[BESM] The Reluctant King

Galahad

Setting: Rokugan

CP: 250

If your concerned your idea might not be fitting, talk to me and we'll see what we can do.

Backstory:

Outside of the Clan lies a small but poweful Kingdom. It rests just outside the Kaui Wall, its capital sitting in the mountains at the junction in the rivers. It controls all trade to the South-West and Rokugan. It was prosperous, but it held a dark secret known only to those of the Kingdom, and they were unwilling to devulge it to outsiders.

Under the capital, deep within the mountains, an Oni of great power is imprisoned. The King of the country is the seal that holds the Oni in place. If the King were to die before he sires an heir then the Oni would be released. And then when the current king reaches the age of 23 he is sent into the depths to face the Oni and try and kill it. Obviously no king has been successful yet.

The one problem the country faces is that the last 40 or so Kings have sired heirs outside of the country where the Upper Echelons have no control over. The Upper Echelon of the country seems to be hiding something though, because on the 18th birthday they seem to know where the next King is.

And now they have discovered where he is. Roughly in the vicinity of Shizo sano no Kakita (Duelling School of the Crane Clan). They cannot decern an exact location but they are aware he weilds an odd sword made from blck stone. There are only 4 swords of this type in the world, so they are sure he will be found quickly.

The players have now been sent out to bring the next king back. Viewed as outsiders by the Clans they will need to becareful as they travel. The stigmas associated with where they live may cause some problems if it gets found out.

During the time when the King is not present the Upper Echelons run the country, and since they have done so for some time the King is barely more than a puppet. But for some reason they always send for him. Maybe it is prophecy, or maybe there is some other reason, but only those in the Upper Echelon know the whole truth.

This is most likely going to be a fairly dark game from what I can see. I'm open for most character ideas too.

Interested Parties: Post below your interest and we can discuss character ideas in PM or chat.

So basically if I get this right, the PCs are sent out by the upper echelons of 'Kingdom' to find and drag back the 'heir' near the dueling school of the crane clan in Rokugan that has the black stone sword.

So the PCs would need to travel amongst the clans, but are not of the clans?

Could PC's be former clan members that left for this 'Kingdom'? Or are the PCs basically playing clanless?

I would be willing to allow one character to be from the Clans, most likely hired to be a guide for the rest of the party so they don't make too many mistakes in Rokugan.

There would be stipulations of what the character knows and what the others are allowed to directly tell him. Most of the information above would not be known to him. If your interested in this, or if not you, someone else, then I would need to discuss with them what they would know and discuss with the others what they are not allowed to tell him.

Kingdom name to be decided.

Altered,

after careful reconsideration I've decided to use the next timeline after Hidden Emporer which is title Four Winds.

The short of this is that there are 4 people who could take the Imperial Throne after the assassination of the previous Emporer. Alliances constantly change and there is turmoil. This has more leads and could widen the story better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived