The Fantastic Four (1994)

Matt

With all the recent super hero and toy movies, I thought it would be interesting to share something that most have not seen.

The Fantastic Four (1994)

In 1992, Constantin Film was about to lose its option on the film rights for Fantastic Four, unless production began by December. Without the $40 million in necessary funding for a full-budget film, producer Bernd Eichinger turned to Roger Corman for help.

Constantin Film permitted the director, actors and others involved in the film to believe that the studio intended to release it in theaters, rather than the film being a cinematic equivalent of an ashcan copy. The cast and crew did the film for low salaries after being told that if it did not get released to theaters, it would be used as the pilot for a potential television series.

Filming lasted a month and finished in January 1993, after which post-production began. The cast gave press interviews and attended comic book conventions in good faith. The studio announced a premiere date of 1994, at the Mall of America in Minnesota. In late 1993, the studio announced that the film would not be released because of the budget.

[end_news_blurb]

Ah yes, the "glories" of mid-1990s superhero films. Having seen that pile of stillborn crud beforehand, FOX's pair of F.F. flops really didn't look so bad by way of comparison.

AFA the studio in question, IIRC didn't they go bankrupt?

I HAVE a bootleg copy of this on VHS still.

And, after watching the theatrical releases of FF1 and FF2...I can say with a clear conscience: ALL THREE MOVIES STILL SUCKED!

And, while I'm hoping it will do well in theaters, I think Captain America is tainted because idiot...er...the guy who played the idiot in Fantastic Four (Johnny Storm) is playing Steve Rogers...not something that builds my confidence.

Though, in the actor's defense, he was in another "super" movie that I liked...a low budget (but fun) romp of a film called PUSH.

Archived