Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Corperate Manouvers [3.2]

The first meeting with other groups had been with Sophia Rousseau, now it was time to check in with another one of the players. Alicia DeVris, the world's so called, smartest woman, and the CEO of DeVris, was willing to speak with them privately, in a Penthouse, somewhere in the Bahamas. Unlike Sophia, who had looked to meet them in an out of the way city, Alicia wanted to meet them in the heart of a city, in the penthouse suite of one of her own hotels.

Darrik didn't feel that Ms. DeVries had anything to gain by ambushing her own prospective business partners and clientele, but the concerns of his family were not unfounded altogether, and there was nothing to lose by humoring them. Thus Darrik did not come out of the shadows with Cora in the hotel or in front of it, but instead the parking garage, having used OpNet reference photos to study the entire hotel.

He was dressed quite well, not hard when using eufiber, having focused it into his most preferred outfit. Special pants, shirt and jacket, and white gloves that balanced elegance and classy tones with a feeling of informality and casual freedom of movement. Of course, he'd insisted the same on Cora. They'd had more time to prepare for Madame Rosseau, he'd have done the same.

"All right," he mentioned to his sister in seductively rich tones, "feel free to do your reconnaissance before we head in."

Click to reveal..
Darrik's iconic look:

Shadow_by_DevilsHaven.jpg

Click to reveal..
Art roll as another day has passed, burning will... http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3072747/ Seven successes

Coraline felt... content this morning. Not happy one iota with how she had acted under the invasive presense of Pip's new charisma, but after a night of pouring her upset into her sculpture in progress and making very nice progress on chipping out the contour of the figure's bodies against a smooth background she hadn't quite decided what it would be yet, she could look her reflection in the eye and not cringe.

Click to reveal..
Apperance+Style roll, three megas first. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3072757/ so four success.

Not that there was a lot she felt about complaining lookswise regarding her apperance right now. The currently 5'6 black-haired asian teenager with the chorus of voices and blue-on-black eyes had morphed up a simple, long-sleeved grey dress with a pair of sensible boots and tights underneath, understated and classy in her opinion as suited someone on back up. She nodded her head once in response to Darrik's comment and strode to the edge of the parking garage facing the building, took a deep breath, and let her senses unfurl all the way, losing herself to the totality of the world to find if Devries was worthy of their trust.

Click to reveal..
Perception+Awareness First four mega dice, activating E-M Vision for a point of Quantum... http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3072777/ So, nine Successes plus three auto successes, twelve.

There didn't seem to be any particular out of the ordinary security measures. But Alicia was the world's wealthiest woman, it was only expected that there were some whenever she went anywhere. Still, Cora had a list of things and people she had said that she would bring, including the two dedicated nova bodyguards, that she had said were trusted and discreet. There was nothing that wasn't supposed to be there, after the metamorph was done looking.

"Okay. We're clear far as I can tell," commented Coraline softly, "Take us up and into the meeting place."

She frowned, looking down and away, "Do you... Do you think we can make a day of it out here presuming we don't get shot at during the meeting or more orphan 2nd Gens in need come up? In the outside Baseline world, I mean. I don't want to be around Pip right now after... Well, not right now anyway."

The young metamorph sighed, hugging herself.

Darrik glanced at his sister with a generous smile, but it looked too damn wicked as well. Her suggestion had a lot of merit to it, and he felt that sometimes, hiding in plain sight could work for once. Especially in some places, like say... the Rainbow Room? "An excellent idea. I don't think you've ever been to Ibiza, have you? I think an afternoon there would be quite excellent. And pure fun. But... business before pleasure."

The network was up and running now, so Darrik sent a message to the rest of the clan. *Cora says the hotel is clear. We're going to say hello to Ms. DeVries now.* Gesturing in a welcoming manner to Cora, he stepped into a choice patch of dark with her... and they whipped into the ornate doorway of the penthouse.

The door opened to a lovely and tastefully decorated living room of sorts, with Alicia sitting in a comfortable chair with several couches and chairs around a coffee table. She was wearing a fine dress, her hair perfectly styled, and her gaze sharp as she looked up and smiled at the two of you, and waved for you to enter. The coffee table had several different magazine's on it, and there was a book on the lampstand beside her, apparently she'd been relaxing a bit..

"Welcome, please, have a seat, would you like a drink, or refreshments?" She looked Darrik over a moment, then smiled. "Well, if it isn't the infamous and elusive Shadowheart himself, I wondered where you had vanished to Darrik."

Then she turned her gaze to Cora and her eyes seemed to light up slightly with delight. "And who is your lovely friend, Darrik, she is quite a vision."

"Coraline Boehm," answered the young metamorph for herself, chorus of tones composed and confident now that they were on the job, thoughts as secure as she could make them behind her psychic shield, "I'm here to make sure he doesn't get in more trouble then he can handle."

"That's Coraline for you." Darrik commented with a teasing grin and a voice that suggested her concern for him was overwrought. Darrik took the proffered seat and sat comfortably, smiling politely at Alicia. "No refreshments thank you, your presence is satisfying enough."

"So.. what can I do for the two of you, when my old friend Shen, the nova known as the Traveler, called me, and I haven't heard from him in years mind you, for a quite and private meeting, I was intrigued." She looked the two of you over a moment, and her incredibly sharp mind put things together quickly.

"You were born nova's weren't you? And your here to speak to me as envoy's of a sort from a group of folks like you?" Though her words were questions, the tone left no doubt that she was certain about what she was saying.

Darrik chuckled with amusement, before nodding quietly to acknowledge her insight. "Running DeVries has kept you sharp as always, Alicia." Using the rapport of his charisma and the use of her first name to establish some position to begin, "And yes, I suppose we are. After all, we have a manifold collection of talents among us, and DeVries would stand to benefit by having access to freelancers who can lend their extensive advantages to DeVries operations that are generally out of the public eye."

Coraline frowned gravely, eyes narrowing at the idea of risking her family in such criminally stupid manner even if her ever-changing apperance would allow such a thing. As if she would want to for Baselines and Slaves. But she held her tongue and resisted the impulse to say anything, allowing Darrik to work his magic.

She noticed Cora's reaction almost immediately. "Don't like it? Listen, youngling, the world opperates by certain principles, and baselines outnumber us a 100 million to 1.. it's their world. You don't have to like it, but for now, we have to live with it. Until we have a different world, we can either work with it, as Utopia does.. against it as Teragen does.. withdraw from it, as the Protectors have.. or make the best of what we can, to our best advantage, while watching our backs, as DeVris does."

Click to reveal..
Just realized, Krul, it's Anna DeVries, not Alicia DeVries.

*Control your emotions, Cora. Get angry, and your position weakens.* Darrik warned his sister mentally before moving in verbally to mollify the situation. "I think Cora simply doesn't care for the public eye. Indeed, we're trying to operate the same way as DeVries, albeit more circumspectly."

He paused with a calm smile as he continued. "DeVries... will always have less than public operations that need support. We can provide powerful novas to aid on such operations. It won't cost the corporation a cent... not monetarily anyway. Each service for a favor to be called in when we decide so. It's not as if such favors will be unfair.

Darrik's voice took on a serious tone. "Considering you're in an economic war with Utopia, and the linked, never-dying Project Proteus has accounted for a good number of valued employees- especially the Elites." Reminding Anna that his father had been an Employee and of the care that DeVries had made themselves reputed for giving their good men and women was a nice touch.

Coraline nods apreciation at Darrik and confirmation of their desire, blue-on-black eyes forcibly relaxing and hands smoothing out non-existant wrinkles in her eufiber dress as Darrik played the little fact-finding gambit she had suggested they try to draw their host out.

Click to reveal..

Actually, I've made that mistake before.. ah well.

"So your offering to be a silent partner of sorts on the matter. It sounds like my folks are taking the risks, and yours are reaping the harvest.. I have a counter proposal.. based on your words and manner, you have a good number of folks your speaking for. Have some of your people, two or three of them, sign on with DeVris for a contract, I'm willing to limit it to a year, I'm fairly sure you have folks with the skills to do just about anything. In exchange, I'll give your group full access to DeVris resources."

Darrik steeping his fingers for a long moment, considering the option presented. Secrecy was something his family valued highly, but Alex had once spoken of the limits that they would face before full discovery. And frankly, the offer was just too tempting. Of course, Anna was trying to get herself the best deal.

*Everyone, start thinking about if they're willing to take some time for DeVries... I think some temp work will get us big dividends down the road. She's offering a year's contract for two people in exchange for full access to DeVries resources. I think we should take it. I'm going to haggle for six months though.*

With that general message sent, Darrik leaned back and nodded slowly. "That sounds reasonable... depending on what you had in mind for them to do?"

Suicide. This was suicide, nothing more, nothing less. Get one or more of her siblings bound up in these Slave's chains for a year, public and open, and the odds of something happening to cause the Motherhunters to... No. Not her choice to make. let Darrik finish the deal enough for a group vote and *then* explode at him.

And if they voted in favor, shadow anyone volunteering to be one of Anna's Slaves 24-7 while they were on the job. Volunteer herself if they voted against that and be the one to take point. At least she could run and hide long enough to be teleported out *when* things went wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived