Sci-Fi World Building OOC

The Story Guide

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction: Everyone has posted Empire rolls for Round 4.

I've only gotten definite Galaxy/Secondary Empire actions from Stargaizer and myself so far. Envoy and Asa, building your home system/homeworld for your main empire doesn't need to take up a galatic turn.

Let me know if you guys want to take galatic/secondary empire turns this round, and then I'll do up the Entropy rolls. Thanks and sorry for being unclear before!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys - As a note, with empire and secondary empire rolls, you are allowed reaction posts to the Entropy roll of the previous round along with your normal full action for the current round. Please keep reactions as only modifications of what the Entropy roll did, not a complete negation or something that would constitute a full round action.

Still here. My work is still super busy due to the storms that went through from Birmingham, AL through Knoxville, TN (the entirety of the territory that we service). So I've been slammed at work and got a pregnant wife at home... posting's a bit slow for me.

Hope to catch up soon though.

I'll go ahead and ask this here, since I'll be needing it for the racial template later. This power is based in the WW ST system, what would be a good conversion, if any (more thematically than numerically).

Quote:
Ancestral Memory (Mental) [PN]

One of the rare Powers that always comes at the time of birth,

Ancestral Memory will probably make the mutant's teachers think that

he or she is a developmental genius. This is true, in a way. The

mutant is born with the memories of all of his ancestors up to the

time of his birth. This Power is always hereditary. If the mutant is

the first to have this Power, then he remembers everything from his

father's life up to the time that the mutant himself was born, and

everything from the lives of the prior generations. This memory

always passes along sex lines (father to son, mother to daughter). If

the mutant is the third (or fourth, or what have you), then he only

has the memories of his progenitors to the point in their lives when

the next same-sex descendant in line was born. (So, the mutant would

have his granddad's memories up to the point when his dad was born, not

when his dad's older brother was born. He gets memories from his

dad up until the point that he was born. If his granddad was the first

to have the power, then he has all the memories of his great-granddad,

and so on back through the ages). No roll is required to

use this Power (except maybe an Intelligence check of some kind to

remember a particular detail).

¥¥ The mutant gets 15/15/15 for Abilities instead of 13/9/5. Favour

should be given to some archaic skills like tracking, history, etc.

My race is going to have a cast of telepaths that can store the greatest minds of the species in a sort of telepathic web.

I remember that in Dune, Bene Gesserit Revered Mothers would get the lives of all of the Revered Mothers before in the line of Revered Mothers from the other woman doing the ceremony with her (who would then die, as they had passed themselves along to the new Revered Mother, or at least that's what happened to Jessica). That took a ritual with special training and a special drink, but worked pretty much the same way.

I would say that with the way you've built the crystals in with the species, that possession of a crystal grants memories and thus mechanical stuffs to be all ironed out later. I'd also say that having multiple crystals is sort of like lugging around a constant family reunion - useful at times, but you've always got someone yapping in your brain about how they would have done it.

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
I'll go ahead and ask this here, since I'll be needing it for the racial template later. This power is based in the WW ST system, what would be a good conversion, if any (more thematically than numerically).

Click to reveal.. (Ancestral Memory (Mental))
[PN]
One of the rare Powers that always comes at the time of birth,
Ancestral Memory will probably make the mutant's teachers think that
he or she is a developmental genius. This is true, in a way. The
mutant is born with the memories of all of his ancestors up to the
time of his birth. This Power is always hereditary. If the mutant is
the first to have this Power, then he remembers everything from his
father's life up to the time that the mutant himself was born, and
everything from the lives of the prior generations. This memory
always passes along sex lines (father to son, mother to daughter). If
the mutant is the third (or fourth, or what have you), then he only
has the memories of his progenitors to the point in their lives when
the next same-sex descendant in line was born. (So, the mutant would
have his granddad's memories up to the point when his dad was born, not
when his dad's older brother was born. He gets memories from his
dad up until the point that he was born. If his granddad was the first
to have the power, then he has all the memories of his great-granddad,
and so on back through the ages). No roll is required to
use this Power (except maybe an Intelligence check of some kind to
remember a particular detail).
¥¥ The mutant gets 15/15/15 for Abilities instead of 13/9/5. Favour
should be given to some archaic skills like tracking, history, etc.

Speaking from outside the game, I would just use it as background explanation for a high intelligence or a few skill masteries, perhaps some Contacts or Well Informed. Since it would have no real impact on the character sheet otherwise. I would probably take the advantage Eidetic Memory too.

The way that I built the Gra'nat was that their telepathic abilities allowed them to share memories, thus a teacher wouldn't 'teach' so much as they would literally 'share' their learnings with you. That's what I used as a foundation for the speed of their development as well as them breaking into their castes.

It would be very similar to the Bene Gesserit Revered Mothers, in that it would involve a ritual more than it would be something that they're born with.

But, with that being said, they've split into castes, meaning that each caste excels in its' area but has little to no training in any other. So maybe it would be best explained in OOC terms and building a character (almost like having '(cross)class skills' from d20 games).

By the end of the next epoch, I intend for almost all the Gra'nat to be living in pink crystals with basically robotic bodies... I guess that would just be some sort of 'power suit' device (and all the perks/pitfalls that come with that)?

I had actually thought about that, and I came up with two options.

1) Some of the species are kept in bodily form to propagate, and only the elite/near death/explorers get put into crystals.

2) Everybody goes into a crystal leaving none bodily behind (or after a cataclysm takes out all those left behind from option 1). They develop and preform a ritual similar to the sharing of memories where a small part of the essence of their consciousness enters another crystal. If only one does this then it's basically a clone, if two, then a unique individual with parts of both, if more than two, then a very unique individual with parts of all of them. Basically mind meld/(a)(multi)sexual reproduction/dragoon production procedure/ritual, with the results dumped into its' very own pink crystal.

Convoluted enough?

Originally Posted By: Malachite Drake
Most Lights are benign, even somewhat naive, though, so this has not been an issue yet.

Does this foreshadow them becoming a less benign race?

Interesting question, what would happen if one of 'the Lights' tried to bond with a Gra'nat in a crystal? Would they be able to? Would they 'overwrite' the Gra'nat? If these two species meet would they become mortal enemies, closest allies, or nothing special?

Originally Posted By: Malachite Drake
SG - That sounds rather neat. smile How do they reproduce after they're all in crystals, though? Or are some left in the flesh to keep the species alive?

Also, I'm at least somewhat back. How about giving everyone until July 3rd for Age Quintus posts and then move on?

Do you perhaps mean June 3rd?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the Gra'nat both into space as well as into their suits.

So, for their templates, I know that they're going to have suits. Template for suits has to include life support & immunity to aging. That's an 11 point suit right there.

So, would it be a complication or something else that without their suit they're basically just a pretty pink mildly psychic rock?

Let's see, Communication (mental) w/ selective area, 6pp/rank, mind reading 2pp/rank, mind blast/mind control 4pp/rank, move object (subtle) 3pp/rank +2 (perception & precise). I think I'll just set a PP total for an array and leave the specifics up to the player. Like say, 11pp suit & 13pp telepathic array (choose 12pp worth of

). Maybe a dynamic array or the variable power... don't know. Will have to work on that.

This is Aeon Sextus, and the establishment of the empires as space-faring empires. Go conquer/colonize a nearby star, learn about the star nodes in your own system, encounter new species to interact with/integrate into your empire, and bump into other PC's empires if you want.

Sorry things are going slow. Hopefully after this weekend (baby shower for my sister in law and a switch in meds again frown ) I'll be more up and active.

Archived