The Hobbit

It's been official for a while, but until I saw a photo of somebody in actual costume and makeup I was still wondering if it was for real. This makes it so. Martin Freeman is Bilbo and you can buy that in the sixty odd years between the Hobbit and LotR he might age into Ian Holm's Bilbo. I'm sold. You?

ImageFreemanBilbo062311-thumb-550x381-65

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The only dwarf so far who looks "wrong" is Kili, who just seems like he needs to eat. I can't trust a skinny dwarf.

Thorin should be the last to come out, probably today tomorrow, if my count is right. There should be 2 more today who's names escape me.

Edit: Balin and Dwalin, IIRC

My problem isn't really with the dwarves, but the presentation. I think they look like very detailed figures or statues. It is the lighting and backdrop that bothers me. Something about having perfect lighting makes it seem undwarvish. The pictures are still nice, and as I said, I think that they'll look great in the actual movie.

Whenever I see the Kili pic I just see Seth Green. I looked up the actor's picture and he looks nothing like Seth, but that is still the first thing that comes to mind for me.

hbt-dwf-005.jpg

"Dwarf Lords in their own right, Balin and Dwalin are close relatives of Thorin. Beyond this, these brothers are two of his most loyal and trusted friends. An old warrior, Balin has lived through hard times and fought many battles, yet he harbors doubts about the wisdom of the Quest to retake the Lonely Mountain. Dwalin has no such forebodings – his belief in Thorin’s leadership is unshakeable. A powerful and bruising fighter, with a natural tendency to distrust anyone who is not a Dwarf, particularly anyone who might be an Elf, Dwalin is not someone to cross lightly."

(L-R) Ken Stott as Balin and Graham McTavish as Dwalin

You are probably correct, but I think there is a chance that some element of Smaug may be seen early in the movie when the dwarves sing of Lonely Mountain. There could be a flashback scene from years earlier where Smaug lays waste to the area. I don't think he'll be shown in full detail, but there could be at least a tease of him.

Speaking of the 2 movies, where do you think they'll divide the film?

Chosen, it's most likely nothing but smoke and mirrors, but I found an article and a piece of concept art: http://www.moviereporter.net/news/6930.

The art: http://www.moviereporter.net/assets/news....jpg?1278676696

In German it says that it's made by the American concept artist Peter Konig, and that it's unclear whether it will be the basis for Smaug.

But since it looked pretty awesome, I thought you might want to see it.

Thanks Anatoly. Cool pic.

I can't imagine that they would let an artist release the image though. If he worked on it I can only imagine that image wasn't accepted. They do thousands of images for characters so there should be a lot of those at some point in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived