Not Quite Ready for Rainbows

RPG Post

outsider_0422_1.jpgNot Quite Ready for Rainbows

D&D is a game of heroes. Mostly. This article discusses several classes that steal souls, shadows, blood and command undead minions as well as flat-out paid killers and how they fit into a world of light and goodness. Having run a few campaigns with evil characters and even neutral characters, it is a huge challenge to keep together an adventuring group that comprises self-interested characters or those serving the interest of a patron of destruction/trickery/evil/reality tv. Anyone run a campaign of villains who staid together without backstabbing each other? One-shots work well, but a campaign?

Well, I ran a game for a few sessions in a system that was called 'Violence' when it came out (whenever that was). It was a small little game, I don't recall the system at all, I still have it somewhere. I ran it in the wonderful neighborhood of Murder City.

In hindsight, Prison Break more or less stole my idea...I should sue wink. I kept the bastards together by cuing the police sirens whenever then would start arguing or considering breaking up and they would be on the move again and be forced to stay together.

My brother was in a campaign like this... and the basic answer was that the PCs *couldn't* trust each other beyond a very narrow sense and that they *did* back stab each other on occasion.

It's similar to a Paranoia campaign in this sense (it's typical in Paranoia for every PC to have a secret mission which involves backstabbing another PC... sometimes literally).

Archived