Power Port

In the game system of your choice (specifically looking for Abby & M&M, but others would be interesting as well) how would you express this power? (From the file in my sig, the power is Altered Perception, this is the highest rank of it but limited to visual instead of all 5 senses).

¥¥¥¥¥ Cosmic Awareness (Visual)

-¥¥¥ True Sight- the mutant automatically sees through disguises, illusions, invisibility of all sorts, plastic surgery, or shapeshifting to see the 'true' shape of an object. The apparent shape is visible as a dim outline.

-¥¥¥ Penetrating Vision [AL]- as with Filtering Vision, except the mutant can see through any substance or combination of substances as an act of will, to normal visual range (each time the mutant encounters a visual barrier, he may elect to see through it).

-¥¥¥ Organless Senses- the mutant can see, through any exposed part of her body, with light concentration.

-¥¥ Telescopic Vision- not quite the same as Clairvoyance, since you need a clear line-of-sight, but it is powerful enough to see details as small as a footprint on the surface of the moon, for instance.

-¥¥ 360 Degree Vision- the mutant has got sense organs that give her vision in a full 360 degrees of arc, and the brain modifications necessary to process the data.

-¥ Infrared vision

-¥ Microwave vision (heat imaging)

-¥ Protected senses- like the Banshee, who can get sensory overload to your eardrums with no loss of sensitivity, one of your sensory organs is protected from extreme input. Someone with protected vision cannot be blinded by bright light or radiation, but can not see if there is no light, or if his eyes are poked out.

-¥ Low-light vision

-¥ X-Ray vision- you can see x-rays (not too useful unless you

take Energy Emission [X-Rays]).

-¥¥ Fast Refresh- your mutant's visual field is updated much more often than a normal human's, and your retinal memory does not interfere with this. While watching TV on an old set becomes impossible, you can see a lot of stuff that others don't (bullets in flight, hyper-speed characters) and get an extra die to dodge these things.

-¥¥ Filtering Vision [PL]- the mutant can 'refuse' to see one certain substance at a time- choosing to filter out water to see the ocean floor, for instance.

-Heavy Filters [PL]- the mutant, instead of seeing all substances but one, sees no substances but one.

-¥¥ Lightless Vision- the mutant does not require electromagnetic radiation of any kind in order to see.

-¥¥ Microscopic Vision- you can alter your vision to see items as small as viruses and the surfaces of atoms, at will.

Intuition? Not familiar with that one.

As to why, because I once created a character who only had visual powers (the ones listed above), and I was wondering if he could be created in another system (since no one plays Mutants in the WoD).

The M&M version:

¥¥¥¥¥ Cosmic Awareness (Visual)

-¥¥¥ True Sight- the mutant automatically sees through disguises, illusions, invisibility of all sorts, plastic surgery, or shapeshifting to see the 'true' shape of an object. The apparent shape is visible as a dim outline.

Senses: Counters Illusion

-¥¥¥ Penetrating Vision [AL]- as with Filtering Vision, except the mutant can see through any substance or combination of substances as an act of will, to normal visual range (each time the mutant encounters a visual barrier, he may elect to see through it).

Senses: Penetrates Concealment

-¥¥¥ Organless Senses- the mutant can see, through any exposed part of her body, with light concentration.

Remote sensing, limited to other parts of the body (1 rank would be all you need)

-¥¥ Telescopic Vision- not quite the same as Clairvoyance, since you need a clear line-of-sight, but it is powerful enough to see details as small as a footprint on the surface of the moon, for instance.

The Extended aspect of Senses. Each rank of Extended increases the range increment for modifiers by a factor of 10. Normal vision is -1 to checks per 10 feet, 2 ranks would make is -1 per 1000 ft, 3 ranks would be -1 per 10,000 ft (almost 2 miles).

-¥¥ 360 Degree Vision- the mutant has got sense organs that give her vision in a full 360 degrees of arc, and the brain modifications necessary to process the data.

Apply the Radius aspect of Sense to all Visual senses

-¥ Infrared vision

-¥ Microwave vision (heat imaging)

Confused here, heat imaging is Infrared, so these are redundant, Senses: Infravision is what you would need

-¥ Protected senses- like the Banshee, who can get sensory overload to your eardrums with no loss of sensitivity, one of your sensory organs is protected from extreme input. Someone with protected vision cannot be blinded by bright light or radiation, but can not see if there is no light, or if his eyes are poked out.

Immunity 5: sensory afflictions

-¥ Low-light vision

Senses: Low-light vision

-¥ X-Ray vision- you can see x-rays (not too useful unless you

take Energy Emission [X-Rays]).

Senses: Detect X-rays (visual) 2 ranks

-¥¥ Fast Refresh- your mutant's visual field is updated much more often than a normal human's, and your retinal memory does not interfere with this. While watching TV on an old set becomes impossible, you can see a lot of stuff that others don't (bullets in flight, hyper-speed characters) and get an extra die to dodge these things.

Senses: Rapid applied to Visual senses, if you want to gain defensive perks buy enhanced trait (parry and dodge) as well

-¥¥ Filtering Vision [PL]- the mutant can 'refuse' to see one certain substance at a time- choosing to filter out water to see the ocean floor, for instance.

-Heavy Filters [PL]- the mutant, instead of seeing all substances but one, sees no substances but one.

These two are a bit quirky. I'd run the second as a use of Senses: Detect but the first I'd consider a use of Penetrates Concealment.

-¥¥ Lightless Vision- the mutant does not require electromagnetic radiation of any kind in order to see.

Senses: Darkvision

-¥¥ Microscopic Vision- you can alter your vision to see items as small as viruses and the surfaces of atoms, at will.

Senses: Microscopic Vision

Pretty good for the most part, though sense illusion only covers a small fraction of true sight.

And the Infrared/Microwave always bugged me too, but these descriptions came straight from the book, so I give all credit to the author.

The penetrating, and filtering/heavy filtering were some that I saw as the most unique, so those were the ones that I was most interested in. I could see penetrating for filtering, though there are some differences. Detect for heavy filtering I don't really think matches the theme, but if that's the best that can be done, then that's that (aside from making new powers).

Oh, and thanks you two. Really appreciate it. Anyone else want to give it a try?

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
Pretty good for the most part, though sense illusion only covers a small fraction of true sight.

I suppose you could go with an additional Immunity (Disguise effects). Rereading I did see that I missed the ability to see Invisible which is is Sense: Counters Concealment (invisibility)

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
The penetrating, and filtering/heavy filtering were some that I saw as the most unique, so those were the ones that I was most interested in. I could see penetrating for filtering, though there are some differences. Detect for heavy filtering I don't really think matches the theme, but if that's the best that can be done, then that's that (aside from making new powers).

Since M&M is an effect driven system you need to peel away all the description down to the mechanical core of any effect you want to build. Being able to selectively not see something is penetrates concealment (and maybe the precise extra) and little more. The rest of the power you describe is window dressing in terms of how it works for your character.

The Heavy filtering, I admit, is one that I'm not sure is what you would want, but I don't really understand what the point of the power is supposed to be nor how it works. I tossed out the Detect effect because that seemed like the best fit for a power that, as I understand, allows you to find something. If this is adjustable on the fly you might need to build it into a designed Variable power (limited sensory effects).

Archived