Matt

RPG Post Updates

267 posts in this topic

Mods have a lot of abilities here. There are some that they do not have due to the nature of being Storytellers and not actual mods. I am working my way though the forums. Each forum/moderator has to be set individually so there is a good chance that some settings are not correct. That the long winded way of saying I'll look into it.

Question: how do you email a post/thread under the new forums? There used to be an option for email post which would then allow you to choose entire thread. That doesn't appear to be an option in the new forums unless I'm missing it.

The link is at the bottom left of the thread page. There is a row of 10 icons.

I'm still having trouble with spoiler threads only working half of the time.

The issue that I actually wanted to bring up, though, is: Is there a way to restore the unread posts/thread counts for a forum? As is, I've missed that people posted in multiple threads because the same person who had last posted last time I checked had posted again in the same thread.

Are you having trouble reading or creating spoilers?

Unfortunately the option to display the unread posts/thread count per forum is not available at this time. With the old software it was advised not to use it except on small sites with minimal traffic because it required a lot of server resources to run. There is an alternative that takes an extra step but offers more info. It does this to not have to load the number of new posts until you are actually wanting to see it. Instead of checking every single thread in 165 forums and adding them all every time someone visits it requires you to hit a button to get the results. The downside is that it doesn't work when looking at the forum listing on the main forum page. Perhaps everyone has figured this one out already, but if you haven't let me explain this alternative.

Either within the forum you are interested in, the new content page or in the Recent Topics box if you hover over a post you will see a gray circle with an arrow pointing down just to the left of the number of replies and views. Click this and you will get a overview of the thread including the first, first unread and last post. If there are new posts it will give you the number of new posts for this thread and you can quickly jump to the first, first unread or last post from there.

If there are new posts you will always see a dark gray box on the left with a red circle or star if you have posted in it. If you click that it will take you to your first unread post.

In the View New Content page you can filter to only show forums that you are interested in.

I know that none of the things I mentioned are the exact same functionality, but I think it is a fair trade off and I actually prefer the new ways after getting used to it. Granted I've been playing around with this longer than anyone else.

I did not know that.

My trouble with the spoilers is reading them. About half of the time, the spoiler will not show when I click on the button. The only fix I've found for this is refreshing the page, sometimes repeatedly. From comments made by others in chat, I believe that I am not the only one having this issue.

Please post the spoiler issue in the tracker. Anyone else having the issue please respond to the issue there so that I can get a better understanding of what is going to so that I can try to fix it. I haven't encountered the issue so I'll need help figuring it out.

General note to everyone: Please include your browser with any tracker issues.

In the View New Content page you can filter to only show forums that you are interested in.

How does one do this? I tried fiddling with it the other day and had a major fail and still get all the forums.

How does one do this? I tried fiddling with it the other day and had a major fail and still get all the forums.

click on the gear icon. on the list of the forums, highlight all of them by clicking the top one, the holding shift and clicking the bottom one.

Then, while holding down Ctrl, click the forums you WANT TO SEE in the recent posts list. Hit save.

Voila.

Damon gave the instructions for the Recent Topics which is at the top of the forum homepage, not the View New Content page. I'm not sure which you are actually asking about, but the View New Content page works a little differently. For it the bottom option in the left menu is Filter by forum. If you click that you'll get a popup that lists all the forums that you can view. Just click the forums you want to see results for and when you are done hit save. You don't have to hit Ctrl to select multiple forums with it.

Oops, my bad. What I get for posting after work in the wee hours.

Thank you both - I'll play around with those and see which one I like - I appreciate the help.

Chosen, the Tags don't seem to be functioning. I tagged my four WoT blogs but when I click on the tab I get 4 seemingly random posts and not the four blogs.

The tags is definitely an issue. It is a software issue that is being worked on by the forum developers so nothing I can do about it at this point. It will be fixed by them though.

Users could never delete their posts. They can edit them but not delete.

Just thought I'd mention the same trouble with spoiler threads, some times I click the show button and nothing happens.. ironically older threads with spoilers imported from the previous forums don't have that issue, and I have no idea why.. for the time being, I suppose I'll have to keep refreshing the page until I can see what I want too.

Is it possible to align images? left right? If so, what should I be typing?

Users could never delete their posts. They can edit them but not delete.

We might not have been supposed to have that option, but before, you could click edit, then on the edit screen choose to delete the post. I've deleted several of my own posts when I posted with the wrong account on the prior site.

Yeah, in the old software I must have deleted a half-dozen posts a month made with the wrong login.

There was a delete but it had a time limit on it. I modified this so that you can soft delete thing, which means it is hidden from public view. I am going to test this out for a little bit.

Just thought I'd mention the same trouble with spoiler threads, some times I click the show button and nothing happens.. ironically older threads with spoilers imported from the previous forums don't have that issue, and I have no idea why.. for the time being, I suppose I'll have to keep refreshing the page until I can see what I want too.

Please post something in the tracker with your browser and OS so that I can look into it.

I posted about this in the tracker but I want to post in here that new registrations require a unique email address. If you create a new account with a separate account you can PM me after and I will switch it to your regular email address. Of if you want me to create the account for you just PM me your character/login name and password and I'll create it for you.

Is it possible to align images? left right? If so, what should I be typing?

There is an icon of an arrow going left and right that will open up the float content box. The code to float/align is:

[float=left]Content[/float] or [float=right]Content[/float]

The float may break the page a little on the preview but as of this post it displays properly in the thread.

There is also a align image button to give you a quicker way to align an image.

I just tried updating my prefs for the Recent Topics to show the past 10 threads rather than the default 5 and nothing changed. I refreshed to no effect as well. Tried again and set it to show only 3 topics and no change.

No rush for a fix, mind, but I thought I would mention it

Edit: It appears that the forum software works fine, it just needs a few minutes to register the update in some way before it begins to display the new number of topics.

The second checkbox is:

Show default number of topics chosen by Admin

If you check this option, next setting won't have any effect

It was selected. I turned it off and could see all 10 posts in your account.

Currently you can find it on the old site. :blush: I haven't finished the static elements yet.

Chosen, the Tags don't seem to be functioning. I tagged my four WoT blogs but when I click on the tab I get 4 seemingly random posts and not the four blogs.

Tags have now been fixed.

The projects have been re-opened. They are now password protected. If you had access before the switch and want to get back into one of the forums just PM me a request and I'll give you the password.

I am currently adding all of the EON content into the site. I am trying to make sure the files are the best file types for users today. For example, there were a lot of things that were in zip files for no reason. I originally planned on putting the content on external pages to the website, but after working on it for a bit I think it makes more sense to put them into the forum. I am tagging the content I am working on now and will need to go back and tag the stuff I included last year.

If it existed before it will be ported over with one exception. There were write-ups in the download for things that never materialized. Trinity: Desert Sands is an example of one that the only reference that I can find to it is BT saying that it was abandoned.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I will be adding more each week until I make it through it all.

Lots and lots of Trinity Universe files have been added to the site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'd love the ability to hide forums that I don't want to see. There are a ton of games on the site these days that I'm not participating in and really have no desire to see when I log in. It would be great if we could have an option to hide them so that I only see the forums I want to follow. If there is one option that you could add, that's the one I'd choose.

</div></div>

Triple ditto

This can be an option now, but it would require a couple of big changes to the way things are presented. If people are interested in this I can create a games subsection of the site. By default no games will show up on the forum page. When someone creates a new game a new forum is automatically created under the correct category. Then players have to be given permission to post in the game. Whenever you are added to the game it would show up on your forum page as well as in the games page. Think of the games page as similar to the downloads page now.

I was going to recommend this in conjunction with the Categories tags in order to basically automate everything. But when that got shot down I didn't feel like mentioning this part.

With the ability to collapse entire sub-sections (i.e. the "don't show me game systems I don't play" option) and the ability to fully customize the Recent Topics box I don't really need/want to hide individual games nearly as much as I did. That's just me though.

I also don't like the idea of games not being visible at all to people who aren't playing them as I think that that would make this site less friendly to new people and harder for new players to join games and the site in general.

The games are all visible, just not on the forum page. They are visible only on the game page.

I would prefer not to have the categories broken up into individual forums that can each be manually ignored. I like the current set-up as far as that part goes, and having to give permission to everybody who wanted to play in a game would make it harder to recruit new players. In my game, for example, most people express an interest by posting in the recruitment thread in my forum instead of pm'ing me.