Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 11: Homecoming

Justin OOC

It had been two weeks since the climactic battle for the Empire, and the soul of Satoshi. The Imperial/Allied forces triumphed against heavy odds, but not without great damage to the Republic forces.

The arrival of half a dozen small fleets of Dalaraan warships, each making its way to Lunar orbit, had The Satoshi Captains alarmed, but unable to move. All Satoshi ships were heavily engaged in rebuilding the throneworld of the Empire, which had suffered greatly in the civil war.

Finally the entirety of the fleets began moving towards Dalaraan, in attack vector. Kai and everyone else stood on Macross' main bridge, as All the ships except the last Avalon class cruiser, the Melissa, which remained on station primed to jump out with the support personnel who'd been planetside. The eight Satoshi warships arrayed in a defensive posture, hoping it was all merely for show.

So much effort had been put into rebuilding the world, indeed, the citizens marveled at how much had been done in two weeks, Indeed many thought fondly of the earthings, for they worked tirelessly to restore a world that wasn't theirs, the world that until months before they'd fought the forces of so bitterly.

Dalaraans have long lives, and long memories, and as such do things slowly, compared to the ways of humans. With their comparative mayfly-like lives, the humans did more with technology that was beyond any ever seen in the empire,rebuilding great housing settlements and factories in weeks that would have taken years if not a decade for the Empire.

Kai looked to Lily, and then to the Admiral. The Admiral nodded, indicating the channel was open.

"This is Head Captain Kai Morisato, overall commander of all Satoshi forces, hailing the Dalaraan fleet now entering into orbit. Know that this world is under our provincial protection, In the Name of Crown Princess Aksaniolilly, and Regent Ryoko, until such time as the Emperor relieves us of this duty."

He waited as the channel was clear, and then the viewscreen came to life.

The emeperor sat, looking quite poor really, his robs hiding poorly all the lifesupport gear hooked into him, his eyes possessing none of the fire they'd seen before, more a glazed, dazed cloudiness.

His voice wasn weak, and wheezy. "You...Stand...Relieved..." The works were each punctuated by a cough, then a pause, as if he were trying to remember.

Kai nodded once. "All Satoshi Warships,Pull back to formal review, They're coming home."

The warships moved, forming a straight line of metal and power, all the guns and turrets raised high, the defense mecha even joining in, raising weapons in salute of the Empire's return home, as Imperial ships began to slowly move past. A single ship, bearing the crest of House Dylandiel, the major house that protected the breadbasket worlds of the Empire, and a House who'd supported the Republic, stopped parallel to the Macross, and raised its own turrets in the ancient salute, "Honors Received and returned."

When the last of the Fleet had passed by, only then did Kai give orders for the ships to return to stations. Everyone transferred to the Archangel, and then the massive starship descended to Dalaraan, landing at the crowded spaceport, well out as the fleet had taken the more central locations.

Kai looked out and watched the fleet deploy ground troops. "All Satoshi personnel, the Empire is deploying ground forces, do NOT respond with violence, simply acquiesce if they ask any questions of you." He looked to Lily and all the others, Hideko, Skye, Francis, Sakura, and Rebecca. The other captains would remain at their posts, Kai and Rebecca would be Satoshi's representatives at court.

"All right, is everyone ready to go? They're making right for the palace, and I'd like us to be on hand for this."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'll go on ahead if you don't mind," Lily said, watching the screens. "It's a small thing, but I'd like to be in the palace when they get there, not arrive after they do. I'll see you all inside."

Her gaze lingered on Kai for a second...and she was gone, reappearing inside the great hall of the palace to await the procession of the Empires rulers. Inwardly she was seething. A House of traitors who'd supported the attempted coup was out there exchanging honors with the ships who'd protected the Empire.

And her father was alive! The moon base had sat all this time under its defense shield, cut off from traffic and communication. Now the shield was down, but Lily couldn't go see her father without leaving the palace empty! It was enough to make her want to scream...but she had to face the nobles with some decorum. They'd be looking for signs of weakness; excuses to declare her unfit.

She had a terrible feeling that the civil war wasn't really over though. That it had merely switched venues.

Ryoko had reached out to her younger cousin, and then Lily was gone. Kai nodded. "Go ahead Ryoko, You are the standing Regent, you should be there as well."

She nodded once and was gone.

Appearing next to Lily, one step lower though, She gave her a look of admonition. "You could have waited for me you know. you do not have to face these jackals alone."

Always one with a crass tongue, Ryoko seldom held her peace, and she was easily just as agitated as Lily was regarding the current situation.

Meanwhile back on the ship, Kai shrugged. "Let's get going then."

Skye was silent – and apprehensive. She hadn’t spoken to anyone about what Ruri had learned from her tests, but sometimes she imagined that people just knew. Plus, the weird dreams about Kai had gotten more intense, and the lovely blonde was a little worried she was harboring a crush so deep and secret she wasn’t aware of it. That won’t make things awkward, at all.

When Kai called them all to motion, Skye fell into step next to him. He looked down at her and she said softly, “Having Tsunami’s priestess along might help. Or do you think I should go to the throne room?”

"You're one of us and in a way, one of them too Skye. It's your choice. For my choice, I'd have you come with us, as you are human. Let's not take any risks. Lily and Ryoko, even Sasami don't seem to mind it, but the people they're going to meet might."

He gave her a warm smile, and she had a sense of deja vu, and knew she'd seen that smile before, when times were so much simpler.

Ryoma, Eiji, and Georgi were staying with the forces. Ruri, Klan, and Kai, along with Rebecca would be Satoshi's official representation. Klan had been micronized again, and sighed. "Even Ruri looks older than me now."

For the first time many of them had seen, a faint smile curled the lips of the Captain of CRT-4.

Sakura had done everything she could to help over the last few weeks, pouring herself into helping the people, but also taking a about two hours each day to work out a bit, to hone her skills, and to relax a bit in the evening with some of the teams, sense working without relaxing was a good way to burn out.

Now, with the new arrivals, she wondered what was going to happen next, and she spoke up. "I wish to join you, if I may." Her words were calm and soft, but there was strength behind them.

"Of Course Sakura. You, Hideko, Francis, along with everyone else in this group, you helped saved this world. You have every right to come with us."

He nodded. "Let's go."

With that he led them from the ship and towards the palace, passing many of the returning Satoshi patrols. Now that they were relieved, they returned to the ship, to stand guard there.

Klan looked to Kai. "The people don't seem overjoyed."

The few people who were actually watching, they looked almost fearful at the return of the nobility.

At Kai’s welcoming words to her, Skye grimaced a little. …have you come with us, you are human… The flash of déjà vu didn’t help; those were becoming unfortunately common. What is happening to me? Only her depression kept her from turning into a fearful hysterical mess over the entire situation – she was too tired to get worked up about it.

As they walked, Skye wondered what they’d make of her wearing their robes, carrying Prince Alaric’s sword. Skye didn’t give a schissee what they thought. She believed that they’d lost the right to an opinion about what happened to their heritage when they abandoned it to the arschlochs who wrecked it in the first place. She rather hoped her wearing a royal sword grated their arschs like parmesan cheese, honestly.

When Klan made her remark, Skye wasted no time in announcing her opinion. “The nobles took off and left the planet to its fate, now they’re gonna crawl back and try to pick up where they left off. It’s a schissee-arsch move and the people know they can’t stop it.” The look Skye gave Kai suggested that they could – and should.

Kai nodded. "Yes, that's my opinion as well." It was clear that the young Skeleton Key had been thinking on this, and that his sense of altruism to wards the nobility was not particularly deep.

He was here because he had to be.

In the great hall, her petite frame dwarfed by the vaulted ceilings and grand architecture; even by the imensity of the Throne itself, Lily nodded gratefully at Ryoko and watched the enormous doors at the far end that led out into the wide corridor that would pass through the gatehouse and to the main gates themselves. She found herself wondering when such devices as castles had ever been useful to the Dalaraan. Those of the Blood could fly over walls, or pry them apart with blasts of energy, or just teleport directly in.

Maybe that explained why the Houses had such influence. One Pure noble was worth dozens, even hundreds of soldiers of lesser lineage.

But that felt off to Lily. Surely it couldn't just be warfare. Dalaraan culture was ancient, and had many traditions that had nothing to do with war. Art and athletics and literature and science...underneath it all was an ethic of self-advancement. Achieving the maximum of one's potential, whatever that potential might be.

The political system seemed...oddly misaligned to that ethic in many ways, but the Pure Dalaraan, those of the major Houses, who's lineage to the Goddess was intricately mapped and determined to fall within certain standards of purity...they were meant to serve as exemplars. They were supposed to be pure of spirit, not just of blood. To teach and to guide...perhaps just by being.

"We really blew it," she muttered softly. No wonder Tsunami had been reluctant to step in; to risk herself on their behalf. The Dalaraan had failed her long ago, and had continued to do so to this very day. They'd failed her by failing themselves. Allowing the ethos of self-perfection to degenerate into complacency. The Emperor perhaps not...he had always been one to challenge himself. But Lily herself had fallen prey to it. Relying on her natural inherited power to coast by, doing as well as others and counting it success even though it was no real difficulty.

Until she'd come to Earth, and everything had changed. She'd been faced with problems and enemies that truly tested her, truly challenged her...and now she had grown beyond anything she'd ever imagined possible before. She had fallen, but had found her way back. Maybe she could help the other Houses do the same.

"Ryoko," she said into the hollow silence of the Hall, "Once the formalities are done with, I want to see my father. He's been behind that damned shield all this time, and...I don't know. He seemed off. Even given what's happened to him. I need to see him. Will you cover for me after I can pry myself loose?"

"If I am not enough Princess, I assure you your allies will provide a massive focal point for our enemies here at court. Enough so, that the opportunity to Meet Privately with your father will certainly present itself. Remember they likely saw parts of that battle, they know some of the truth. You are not someone to be trifled with."

"Says the pot to the kettle."

The Emperor was brought into the room, the Hover lounger also serving to carry the equipment used to keep him alive. The Nobles, including the Leader of House Dylandiel followed closely behind.

The emperor came to where Lily and Ryoko stood, and Ryoko bowed first. "My Emperor, Welcome home."

He seemed not to notice at first. "You have fulfilled what I asked of you, Ryoko."

He looked to Lily, his weakened voice and body seeming to color just a little bit more. "Daughter, attend me, help me to my throne."

Lily gave Ryoko a quick, worried look, then hurried forward to the Emperor's conveyance. Upon reaching him she gave him the gentlest hug she could manage.

"Father, you're alive," she sighed. "I saw the transmission but...it's just good to see you. To be sure." She backed off a little and smoothed his hair back from his forehead. "Are you sure you're ready?"

"Time waits for no one, Daughter, least of all me." Once there, she helped him up, and Ryoko came unbidden, helping transfer the equipment. "I am glad the two of you are safe. I have much to do, and much that involves the two of you."

--------------------

Kai and the others made it to the Palace and took note of the guards who didn't seem thrilled to admit them into it. That said, none barred their path as The Delegation made their way inside.

They came to the massive doors, and found them barred shut.

"You all must wait. The Imperial court has matters to discuss."

---------------------------

"Take your places at my sides, and we shall begin."

The Emperor waited for them to comply, clearly the effort he'd already expended was beginning to tax him.

Osprey adjusts herself under her black cloak. Something her sister gave her before the arrival of the imperial fleet. The Shirasu and Rathbone families merged, and bits of western influence made their mark, but when the family was ravaged down to the last two daughters of the family's main line, it was desided to change the family's colors to black, for mourning the probable death of the family line. For it was also assumed Rebecca was dead as well. The family crest displays prominently on a brooch on her left shoulder and the hood is down and she's decided to keep her helmet in it's open configuration.

"That's fair enough... The matters of state are not for us to meddle with..." Rebecca states in her British accent, slightly lessened by a distinct American taint. She looks for a seat. "Kai... after you."

"True," Francis commented... "but I would think that if they don't get an appropriate reminder that these Houses are standing on thin ice and the status quo is not acceptable... we might have to rebuild this planet again in the future, I fear." But he sat down too, shaking his head. "Politics."

As if by reflex his hands sunk to his sides, one resting itself on his laser pistol... and the observant at this time would notice what appeared to be an old several-shot revolver holstered on the opposite side.

Rebecca walks over to Francis, opening her cloak and letting it drape over her shoulders like a cape and crosses her arms. "I'm not so sure it will come to that, Francis... this nation is already on the verge and we will probably be assisting them for the foreseeable future."

She looks at Francis' two sidearms. "Heh... I still need a sidearm of my own. I'll have to requisition one at some point. Just... make sure they're firmly holstered when we are allowed to walk in. Wouldn't be surprised if they ask everyone to disarm."

"Kai" She glanced at the guards on either side of the doors, then back at Kai a moment. "Don't you think a grand entrance of sorts is in order? To make a point?" She already had an idea, and wasn't happy about being made to wait. She knew the guards were doing their duty at the moment, but if she had the slightest bit of encouragement, she'd impress a point or two upon the gathered court.

I'd thought about it, but we're the outsiders here Sakura. I don't want to make any trouble for Lily or Ryoko, so we wait, and we play it cool."

He looked at the guards who stood unmoving.

This seemed to be important whatever was going on inside.

-------------------

"The Humans are outside." One of the nobles muttered. "Where they belong, filthy barbarians. They have no concept of war."

The muttering continued, and it was easy to see the 12 Great houses largely distrusted and hated the humans who had come to the Empire's aid. Only 3 Great families held their tongues, the three who'd fought for the Empire, and knew well how wrong the others were.

Ryoko sighed. "These old men are just mad that they got beat by children in their eyes."

Three, Lily thought. Three of twelve. Not the best odds. We've got our work cut out for us.

"I wonder if they know about the Dalaraan mixing with humanity," she said softly to Ryoko. "I still can't decide if that helps our case or hurts it."

She squeezed her father's shoulder and took a step back to his side.

"This will only get worse daughter." He said quietly. "The fact your Consort is human has been a subject for great debate among all the houses."

Ryoko's eyes widened, then narrowed. Something was afoot.

"Compromises will have to be made to satisfy everyone, such is the lot of Royalty."

Skye sighed and rotated her neck. Let them try to disarm us, she thought, anger coloring her thoughts. Skye didn't go anywhere without those things she refused to leave behind forever. Hence her whip and fans were always one here; now the sword remained with her always.

Her robes swished as she idly stalked around the hallway, bored. As she passed the guards, she gave them a smile. It was an inviting smile, warm and welcoming. Then she was pacing past them, that mysterious smile still gracing her lips.

The guards had a noticeably different reaction to Skye, as it was well-known she was Tsunami's chosen Priestess.

"Our apologies, Priestess, of course you may enter. The rest of you will have to wait outside."

They brought up their weapons, and gestured that they all move aside so the door could be opened for Skye.

"Kai... I really really want to make a point. These cowards have stood by and let their people die in battle to preserve their own selves.. then they let us fight a battle they should have been fighting.. please.. can't we do something that makes it clear that they can't continue as they are... they are trying to ignore what happened though, by keeping us out here, they are suggesting that we don't matter." She wanted to reach out and tear the doors off their hings, something to make it clear to the nobles inside that they couldn't ignore the recent events.

"If necessary perhaps we can challenge their champions to demand a change? Perhaps, there a law or tradition in this empire to allow a challenge to be regarded as one of their great nobles?"

"No. Such interferance will backfire on us if we fail. Big-time." Rebecca cautions Sakura. "Also knowing what I know of these people, diplomacy can still win out." She says those last words as if she had gotten an education on the Dalaraan people. "They are a long lived race and old habits die hard, but the young have a chance. Let the next generation decide, and right now they are there." She says pointing past the doors into the central chamber of the palace. "We should put our weight behind that."

"We would be fighting Lily, or Ryoko, or both in that case Sakura." There was an edge to Kai's voice that they'd not heard before. His thoughts echoed Sakura's, but he knew he had to be able to keep cool.

When the Lieutenant spoke, he nodded. "We have. Until diplomacy isn't an option, we will abide their customs."

Skye started at the guard’s words and she snuck a glance at Kai. He was wroth and she wasn’t sure why she knew that, but she was sure that he was somewhere far beyond pissed. He gave her a quick nod and she turned to the guards. “Of course. Thanks, guys,” she said, sauntering toward the door. As they opened it with a smile to answer hers, added, “May the peace of Tsunami be upon you.”

“And you,” the two men echoed in reply.

Casually, the priestess shifted her sword to the side, where it would be seen. She rather hoped the nobles would raise a stink about it. Skye stalked into the room, full of poise and confidence. “Hey, all,” she said cheerfully, ignoring any hard looks from the joined nobles. There were a lot of them, and she was positive that only the divine aura of Tsunami kept her from being ejected by the angry nobles. “I was outside with the heroes of the realm and we wondered what the holdup was. I mean, the guys who saved your planet are outside, waiting to see ya’ll.”

Click to reveal..
I don't know what the proper blessings for Tsunami is (considering it's a made-up religion) so assume what I put is appropriate.

Lily froze for a fraction of a second, then did the only thing she could think of to salvage the situation.

She called out, "The court recognizes Skye Fell, the high priestess of Tsunami!"

They couldn't just ignore her now, or have her escorted out. At the same time, there were rules for recognition that Skye would have to either observe or work around, or another speaker could petition to be heard over her.

Trying not to be too obvious about it, Lily beckoned Skye over, hoping to talk to her before she said more.

The nobility stared at Skye the way they'd stare at Dalaraan Star Adder, perhaps one of the most lethal snakes to live. No one missed Alaric's sword at her hip, as the door closed behind her. She strode in with such confidence, though she was a child compared to them.

Lily's quick reaction managed to salvage the situation somewhat. Dylandiel was the one who spoke. "So this is our new head Priestess? Welcome to Dalaraan, Lady Fell. On behalf of my bretheren in the noble court, we extend our own welcome, and hope that your tenure will be long and prosperous."

The man oozed charm, none of his words sincere in the slightest. The other members of the court reigned in their emotions, barely, as evidently Dylandiel held sway over them.

"As to the matter of your company, They may have saved the Empire, but from who? Their own enemies were here, and much of the damage to our throneworld was caused by the two Satoshi Battlegroups fighting each other. Entire areas of the planet were little more than scorched earth, many of our cities in ruins."

He looked to the others. "Thank them if you must, then send the humans home. Their little backwater world has cost the Empire too much in the last handful of years, it is time to either conquer the world or abandon it."

"Are we starting that debate already?" Lily asked. "Because if so, then there are a number of things you're leaving out. I'll assume out of ignorance, since surely no High Lord would ever seek to knowingly decieve this chamber."

"But I thought, before any discussion began, we would wait to hear our Emperor."

She locked eyes with Dylandiel. "I trust you can wait that long? After all, we here at the Throneworld have certainly waited on you."

If his gaze could have ignited Lily, she'd have been cinder and ash upon the wind. Then his whole demeanor changed, as if he knew something she didn't.

"Very well, Princess, I am a patient man. I withdraw my statement, and stand ready to hear what our Emperor has to say." His words made her skin crawl. Something was definitely afoot.

Looking to the Emperor, he actually looked even more tired than before.

"We shall hear the humans, then I will determine what will be done next."

The nobles began to mutter, but Dylandiel of all people, gave them a look that silenced all complaint. The three nobles who'd backed the Empire didn't move or speak, though this too was quite telling.

I'm making faces at you, Skye thought at Dylandiel as she moved to stand next to Lily. I'm sticking out my tongue and crossing my eyes at you. Can you feel it? Like an itch in your brain? You're lucky Tsunami didn't grant me the power to make your brain itch, buddy.

The impossibly beautiful priestess had much more to say to the verdammt noble, but she held her tongue for now. Even she knew you didn't interrupt or talk over a king of any realm. When he was done, she added softly, "And it was Takashi who wanted to raze this palace and world to the ground, not the humans." Lily alone had any chance of catching the oddness of her saying 'the humans' instead of 'us' or 'we humans'. "We saved what we could," Skye added, her voice firm, "in Tsunami's name, and at her bidding."

Dylandiel nodded. "And Takashi was human."

The Emperor nodded. "Allow The Humans entry."

The great doors swung open, and Kai lead the procession. The nobles all stared daggers at him, and everyone in the procession. He bowed his head in respect but no more, sending a ripple of disproval through the nobles.

Sometimes the grandest gestures, were the simplest and most quiet. "You called to us for aid, and we have come, and rendered it."

The Emperor, focusing his efforts and energies nodded. "I recognize you, Head Captain Kai Morisato, of Satoshi. The Empire thanks you for your timeless service. Out of great respect for this I invite you to stay for my daughter's wedding, as honored guests."

Ryoko looked to Lily, and nodded. "That's the game."

All eyes looked either to the Princess, or her former consort.

Kai looked to Dylandiel, who was trying to hide his grin of smug satisfaction.

"I..." He stopped, his hand nearing Senbonzakura's hilt, until he looked up at Lily, and it dropped to his side. "In the name of peace between Earth and the Empire, I accept your invitation."

He saw it all clearly what had transpired in the weeks of isolation, and how no matter what he'd done or said, Lily, or the Dalaraan people would be the ones who would suffer most.

He chose the path of the leader, though the cost of those words personnally was incalculable.

Lily hadn’t known, that much was apparent. Interesting truth and justice there, Liles, Skye thought sardonically, choking back her initial reply of “Oh, fuck no you didn’t!” in full-volume German. Instead, she said archly, “Interesting that Tsunami was not consulted before this arrangement was made. Proceeding without the blessing of your goddess on the marriage of one her children, especially such an important one, is unwise.” Though her words were mild enough, there was a warning in her blue eyes.

Let’s hope that buys Lily some wiggle room, she thought, her expression mildly rebuking but not dangerously so. Who knew all those years in Lawrence’s court would come in handy again?

Archived