The Crow

RPG Post

The Crow

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I began a blog entry with a rant on Fright Night, or more specifically the remake, but after rabid spit spraying for two pages I reined myself in and deleted the entry. The remake seems to miss the point of the first one, entirely, but hey, it might be entertaining. I don't like remakes because, while they do not detract from the originals, they often overshadow the original material. Whether the remake is good or bad, people do not seek out the original material, and in newer generations the original works are lost. Remakes can be good, even great. Perhaps less frequently than an original movie is good, because there are expectations and nuances that a director of any skill whatsoever tries to capture in a remake, some fidelity to what has come before. But mostly they are bad.

So The Crow. It is being remade, and Bradley Cooper is in talks to star. As a scary, dead avenger, making those who raped his wife and killed them both, pay. Bradley Cooper. Charismatic, handsome, kind of shallow in every role so far, Bradley Cooper. His role in The Midnight Meat Train was not convincing; his fight with Vinnie Jones ... Vinnie should have won. I get it, he's hot right now. But what part of The Crow seems to call for a light, shallow touch, a smirking humor without a pained heart behind it? The movie is about vengeance, pain and loss. Maybe my generation read more pain into the original because Brandon died during the production. Not that I'm suggesting killing Cooper would give him more gravitas. I'm sure only Herzog would give serious thought to killing the lead actor to make his role better but I leave it as a possible solution.

Also the original has the lines "Caw, Caw, Bang. I'm dead." And freaky Bai Ling.

Does anyone else see a casting problem here? Similar to Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist named Christmas Jones?

Y'know, there used to be this unspoken, but respected rule in Hollywood. You do not do a remake of anything until you hit the 20 year mark (unless it's really shitty...like Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, and...of Course...Ang Lee's Hulk).

If they had waited 20 years, that would have been cool.

I myself am going to skip this film. Lee (as the Crow) and Michael Wincott (as Top Dollar)and Bai Ling MADE that movie into a classic.

I just hate to see it become a victim of "Hollywood Recycling".

Archived