Green With Envy

Green With Envy

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Watch the video above before reading the comments below.

Click to reveal..

I love the muppets. I loved the original muppet show series, most of the movies, most of the viral videos with Beaker destroying things to music and Statler and Waldorf commenting. I bought the Muppet Show on DVD and tried to watch it with my 11 year old (at the time) son [he was 11 at the time, he's still my son]; he did not enjoy it. At all. With the exception of Alice Cooper and part of Elton John's show, he didn't know who the guests were, why they were famous, what was funny. He loved Muppets From Space, but the series asked for too much old people pop culture knowledge.

Can a new movie walk the line, getting the appeal of the series and combining it with wider attraction of the movies? I am looking forward to the new movie, not because of the trailers, or because Jason Segel wrote it, but because I like the muppets. But the life of the muppets, their marketability, hinges not on me, but my son and younger viewers liking the movie. I have to like it too, and that puts it in a difficult position. Pixar does it well. Appeal to a general audience without talking down to any of them. Lucas didn't necessarily do it so well; he brought in the kids but we older viewers, who grew up on the first trilogy, were not necessarily happy with the new stuff.

I love Segel's writing, I have faith that he is capable of giving us something we will enjoy while still drawing in a new audience.

TBH, the demographic of a 'new' audience of Muppets watchers is just watching the puppets and waiting for slapstick comedy as it is...they aren't really following the dialogue in anything but a general sense.

Archived