeks)

While the main theologies are all available, if you don't like any of them, we can work on create a specific theology your deity follows.

If you don't have the book and don't, or aren't able to get it, I can easily help you design your deity.

On a slight note: No gods of specific names, you can be say a god of cities, but not a god of Seattle, or a god of shoes but not a god of Nike, or a god of Cars (or even Sports Cars) but not a god of GM.

Quote:
but not a god of Nike

Well, given that there already is a god Nike, that the company is named after...

I was thinking of a god of stories. He owns a used book store, and has his own personal library. He can create items from stories, mimic specific characters from a story that have a given skill to enhance his skill in that area, or even shapeshift to look like a given character. That's three manifestations for you. I also want to later expand his dominion to include fanfiction, or more accurately the many variations on a story that people come up with.

You might see this as overpowered, it is just the kind of god I would like to be.

A god of stories could be fun, sounds like Beckon, Shaping and Minion as Divine Skills, which isn't quite shared as starting capabilities by any of the Theologies.. Which can leave growing into that area later, or us creating your own Theology for him to follow.

Order of Meskhenet as a divine descendant of say, Thoth or Athena might work out fairly well for you though. (they do start with Minion + 2 and Puppetry + 1, and you could pick up Shaping or Beckon as your third)

So far, tentatively, I see a god of stories and a goddess of children in the works.. that should be fun for the child goddess, someone to tell her stories, and make them live at that.

And sent, SalmonMax

Not at all, god of secrets completely allowed..

Although, Goddess of Children (and Imagination & Cuteness), Stories, Celebrities, Secrets and whatever else you folks come up with is starting to make me think LA in general, and Hollywood in specifics.

Yes.. though I must point out, Diseny land is 25 miles from downtown LA, in Anaheim, which is part of the LA Metro area, and that is definitely a child oriented location.

That said, the LA metro area has close to 11 million people, with more then 4 million in LA proper..

I believe that's more then ancient greek likely had, with all of it's gods..

So here's the idea, you are the most powerful pantheon in the LA metro area, but far from the only one, there are gods here and there, some even within the city itself,and even a few rival pantheons.. but you folks have the most territory you've claimed, including part of the ocean out from Long Beach and Santa Anna, and some territory extending as far north as disneyland (blame the goddess of children for that)

A number of decades ago, a god of portals or doorways, or something, did something odd to the city, it contains a number of strange doorways to other dimensions or places in the world...

Here's some of the deities involved..

Whisper, Goddess of Night and Secrets

Windy, Child Goddess of Children, Cuteness & (possibly imagination)

Unnamed, God of Stories (and possibly creativity)

Unnamed, God of Sky & Sea

Unnamed, Undecided

A few maybes.

Plenty of room for a few more..

Actually, on that note, I'm thinking that it might be possible for Sora to adopt Windy, or to start with Sora beginning the process of adopting Windy, she has the right motivations. Some of that depends on you folks though.

I'm still writing up the backstory, but I've decided on the name of Penman Wright. This is actually his birth name, it just happened to really fit his dominion.

I've sent Krul my character sheet, and am playing a god of both Stories and Creativity, just in case this matters to any other characters.

Originally Posted By: Krul
Actually, on that note, I'm thinking that it might be possible for Sora to adopt Windy, or to start with Sora beginning the process of adopting Windy, she has the right motivations. Some of that depends on you folks though.

I would want to play that in game if that was something everyone wanted to do. But even then, can a single person adopt a child from a Catholic orphanage?

A single person can adopt if they can prove a stable income and that they will be able to devote sufficient time to the child. It is much harder than for a couple, though nowhere near as hard as for a homosexual couple.

On the other hand, is Sora single? Having a spouse would make the process easier.

That's for adoption in general - for a Catholic orphanage - I would think it would require being a Catholic in good standing - and a family environment - I could be mistaken [not being Catholic] but that would be my thought.

And . . . background sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, out of character, who wants to make the call? I assume that we will go along with the request for assistance, given that that is where the GM is pointing us, though a dozen puck could be... problematic without any of us having war dominions.

Do pucks always have a spark, or do they merely have the capacity to steal a spark? As I recall from what you sent me, pucks seem to be the nasty, destructive side of gods.

Puck's tend to congregate in groups of 8 to 12.. often 1 member of that group has a dominion.. it use to be 1 in 20, but with the rise of dominions and the Coming Storm, matters have gotten worse..

Pucks have the ability take a dominion from a dying god, soul eating of a sort, of the various outsiders, they are the only one's with this ability... but a deity or group of deities who destroy a puck with a dominion get the dominion in return, no soul eating required, it simply moves from the puck to the deity(s).

That doesn't mean they are the only outsiders with a dominion, every giant has a dominion, cyclops have craft, mountain giants have earth, fire giants have fire, frost giants have ice.. and the elves all have nature and fertility.. it's just these are racial traits, bound up in who they are, like the fact every human has a pair of hands.

That's good. Soul eating wasn't something I really wanted to get involved in, especially this early on. You are just the only one with a book, so all we have to go on is what you've sent us.

Just for the sake of curiosity, can the dominions be taken from cyclops, elves, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived