The Wolverine

RPG Post

Darren Aronofsky not directing The Wolverine

Darren Aronofsky is no longer directing The Wolverine. He felt like an odd fit to begin with, a director that did intensely personal, frequently painful films, like The Wrestler, The Black Swan, Pi and Requiem For A Dream. While his stated reasons for leaving, family, sounds reasonable, the film is totally outside of his experience. No matter who is brought in now, we will always hear of what the film could have been had Aronoksky directed.

From the press release from Fox:

Darren Aronofsky and Twentieth Century Fox today issued the following statements about the director’s involvement in the movie, “The Wolverine”:

Stated Aronofsky: “As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of ‘The Wolverine’ would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won’t be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.”

Stated Twentieth Century Fox: “While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do ‘The Wolverine’, we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both ‘The Wrestler’ and ‘Black Swan’ with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making ‘The Wolverine’. We will regroup and move forward aggressively.”

This article argues Aronofsky and David Slade (not Spade) should switch films and Aronoksky direct daredevil.

The Wolverine game on the XBOX 360 shows what happens when a quick healing, nearly indestructible killer with metal claws is set loose on enemies: blood. Lots of blood. That's what I am hoping for in the next movie.

I hate to see that Darren Aronofsky is leaving The Wolverine. Any excitement that I had for the project is now gone. The last movie sucked way too much for me to care without some great talent behind it.

While past films may not portray Wolverine as someone typical for a Aronofsky film, I think Frank Miller's Wolverine mini series is right up his alley.

Archived