Around the Web on March 4th

RPG Post

Around the Web on March 4th

Attack The Block

Attack The Block is what happens when Predator lands on the wrong side of the tracks in London. And Nick Frost is on hand to give comedic pearls to the teenage gangbangers who hunt down the aliens. Which now makes two movies with Nick Frost and aliens I am looking forward to this year. The other being Paul, which we have mentioned before, but it can never hurt to watch the trailer again. Or rather, experience the Red Band trailer which we have not posted before. NSFW.

Detention

When someone describes a film as The Breakfast Club meets Scream meets I don't know, I am there. And that is exactly what Detention looks like. Plus the final line on the trailer is hysterical.

The Dark Knight Rises

There are rumors flying fast and furious on-line (and when is that news in and of itself?) about the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises. The latest one concerns the entire plot, all the villains relationship to each other and even one villain's character arc. Some sites are swearing it is true, that insiders have told them this, others are less willing to accept it. If you want to read the gist of the rumor, open the spoiler area below.

Click to reveal..

The villain(s) for The Dark Knight Rises are The League of Shadows, headed by Talia Al’Ghul. Bane, who is Talia Al’Ghul's muscle/possible love interest, and some character to be played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt round out the villains for the movie.

It sounds ambitious, especially given we have heard of no second actress being hired. But the original rumors were two were needed. So who knows.

[end_news_blurb]

Famous Objects From Classic Movies

There is a game online, Famous Objects From Classic Movies which shows you a single object and lets it represent an entire movie, which you then either guess letter by letter like hangman or just know and type in the name. There were 81 choices when I played. My biggest problem was not every icon represented the implied movie to me. Some were obvious, I am still kicking myself for missing the octopus, but some were not what I think of at all when I hear the title.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is a continuously inventive online comic strip, that veers between genius and surreal. If you haven't read it, flipping through the archives will give you endless fuel to forward to friends. This comic explains where all the hours you lose playing WoW and other video games goes. I am tempted to play even more now.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner's rights have been sold to Alcon Entertainment. Or they are signing the deal, or something. The company that brought us The Blind Side. They will have the rights to make all the sequels and prequels they want. This does not warm my heart. They do not get the rights to remake Blade Runner, which in and of itself raises the question can someone make Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And have it resemble the book in any way? But if you just want a depressing cyberpunk universe on a decaying Earth, why not create your own? Blade Runner has great name recognition, but the movie is old, so much so that I wonder how many of the younger generation have seen it and how many just know the name.

An infographic all about The Death Star.

Outbreak: Undead

Looking for that perfect zombie survival game? Drivethrurpg has a free 13 page quick start guide for Outbreak: Undead. D100 rules, quick, easily understood, the art work is rudimentary, you can't beat free. And Drivethrurpg has a ton of free quick starts available so you can check out a lot of cool games before you sink money into them.

Dead Island

There is a review of sample game play for Dead Island, the trailer we posted last week. Check out Ars Technica's thoughts on the game play, voice talent and potential for the game.

Originally Posted By: RPG Forum
Blade Runner

Blade Runner's rights have been sold to Alcon Entertainment. Or they are signing the deal, or something. The company that brought us The Blind Side. They will have the rights to make all the sequels and prequels they want. This does not warm my heart. They do not get the rights to remake Blade Runner, which in and of itself raises the question can someone make Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And have it resemble the book in any way? But if you just want a depressing cyberpunk universe on a decaying Earth, why not create your own? Blade Runner has great name recognition, but the movie is old, so much so that I wonder how many of the younger generation have seen it and how many just know the name.

I read about this yesterday, and much like you, was going WTF? Really, could a sequel or prequel really garner enough interest solely on the name to sell itself?

At 30, I am dead in the middle of the coveted demographic that advertisers are trying to reach and Blade Runner is almost before my time. I mean, I've seen it, I liked it, (though watching recently, I must admit, most of my 'liking' it is now purely nostalgic.)

IMO, I think they would be much better off redoing the movie, (I know, they didn't get those rights.) and then doing some kind of prequel/sequel. Because really...I don't think the market is there to put out either option currently.

Archived