[Supernatural] Shadow Over the Orpheum

Dawn OOC

IC Introduction

Being a Hunter sucks. It’s life on the road, no life-expectancy or salary. You eat cheap food out of roadside diners and sleep in bad beds in terrible motels. It’s dangerous and unpleasant, save for those few moments after you finally kill the big bad – this time. Next time, it might get you and it will be the one high on the pleasant act of survival.

This is not that story.

Being you might suck, or it might not. You’re a normal guy or girl, as far as the world knows – nothing special in the grand scheme of things. You might be a student, or have a job; be young or old. But whatever, you have one thing in common with the other PCs: you have agreed to attend a Victorian Era, Call of Cthulhu live-action role-playing game. Your troupe, the Midnight Players, has rented an old theatre called the Orpheum. It is rumored to be haunted, of course. Regardless, it seems like the perfect place to hold your Halloween game.

Maybe you’re part of the Midnight Players and you do this every month. Or perhaps you’ve been bribed to go by a significant other or your childhood buddy. Regardless, you’re going.

OOC Introduction

You do not need to have a knowledge of the Supernatural universe. If you do have one, I’m asking you to ignore it for the game. I don’t want Hunters, wannabe Hunters or even dabblers.

This is a one-shot story. I have a single plot and a new RPG system burning a hole in my desktop. So I want to test the Supernatural system, which uses the Cortex system. You use starting points to buy dice for each Attribute and then for those Skills and Traits you want. So if you have a D6 in Str and a D4 in Melee Weapons, you roll one d6 and one d4 and add them together. You then compare them to the Threshold number; if you have more than the number, you have succeeded.

To get a basic idea of how it works, download a “Quick start” guide for free from RPG-Drivethru: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64277. This also has a few pre-made PCs (including Sam and Dean Winchester, the main characters of the show) for you to examine.

Starting Level: Rookie

42 Attribute points

62 Skill points

0 Trait points (this doesn’t mean you can’t have any, only that your net gain between Assets and Complications must be 0)

I know that character creation will likely be complicated by a lack of book. I’ll do what I can to help you guys build your PCs without a book.

I expect that this game will take a few months to resolve and I don’t have a long term metaplot in mind. I’m looking for average Joes; this game will be a lot less interesting if everyone is a fighter type or specialized in stuff to kick ass. You cannot be a Hunter or even be aware of Hunters and the ‘real’ occult.

Restrictions:

You cannot make a Hunter.

You can buy ranks in Occult, but it will be ‘normal’ knowledge – what would be considered RL knowledge. You’ll have a chance to learn more specialized stuff in-play.

What I need:

If you’re interested, say so below, along with your concept(s). I need at least two players, minimum, to run this puppy.

Questions? Comments?

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Jim, remember, this is a fairly small time commitment.

Damon, of course I'd allow the lug, though I'm curious about what on earth could get him to go to a Victorian Era LARP game. :P

One word...Granola. wink

Originally Posted By: Damon OOC
Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Jim, remember, this is a fairly small time commitment.

Damon, of course I'd allow the lug, though I'm curious about what on earth could get him to go to a Victorian Era LARP game. :P

One word...Granola. wink

HAHAHAA! Ok, then. laugh

Dave, awesome. Looking forward to what ideas you come up with. smile

AFAIK Supernatural makes use of the CORTEX-Rule-System which is the same they used for the BSG-Game I ran a few years ago.

It is a nice system and combat is really fast and deadly.

Oh - this is not me showing interest for the game, it's not my cup of tea, but I'll watch it because I want to see the system in action since BSG is still ghosting in my mind...

Originally Posted By: Joani
Oh - this is not me showing interest for the game, it's not my cup of tea, but I'll watch it because I want to see the system in action since BSG is still ghosting in my mind...

Voyeurs also welcome. wink

Here ya go Dawn, I made... myself.

I also posted what I came up with below, in case other people who don't know the system had questions.

And yes, if this lil shindig kicks off, I'll probably just play myself, since the thought of someone dragging me to a LARP and actually convincing me to participate amuses me greatly. For grins n' giggles I included why I took what skills and at what levels.

Dave K.

D.O.B.: 02/09/1977

Hair: Black

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 180lbs

Agility: d8; Strength: d6; Vitality: d8; Alertness: d6; Intelligence: d6; Willpower: d8

Init: d8 + d6

Life Points: 16

Stun – OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO O

Wound – OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO O

Traits:

Allergy (Dust) d2

Smart Ass d4

Allure d2

Cool Under Fire d2

Fast on Your Feet d2

Skills:

Artistry d4 (I like to draw, and obviously write as hobbies)

Athletics d6 (I like running and I'm a skilled gymnast (betcha didn't know that, huh!))

Covert d4 (I'm sneaky, and I've also picked a few locks in my day. Don't ask why.)

Discipline d4 (A majority of my professional life has been spent dealing with idiots.)

Drive d4 (Gratiot street racing at 3:00am, ain't nothing like it!)

Influence d4 (Knowing the right words has gotten my hide out of more trouble than I can count.)

Knowledge d4 (I'm a smart guy, sometimes I wish I wasn't.)

Lore d4 (If I don't know, I look it up, this leaves me wit hall kinds of odds n end knowledge in my noodle.)

Melee Weapon d4 (As part of my martial arts classes I was required to train with the staff. I'm quite good.)

Perception d4 (I tend to notice things others overlook.)

Ranged Weapons d4 (Knife throwing is a hobby, and I'm quite good with a bow.)

Survival d6 (I'm quite capable of living off the land, I'm rather proud of that.)

Tech d6 (I'm a geek, I love to fiddle with tech.)

Unarmed Combat d6 (I hold the equivelant of a purplr belt in three different martial arts: Karate, Muay Thai and Kenpo.)

Gear: house keys, wallet, cell phone

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
And yes, if this lil shindig kicks off, I'll probably just play myself, since the thought of someone dragging me to a LARP and actually convincing me to participate amuses me greatly.

Ironically I had mentioned to Dawn last night that I was considering playing a reluctant attendee as well.

Archived