• 4 months later...

According to this there will be a Legend of Korra panel/discussion at Comic Con this year.

I also found out that back in March it was announced that the episode order had been expanded from 12 to 26 episodes. Not sure if this series is still planning to be a "one shot" but now at least we're looking at about 8 hours as opposed to about 4!

• 3 weeks later...

First series was great. Truly an example of the art form to hold up and say "this is how it should be done". It told stories with some real weight behind them without ever pandering, and managed a real epic finale that beats out many big budget action flicks.

Here's hoping this new series lives up to the standard.

I like the premise, or what we know of it.

Anti-bender sentiment...a unified Republic City...

Now this is a great setting for an RPG set in that world. The growing tide of resentment towards element-benders gives some reasons for PC's not to choose to be one. That, and access to higher-tech means that bending isn't quite as overwhelming an advantage as it was before.

The Anti-bender "Equalists" apparently use Chi-blocking/Atemi similar to (or identical to) that used by Ty Lee in the original series.

I'm not sure I would agree that bending was an "overwhelming advantage" though, as there were plenty of skill-based PCs in the original series who held their own against the benders. Mei, Ty Lee, Sokka, Jet, even Zuko proved that he was very very capable without his fire bending when in the guise of the Blue Spirit.

But in game terms, bending is a pretty significant advantage.

It's not as bad as magic, since it's more focused in its influence, but it's still pretty potent.

Anyway, it adds a sense of drama to the world, which is good for telling stories. smile

Yar.

A few interesting tidbits coming out of comic con this year:

• Republic City was founded by Aang and Zuko after the war.

• The series will feature the characters of two brothers one of whom is a Fire Bender, the other and Earth Bender.

• Tenzin, Aang and Katara's 3rd child (son), was the only Air bender of the 3.

Assuming bending is hereditary in any way...which we don't...

The fire and earth bender brothers could have had a fire bender and earth bender parent. Previous to Aang's peace, that would have been all but impossible of course.

Aang and Katara might have had other types of benders for other kids...only one is an airbender though. Equally possible is that the other two kids aren't any kind of bender at all. It's hard to say if Aang's status as avatar has any effect on his kids.

Though we can assume Tenzin must be really good at airbending if the current avatar is seeking him out.

Well since Aang is dead Tenzin may well be the "last airbender" and thus the only person for Korra to learn from. I really hope that they address this issue since technically the balance of he world can't be restored until the airbenders are of the the threatened species list.

Zuko & Azula's father was a bender but mother wasn't (to the best of our knowledge).

Katara & Sokka's mother and father were both non-benders and they had one uber bender and one non. (but their maternal grandfather was a bender)

Neither of Toph's parents were benders either.

Haru's father was a bender but not his mother.

Nowhere do we hear about two benders getting together, much less their children. It seems that it's more common for a bender and non-bender to get together.

Although, the most gifted water and earthbenders on the show were both from two non-benders.

In short, it's a crapshoot.

180px-Korraposter.jpgMore bits of tid:

• After the war, Toph travelled extensively to teach Metalbending. Metalbending is commonly used to subdue criminals by the United Republic police, who are led by Toph's daughter.

• The poster on the right shows two brothers, Mako (named in honor of actor Mako who voiced Iroh for Seasons 1 and 2 before his death) and Bolin. Mako is a Firebender while Bolin is an Earthbender.

• Korra has a female Polar Bear Dog named Naga. Other pets include Pabbo, a Fire Ferret belonging to Bolin.

• Some production information: The series will be divided into two "seasons", the first containing twelve episodes and the second containing fourteen. The music will be jazz-style Chinese music from the 1920's.

source

Bolin, one of Korra's friends, has a fire ferret pet named Pabbo.

Fire_Ferret.png

And here's some concept art of the new "Team Avatar"

508px-The_New_Team_Avatar.png

In Republic City a new sport Pro-Bending is played with teams of 3, each using a different bending style (Fire, Earth, and Water usually). Korra, Mako, and Bolin have a team that competes in an arena like this:

500px-Probending.jpg

Only if she actually uses multiple bending forms. If she stuck to just water or just air I'm sure it would be fine. Mako and Bolin are Fire and Earth benders respectively, so I would guess that Korra Waterbends for these matches.

I could be wrong though. I guess we'll find out next summer!

Aang's son Tenzin and his family. Tenzin will be voiced by J. Jonah Jameson ... err, I mean, J.K. Simmons.

Tenzin_Family.jpg

Toph's daughter Chief Bei Fong of the Republic City Police. The Police force use metalbending to apprehend and secure criminals.

Bei_Fong.jpg

The Equalist movement's leader's name has been changed to Amon (instead of Oman). He apparently always wears that mask.

OmanHD.png

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anybody watching this and liking it as much as I am. I have to say, I was seriously craving some new Avatar. Amon is a mystery, as the spirit bending, anti-bending leader.

That darn giant lion turtle, apparently he'll teach anybody to spirit bend.

Archived