Sci-Fi World Building OOC

The Story Guide

Alright, following in the steps of Struggles of Iannin, we're going to try a similar model of game creation on a sci-fi galactic model.

So, to begin! I'm going to put up a couple of maps of a galaxy and a list of starting star systems that players can choose from to put their initial race. Starting out, everyone will have two turns a round: a Galaxy turn in which the player can add or change something about the galaxy (or a part of it, such as a solar system), and an Empire round in which the player can add or change something about their empire (have the empire explore new solar systems, add a sub-race to the empire, research new technology, give the empire a cultural focus, and so on).

I will make Entropy rolls after that just like the Chaos rolls in SOI. For the first three rounds the initial races are not space-bound. This is a time to get a feel for your races, set up Homeworlds, and settle into the game-making process. Hopefully we'll have the major kinks worked out by the end of the first three rounds and really get into detailing the galaxy and the history of the empires.

A couple of notes:

1) Entropy rolls do have a small chance of wiping out an empire. It's small, but such things can happen. Just a warning.

2) After the first three rounds, players may use their Galaxy turns to create secondary empires instead of changing galactic or solar system features.

These are my thoughts so far, though I am more than open to other suggestions, concerns, and ideas. I hope to start the first round next Sunday (March 20th). Have at!

Oh, also I couldn't come up with a cool name, so I need suggestions on that as well. smile

This is currently a closed game thread.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my first race, I was thinking of a psionic race. Their consciousness would be stored in a specially cut psi-crystal, and their bodies are completely mechanical. They would be very intellectual, having found the relationship between electricity, magnetism, gravity and psi, fairly peaceful, and genuinely curious.

Would this be acceptable for a starting race, or would it need to be toned back?

SG - That sounds really neat, in my opinion! Remember that the first three turns are dedicated to getting your race from start to space-faring, so just flesh out how they came to be and how they learned to do what you want them to be able to do. They kinda remind me of a crystalline race from an SG-1 episode....neat idea!

Oh, I got one. I was thinking insectoids in a symbiotic relationship with a sentient fungi that go from low-fungus mass, high health, lower intelligence to high-fungus mass, low health, higher intelligence over their lifespan before the insectoid keels over and the fungus spores. Not psychic or cross species body-snatcheresque (before any entropy rolls, that is. ;)), but very much 'me and my geneline' focused perhaps.

I'm going with semi-amphibious (mostly aquatic) cephelopods who utilize other living things as 'tools' to achieve goals. Initially via domestication...later on they become very adept in biological engineering and use highly specialized symbiotic tissues and organisms in ways analogous to our own use of electronics and other forms of technology.

After some thought I think I'm going to change the first few rounds. We'll have three rounds of Galaxy turns, and then start Galaxy/Empire turns after that. In these first three Galaxy rounds we'll be literally shaping the galaxy and putting in any huge effects we want. Feel free to really play around here and make something interesting to set up all the inventive species you guys are coming up with!

Everyone that's playing has reported in at this point, so I'll kick off the first Galaxy round. Rounds will last a maximum of one week; if someone hasn't posted and has not made prior arrangements, we're going to move on. Once everyone has gone, I'll make Entropy rolls and post up; as in Iannin, players may make reactions to Entropy effects along with their normal turns each round. Any questions so far?

Yeah...I've got nothing.

I mean. I like the whole idea of building a science fiction species and so on, but...the whole, "AND THENCE CAME THE WATERS FROM THE FIRMAMENT, DOUSING THE STELLAR FIRE AND LEAVING A SUBTLE MINTY AFTERTASTE," thing is not really for me.

I'm pretty much content to leave this part alone.

Also - You guys keep referencing a map, but I don't know where the map is.

Alright. We'll skip you until you say you want to start back in, then. The map is not yet put up, but in the spoiler of my first post I told people to think of the galactic space as roughly cut into nine blocks. I'll be posting up the map here in a few minutes, so that should help.

On to the second round!

I'm mostly interested in the development of an alien species.

In my head, this is kind of like a Master of Orion type deal, where we control a fledgeling species in its bid for galactic significance.

What y'all are doing now is just prepping the galaxy map. I let the computer take care of that. wink

Originally Posted By: Courier
I think it's 27 blocks. 3x3x3.

Yeeeeeaaaaah... I don't think we're worrying about the 3rd dimension so much. Plus that'd be a bitch to map unless someone has the skills and time for that.

EDIT: I have been corrected. It is 27 blocks.

Just to make sure everyone has seen/understood this, at this point in the galactic creation we have three methods of FTL travel available: Wormholes with an interior sub-space, a mineral that (I assume) will allow for FTL drives later on, and nodes with node-space travel.

I'm fine with it, I personally think it makes things interesting as early space travel will be able to be all over the galaxy, making empire creation interesting and unusual in comparison to other, less travel-friendly settings. I just wanted to point it out. :P

This is really fun so far and shaping up to be a really unique space setting!

Depending on the game, each species can have their own method of FTL travel. I like that we have 3, and with these three there could be separate sub verities.

If I read correctly, the wormhole method isn't entirely predictable, or did I get the wrong idea?

Yup. Later Galatic turns can be used to create new materials and what not to be discovered, or Empire turns can be used for empires to discover technology to make or harness a material.

SG - My understanding was that different colored entrances led to different areas of the wormhole subspace with preset exits near those subspace areas. Asa, care to elaborate for clarity?

That is correct - different coloured entrances determine where you enter sub-space, with preset exits near those areas (which don't necessarily mean the exits enter Regular space anywhere near each other). Depending on how well (and how current) mapped Sub-Space is, one could travel there too to reach other areas and also shave lots of time off a route... or not.

And now something else determined by color - reality altering crystals! (well, sorta)

Green gravity crystals could be used, if sized/cut properly, as yet another means of FTL travel (gravity warping of space/time - gravity drives) or just artificial gravity sources for spaceships. Blue electricity crystals could be used exactly like batteries, and purple magnetic crystals just like magnets, etc.

Guys, I've been getting progressively sicker over the past week. I'm finally at the point where I can't do much of anything except feel miserable. I'll get the two map batches and the entropy roll for this turn done once I feel up to it, but it may be a few days. Thanks for bearing with me.

Archived