[OpNet] Entertainment

Singularity

Today would have been Bruce Lee's 74th birthday and it made me reminise about earlier times. I am no movie buff, but like most Americans from the latch key generation, I enjoy watching them.

Spielberg's Nova was an amazing piece of work for its time and Bollywood definitely produces some excellent work, but we hear about those movies all the time. I was hoping if any of you remember some favorite or influenial pre N-Day movies. Obviously, the small town American in me loves action and kung fu movies, but my tastes have expanded over the years into other genres. Most of Orsen Wells' work has been most impressive, at least in a historical context. Francis Ford Coppola and (again) Steven Spielberg are in the same category as well.

Would anyone like to share some favorites?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedro Amaldovar's 'All About My Mother', starring Cecilia Roth and Penelope Cruz, and Krzysztof Kieslowski's 'Three Colours Trilogy' were good if you like foreign films. As for Australian flicks, I recommend Mark Lamprell's 'My Mother Frank' with Sinead Cusack and Sam Neill.

My favourite B-Grade horror-thriller of all time would have to be 'Resurrection Day' starring Christopher Lambert. I have to admit that my favourite action movies include 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', the 'Matrix Trilogy' (hey, for a bunch of baselines, they pulled off some neat effects), anything with Vin Diesel or Chuck Norris in it and the 'Aliens' series with Sigourney Weaver.

I know some of these are post-N! Day, but they were all made by talented baselines. Prodigy has a point when he's saying that nova accomplishments are destroying baseline achievements... Sometimes quantum gets in the way of the achievement.

quintessential show and movie from the 80's, at least for me since I was a kid then, was Transformers: The Movie. Awesome animation, two great villains Galvatron and Unicron (voiced by Leonard Nemoy and Orson Wells respectively) Prime was my hero and that movie showed that even heroes could die, but as long as we held up their beliefs they lived on. Who can forget The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Peter Jackson? You're right Endeavor, Miyazaki was one of the best of his time, Princess Mononoke was damn impressive.

My favourites include...

2001, 2010, Pi, Gatacca(?), Bladerunner, Robocop, Akira, Predator, Casablanca, Alien, Aliens etc. Indiana Jones, Born Free, Life of Brian + Holy Grail (virtually mind virii once they get in your brain), Fern Gully (don't laugh). I was pretty obsessed with science and nature documentaries on TV too.

Sometimes I wonder why I erupted as a wandering space hippy.

The Matrix Trilogy

Hated it. I was only three when the first one came out, though, so it was a bit before my time. Mediocre story and the CGI was god-awful.

Nova

Liked it as a kid, kind of think it's trite nowadays.

Crouching Tiger

Not big on martial arts movies, but I cried my eyes out when Li Mu Bai died. The look on Yu Shu Lien's face when she held him after he'd gone was so painful, so heartwrenching.

Krzysztof Kieslowski's 'Three Colours Trilogy'

You mean you actually CHOSE to watch that? One of my profs made us watch my first semester at university and it was horrible! Ugh. I liked "Blue" well enough, but "White"'s ending was...god, I can't believe I watched the whole movie to have it end like that. "Red" didn't hold my attention.

Ever see Princess Mononoke? Spirited Away? Even the best Nova animator couldn't match him right now. You'd swear Miyazaki was a Nova himself...

You are such a fangirl. wink I know it's your opinion, and all, but you obviously have lost your mind to make a claim like that. Have you been following animation since N-Day? I always found things like Monoko Hime to have only average animation but a sharp story.

Now, if you'd said something about Miyazaki's stories, they're pretty spiff, I'll give you that. I've seen some anime I liked better than Studio Ghibli's work.

Kurosawa

I'm so ashamed! I haven't seen any of them! shocked

Bruce Lee

You know, I think I'm prejudiced against martial arts films because all the fucktards in my elementary school had to ask if I knew kung fu, or expected me to know it.

Monty Python

Am I the only one who doesn't get it? Seriously, I'm embarrassed to be in a room with people who love Monty Python because it's not funny at all to me.

2001 , 2010...

I did like 2010! I'm like one of a handful, I think, and I know people give it a lot of crap because A. Clark didn't actually write anything but the novelization of it, but I thought it was lots of fun.

Gattaca is surprisingly relevant in todays world. Selective genetics used to create perfect children? Spooky stuff when you think about it.

I haven't seen most of the other stuff on your list, Walker.

LotR Trilogy

Eowyn was my hero for the longest time after seeing the final film. I was always pissed off that that tart Arwyn landed Aragorn though.

Wells, Coppola, and Spielberg

I suppose in a historical sense, you're right. But nothing really touches me here. Might be a generational thing. We were told when watching Casablanca that it was a classic but I feel asleep in it. Same with Citizen Kane. But then again, I think The Three Stooges aren't remotely entertaining either.

I remember seeing Star Trek IV in the theaters with my dad, That's the first meomory I have of movies. I was always of fan of the big epic movies, Gladiator, Troy, even Ben-Hur and Spartacus. you gotta admit for the time they were made in they were quite impressive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Juri 'Salamander' McClendon:
I suppose in a historical sense, you're right. But nothing really touches me here. Might be a generational thing. We were told when watching Casablanca that it was a classic but I feel asleep in it. Same with Citizen Kane. But then again, I think The Three Stooges aren't remotely entertaining either.
The key to Citizen Kane is that it was the first movie that really made use of angles and blocking to establish relationships between characters. Things like over the shoulder shots paired with very low, looking up shots to establish a power relationship and two characters speaking to each other across the expanse of a massive room to establish the gulf between them.

I had always thought reading into movies like that was total crap, but I suppose I have gained a more refined appreciation of the world.

Prodigy: I don't consider anything before N-Day baseline cinema, because there was only baselines before then. Anything after though, the label fits.

Juri: Are you talking about that new-wave anime crap that novas are spewing these days? Look, when Miyazaki was at his PRIME, he put out stuff way better than the tripe being dumped on us now. Why? You could see the spirit put into the work. The Imagination and Inspiration. There are only a handfull of Nova animators out there, and only one or two actually have real talent. And they work in full CGI. Ever see the movie, Genesis? It's a dramatization of the first 2 hours of creation after the big bang. You'd swear you were god watching it yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
Prodigy: I don't consider anything before N-Day baseline cinema, because there was only baselines before then. Anything after though, the label fits.
Correct, movies by baselines, about baseline ideas, through baseline eyes and using baseline technology. What else would you call it?

I guess it's all down to personal opinion on this... I like The older movies, you can find depth in many of them, the stuff now a days that I've seen is all fancy effects. I'm all for the big action epic where everything bulges first then explodes, but knowing that someone was doing it without any special powers or abilities seems to make it more special to me.

Kinda off topic but only a little I have to wonder if I could do a play or theater with my illusion power. I seem to have a good handle on it when the spooks aren't borrowing it. I should give it a shot sometime.

As for movies I was a big Fan of "ID4-2" just for the fun of how they wrote Novas into it despite their being none in the first film.

I also enjoyed "Myth" The whole angle of using Novas to help tell stories from old greek/roman mythos was a lot of fun.

"The Rending" I was finally able to see it even after I was kicked out the first time, It was fun. With my AMC offer I am sure to catch a lot more films now. The trailer I saw the other day for "Foundation" makes me want to see it next summer though I don't know much about it other than it is some Nova/Sci-Fi epic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:

Juri: Are you talking about that new-wave anime crap that novas are spewing these days? Look, when Miyazaki was at his PRIME, he put out stuff way better than the tripe being dumped on us now. Why? You could see the spirit put into the work. The Imagination and Inspiration. There are only a handfull of Nova animators out there, and only one or two actually have real talent. And they work in full CGI. Ever see the movie, Genesis? It's a dramatization of the first 2 hours of creation after the big bang. You'd swear you were god watching it yourself.

Hino-san, if that's your opinion, there's nothing I'm going to be able to do to change it. But regards to spirit in current day animation, you're wrong.

And you sound exactly like any other geek who insists their favorite period of animation or comic books had more "spirit" than the current day. You know, just like a grumpy old man.

Music meant something back then. Art meant something back then. Movies meant something back then. Animation had "spirit" back then. And whatever today's production is, it doesn't have whatever what you liked in your youth.

Quote:
Originally posted by Long:
Hmm I wonder if I can still aquire some old film reels of the classics.. Heh Open a movie theater with all Classic movies.. I wonder if there's a market for it..
sounds a bit like my plan to open a Nove themed drive-in, which I'm currently in the workings of getting started.

Juri If you thought that gattaca was strangely relevant to today's situation then I would recommend Bladerunner, Pi and especially Akira.

Thing about Monty Python stuff is that was written by the British pretty much to appeal to a British sense of humour, even so its one of those wierd things that you either find hilarious or utterly banal, plenty of people just don't get it. Three Stooges is weird like that as well.

Bladerunner ... not many novas like to think that they may just be a flash in the pan, burning twice as bright but for a far shorter time.

Cannibalism?

In the British Navy?

Who can that not have universal appeal?

And I'm still waiting for that damn parrot to wake up, as well as for something completely different.

There are some movies that were exceptional at their time, and others that will always be great. My all-time favorite is Casablanca. Even though it had no special effects, it means more to me than anything that's come out since I was born, whether done by baseline or nova.

One of Walker's suggestions that I really enjoyed was Akira. Get a couple of "tainted" novas with the power to smash cities and this could be the result. I also have a fondness for an old cartoon series called "The Tick." If novas keep sprouting up like weeds and the good names are all taken, we may one day meet "American Maid" or "Sewer Urchin." (Or London Fog for that matter.)

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:

The Godfather and Behind The Green Door.
I've always had a little crush on Marilyn Chambers because of that movie.

Hmmm...some of my favorite oldies: Trainspotting. Stanley Kubricks The Shining, for that matter, might as well throw in a Clockwork Orange too. Naked Lunch. Brazil. the Excorcist.

That's all that come to mind at the moment.

Akira sucked. I'm sorry, but it did. It sucked hardcore. But that's what happens when you try forcing a literary work the length of the printed Akira into a single movie.

Anime movies based on longer works almost always suck. X sucked. You need to watch the longer series instead of the movie. Ghost in the Shell sucked. You need to read the manga, same problem Akira had. There are few exceptions to this rule.

As someone who has all the Akira Manga and the Ghost in the Shell manga as well I'll admit the movies were nothing compared to their Manga but that can be said about most movies adapted from Books. Everyone remember Jurassic Park and The Lost World... they had next to nothing in common yet they both grossed very well in the theaters because people still enjoyed them. I still sat in the theater god knows how many times I saw Jurassic Park as a kid because it made the animals seem real...

Damn, Juri. Kinda hardcore in those opinions, eh?

I think I appreciated Akira much more because I saw the movie first, then read it. It gave me a better understanding of what the author was aiming for.

Walker, I don't know what happened there. Really.

What I do know is that the terrorist/uncontrolled tech cover story was just that ... a cover.

The most likely explaination is that whoever really knew what was going on got vaporized. Anyone who had any idea (meaning one or two people, cause anygroup larger blabs) of what happened has kept their mouth shut so far and Good for them!

Talking about troubling re-makes ... Dune.

I must check out some of these manga comics then it seems. Akira I like because I'd never seen anything like it before. Sometimes the book is so much better than the film, an example that springs to mind is, Interview with the Vampire, which I liked until reading the book. Maybe I shouldn't check out manga comics in that case then...

Joker I have two things to say:-

That's good because the other thought that came to mind involved gamma ray bursts caused by Alien Novas.

The second thing I have to say is. Nobody expects Walker-Between-Worlds my two main weapons are... and that is my FINAL word on the matter.

Stigmata Have you seen, The Acid House? If not I strongly recommend it, being an adaption of an Irvine Welsh novel like Trainspotting. Naked Lunch, Trainspotting and Clockwork Orange are favourites of mine too plus Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I'm waiting for a film version of the exploits of Dr. Duke Rollo myself confused

Stop by one day Walker and I'll loan you some... I've got manga from most genres, though I have alot of Giant Robot... Gunparade March, Getter Robo, Every Gundam series (Yes even the 2 lost ones) and all The Macross stuff... That's just a taste, I'm sure you could find something in the collection...

The ionization trail would have been detectable, even if they were able to move the platform. Same goes for the 'single-shot' gamma lasers. It would have led back to a very nasty bit of space.

Same goes for a self-detonating nova. It would have left a distinctive ... stain.

Its a mystery I keep coming back to.

Long, got any Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? It sort of got released under the radar when a bunch of Nova-Inspired anime came out.

GitS is probably the only series I actually like of anime. That and Full Metal Alchemist. Now... I'm not saying I'm some sort of stark-raving anime fan here... I just like those two. Very... original.

Well... I just flew my geek flag... Where's the glasses with the tape across the bridge emote?

Yes, I have both complete series DigiGiest. FMA was very good both as a TV series and a Manga, same for GitS, though I prefer the show more on that one. Nothing wrong with liking anime, it was all we had in Japan when I was a kid. Though now as an adult, I look back and pause because the shows I watched were so graphic and yet they were targeted for kids. Dragonball, DBZ and GT, ultra violent swearing fighting killing heroes, and enough perverted moments that the US release cut 15-20 episodes from each series, yet in Japan it was a kids show.

Jager I was meaning that Alien tainted up Novas might be responsible for GRB as detected in space, you never know right? It would make a great sci-fi story. Cestus Pax and the rest of T2M must stop the evil power crazed villian before he destroys half the galaxy like what happend to previous civilisations...

If you figure your/THE mystery out I would be pleased to hear an explantion.

I'm a big fan of 'Crimson Tide' and 'The Hunt for Red October'. but those are for pretty obvious reasons.

In my youth I was a Sci-fi nut but, I'd watch anything I could get my hands on!

The original 'Star Wars Trilogy'

The 'Star Trek' Franchise (Undiscovered Country!)

'Braveheart'

The first 'Superman'

'Batman'

The conspiracy nut in me thinks that the LotR trilogy probably had some Nova assistance in production.

Archived