"Why don't we just wait here for a little while.."

The scene with the autopsy is one I know is coming and it still gets me every single time.

This is actually not a remake - it is a prequel, telling the tale of the Norwegian team that found the Thing. Ron Moore has a screenwriting credit, so things are looking good so far.

Remake/Prequel...whatever. wink

When you are talking about a suspense/horror movie, many of the same things will almost definitely be done again. Especially when we have expectations.

Mind you, I'm not expecting some masterwork piece of crafted cinema, but I want my heart to skip a beat when I walk into my home and don't have a light on yet or if I'm walking down the hall towards my bedroom and swear I see movement.

I remember when I was 7 my oldest brother, who was in the Air Force, was in town visiting. He and my dad took took me to see a movie with the guy that played Han Solo. I remember going downtown, which wasn't that different from a 50s downtown, to the theater. I vividly remember getting my popcorn that I think was larger than I was. I remember sitting between them with this huge tub of buttered goodness, where my head barely reached over the top and just munching like a fiend as I watched Blade Runner in delight.

My parents were taking my brother out to dinner so I was left to spend the night with my 16 year old cousin. He told me that he was going to go see a movie that night and asked if I wanted to stay home alone or go with him. I asked him if he was seeing Blade Runner, because it was really good and I'd love to see it again, or we could go see E.T. which I also loved. He said no, he was seeing a horror movie. He said that I could only go if I promised to do what he said, not tell anyone and to definitely not cry or do anything to make him look stupid.

As we were driving to the mall he told me that wouldn't let me in so that he was going to have to sneak me in. We pulled around the back and he told me to hide behind some garbage until he came to get me. He said that if there were problems that I'd have to stay there until the movie was finished. I got out of the car and he peeled off with his friends.

I went all kinds of places as a kid, but rarely by myself, and definitely not this far away from home. I went and hid behind the dumpster and waited. It was dark and the area wasn't that well lit. It may have only been 10 minutes, but I felt like I was there for an eternity. I kept thinking about what he said, that I would have to wait until the end of the movie if there were problems. I was getting more and more freaked out as each second passed. Occasionally people would walk by and I would hunker down. I had no idea what would happen if people found me there. Would I get in trouble if I was caught? Should I run or stay? What would happen if I ran? Would my cousin find me?

Eventually the door opened slightly and I year my name whispered. I peaked out and saw my cousin's head peering. I ran over to him as fast as I could. He told me to be quiet and to stay close to him as we went into the theater.

I looked around and saw a packed house full of late teens and early twenty somethings. My cousin lead me to my seat and shortly after the lights went down. I remember the screen burning as the letters were exposed "The Thing."

When Norris has his heart attack and they try to revive him and his chest opens like a mouth I freaked out, along with everyone else in the theater. Then his head falls off and spider legs grow out I think my eyes about popped out of my head. I wasn't that scared after the movie was over. I don't think I could fully understand the movie. But I did know that I wanted to see it again as soon as possible. That was the year that I became addicted to movies.

When I went to school on Monday I asked everyone if they had seen it. Of course no one had. A couple years later I switched schools and finally found some other kids that had seen it as well. If you has seen The Thing then you were obviously a cool kid. If not we had to initiate you with it before you could hang out with us.

1982 was an amazing year for movies. Here are some of the movies that I fell in love with that year:

• 48 Hours
  • Class of 1984
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Creepshow
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Firefox
  • First Blood
  • Friday the 13th Part III
  • Megaforce
  • Night Shift
  • Pink Floyd The Wall
  • Poltergeist
  • Porky's
  • Rocky III
  • The Secret of NIMH
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  • The Thing
  • Tron

I don't think I saw them all at the theater, but my brother gave us a laserdisc player for Christmas. He would send us discs whenever he could and my dad would order them from a catalog. I think VHS stores started popping up shortly after that.

I wouldn't say that all of them are good movies, but my from 7-12 I wore those movies out.

Originally Posted By: Chosen
When Norris has his heart attack and they try to revive him and his chest opens like a mouth I freaked out, along with everyone else in the theater.

Yup, that's it, right there. This was on TV (on FOX I think) and I freaked right the hell out. I couldn't finish it. Didn't see the entire film until a few years later. Hell, that image still gives me the creeping willies.

I'm not really sure what to make of the trailer. I love the original. I know it is a sequel, but there are a few areas that either make it look like a remake or at least hinting at scenes people will recognize. After the Halloween, one of my other favorite Carpenter movies, remake(s) I am very skeptical.

Archived