[OpNet] What makes a Terat?

Wakinyan

So how does one become a member of the Teragen?

Do you fill out an application?

Is their a pledge week?

I have been under the impression rather it is a state of mind you hold with other Novas.

But what is that state of mind? Do you have to be a total believer in every word Mal spoke in the Manifesto?

I see all these various people who say they are Terat but act nothing alike. I have met them face to face and seen them on the OP. But what is the common bond? Does it just boil down to accepting the truth that you are 'not human'?

Come on help me out here. What is it to be a member of the Teragen?

Member of the Teragen?

According to some folks all you got to do is self-identify and hang out. Others are a bit more picky. If you want someone like Matador calling you bro you better have sucked your sack up and done something to better the position of the One Race. Otherwise you're a fucking poser.

Me? I'm in the middle.

As for Mal, I met him once, courtesy of Slattern. Impressive as evermotherfuckinghell. Couldn't think to say 'boo' to anything he said while he was saying it but...afterwards? I don't think he was laying down the Sermon on the Mound. Good shit, but it's not like I ask myself WWDMD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy Chillmeister:
According to some folks all you got to do is self-identify and hang out. Others are a bit more picky. If you want someone like Matador calling you bro you better have sucked your sack up and done something to better the position of the One Race. Otherwise you're a fucking poser
That is just it. There is no handshake or card you carry. So what is the deal. Do you just 'know' that you are Teragen? It's not a organization it is a way of thinking? Is it both? Do you have to go find a way to advance Novadom? Did Hugin get in for opening New Ground? Did Geryon get in for breaking that dumbass mayor's neck?

Bro, in the truest sense, you are a Terat when you think you are. Hell, some other Terats have called me one, even though I've never gone to any 'meetings' or spoken much about my personal philosophy. I do things for the Movement when asked, I like helping my fellow novas when I can, and I make my own way in the world.

Sure, some Terats want more. They get pissed when I go off and help baseline humanity, but I hear some of the same get pissed when Orzaiz does his 'Human-thing' too.

Do I consider myself a Terat? Not sure, really. I consider myself a nova. I'm not human. I also don't condone atrocities against ANYONE, but that's my way and my choice.

To be a Terat is to follow the philosophy of Teras. But what does that mean?

To many of those who follow the philosophy put forth by Divis Mal, it is a means of controlling taint. Normally, only those with an M-R node can have taint, therefore, the philosophy is only applicable to novas.

Like many baseline philosophies before it, Teras is a way of viewing one's place in the universe. A baseline who follows the Christian philosophy of Jesus Christ, will have a much different view of the universe, than someone who follows the Egoist philosophy of Ayn Rand.

Because a dog, cat or other non-human animal cannot understand the philosophies of Christ or Rand, the non-nova cannot understand the philosophy of Mal. This means that humanity itself is incapable of understanding Teras.

How does a nova become a Terat? I would think that it would be in the same manner that a human becomes a Christian, Egoist, or adherent of any other philosophy. That would be to live your life according to the rules and tenants of that philosophy. To look at the universe and your place in it according to the rules laid down by that philosophy.

This is just my view. Take from it what you wish.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakinyan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
Homonym errors make Baby Divas Mal cry.
I will take it that is an insult to my intelligence. Because I have no idea what that means.
Homonyms are words that, while sounding alike, have different meanings (and often different spellings). Flicker was referring to your use of the word "their" where you intended to use "there" (and continued with a paraphrased reference to the cliche of "such-and-such makes Baby Jesus cry").

You are far from alone in making that mistake, by the way; it's very common. That said, we'll discuss it a bit in our next class session. It has been my experience that, once someone is made aware of the problem, they pay particular attention to it in the future.

As for the Teragen, it is my personal belief that the organization is based on a false premise: that novas are not human. However, that is a matter for another thread (several of which already exist). It is possible that some of the ideas of the Teragen could prove useful -- if the Chrysalis process actually works as advertised, it is possible that it could prove to be a useful starting point for an understanding of some means of correcting the problem of Taint -- but in my experience, those who espouse said ideas and methodologies are adamant in keeping them rooted in a foundational belief of non-humanism (or trans-humanism, as it is occasionally named).

So we are now down to a religion and just personal expression. Well let's see. I dunno if I am any closer to a real answer here. But at least it tells me I am not confused I am just working with the information presented.

Thank you Ms. Sandcaster, that does help clarify things some. Maybe we can go over more next time you come down.

• 7 months later...

Teras is about Enlightenment. The Enlightenment that comes from our inner spirit and leads us to Transcendence.

The Chrysalis is far much more then just a method of "controlling" Taint. It is the vehicle by which we evolve far beyond our baseline origins, or even our Nova state. Yes, I admit that most Novas were once human (other then the rare quantum-born), but the act of eruption is a sign of evolution.

Eventually, evolution causes a change in species, as was seen when Homo Sapiens evolved from lower primates. Eruption is merely the first step in a journey that will lead some of us to walk amongst the stars.

Like any form of Enlightenment however, Teras asks us to look within ourselves. It is an individual journey in the long run, although one can certainly have "Fellow Travellers".

For the One Race

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakinyan:

Come on help me out here. What is it to be a member of the Teragen?
I cannot speak for others. I will not try to. This question has no single anwser and I have heard many people say many things.

Still for me the simplest and trust answer for me would be this. To be teragen is to embrace being a nova and understanding the power and limits we have. We as novas are inheritly alien. No two novas are alike and no nova can truly walk the same path as another. Being teras is understanding that. It is understanding that our differences are the strings that make us the same.

Becoming Teragen, apart from your possible affiliation to the rest of the group, is basically a question of acceptance as opposed to denial. Acceptance of the fact you are not only not human, but more than human, that you live at a different level. Yes, morally, too, call me names if it makes you feel better, but novas are simply not on the same moral and ethical grounds that baselines are. Obviously not, our needs and desires are completely different, any rules that we decide to produce for ourselves must be based on these new conditions, not on the traditions of a different race. Those which are not Terat deny their inhumanity, feeling safer in the arms of tradition, social acceptance and immobility. This is completely normal, blessed we would be if eruption removed the fear of change, but in most cases it does not, and so do a lot of novas live in denial of their very nature (a common human failing that our race seems to have not rid itself of).

Once you accept what you are, the details of Teras are practically a logical conclusion.

My research and interviews with various self-proclaimed Terats shows a remarkably varied approach to the philosophy, but there is a centralized belief in a shift of awareness. Some have alluded to groups within groups using terms like "inner circle" and "chrysalized" though it's extremely difficult to pin my subjects down on what exactly defines being in that select group. It seems to be rooted in the idea that internalizing the philosophy somehow leads to an elevated state of enlightenment.

Something interesting I've noted is a familial sense about those who are members of the teragen vice simply being terats. Derogatory terms like "poseur" are sometimes used although in the context applied it seems to be less an insult than identifying who is part of the family and who is not. I sometimes wonder what the reaction would be to someone that reached the state of awareness believed to be the destination of the Terat philosopy embodied by the Null Manifesto yet was not a member of the Teragen. Questions along these lines are often met with patronizing smirks or insults, which lead me to believe such a thing has never happened and is generally believed impossible. I'm not certain why its believed impossible though.

I think the problem is in the wording... To believe we are different than humanity is one thing. To believe we are better or superior is another. To be sure, I am more intelligent than I suspect human beings can achieve. I do not, however, suspect that any of us has been blessed with super-powered morals. Therein lies the problem, many of us have amazing powers and while claiming godhood, act in ways that many humans would be embarassed at. I think that claiming superiority is foolish being that Novas, as a race, are each so unique that we cannot claim any one unifying characteristic save our differences! It is because so many Novas call humans "Monkeys" because that nova can shoot lazers and cause diseases and yet can get beat in a game of chess by the average college grad, that Teras as a all inclusive moral concept will never work. It tends to come across as an a elite club that the only standard to get into is "super powers". I think what Divis Mal was trying to get at is that because we have these powers, we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than those who do not have them, in the same sense that a strong man with a temper much keep his temper in check to a greater degree than a weak man with a temper.

That being said, I think Mal has a a certain point about Novas being governed but... I would rather he offered a public solution rather than simply raise a red flag. If you get the chance to talk to him in person, and I highly recommend it, ask him about some of his ideas to make his ideals come true... make sure you have a few hours to kill because you will be pretty much glued to the seat.

All in all, my guess is that Mal has his own idea of what Teras (the Teragen philsophy) is... but, because part of the philosophy is finding ones own path, he isnt willing to direct anyones progress... only possibly guiding them. His frusteration, however, is clear when he talks about it. I think he wont say it but he has a semi-specific right and wrong in his mind as far as Teras goes. I know from talking to other hardcore Terats that nobody knows for sure what he wants from them.

I’ll ignore that “human” is a political and not a scientific definition (which is a serious “elephant in the living room” problem).

Teras is a trans-humanism movement. The claim is that novas aren’t human and as such aren’t governed by their laws. In theory the movement advocates moving towards something, i.e. being nova.

• Dr. 'Mutagen' Okazaki: Becoming Teragen, apart from your possible affiliation to the rest of the group, is basically a question of acceptance as opposed to denial.

The White Rat:...Teras is a way of viewing one's place in the universe...

Leliel: Teras is about Enlightenment. The Enlightenment that comes from our inner spirit and leads us to Transcendence.

However, many (most?) of its members appear to continue to define themselves in terms of humanity. I.e. calling yourself “NOT-something” is still defining yourself in terms of that something. Moving away from something isn’t the same as moving towards something. This issue pops up again and again. For a few examples,

• Dr. Zero: To believe we are different than humanity….

Neil: some Terats ... get pissed when I go off and help baseline humanity.... I’ve never heard anyone accuse the typical farmer or member of the baseline animal rights movement of being “not-human”.

“Human laws don’t apply”… but no one appears able to define different laws although even the manifesto implies they are needed.

Many members of the Teragen appear to be extremely concerned about baseline laws, institutions etc. Geryon is a political terrorist. If a baseline wants to provoke him it’s pretty easy, pass a baseline law, start a baseline government program, make statements in public about novas, etc. One of the big things that Terrorists do is cause terror. But how many baselines care what members of other species think?

For all the talk about leaving baseline institutions behind and creating nova groups by and for novas, there haven’t been a lot (any?) good things, or heck, even just new things, come out of the movement. A few social clicks. Ironskin’s bar (which was started by a baseline). A few terror groups ironically devoted to baselines. Ignoring the Healing power (which wasn’t invented by Terats), the big medical advances for novas have come from Utopia. Where are the new social structures, the grand theories, the new medical programs? Their big offering appears to be Chrysalis, but every time we start to talk about failure-rates or side-effects people get irate and the topic gets dropped.

The more I see and hear of Teras the more I’m reminded of Communism, great in theory, not-so-great in practice.

Archived