Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - New Game: Children of Quantum Fires

Krul

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My character has everything but Quantum Attunement, but unless one of you seriously makes the case to Coraline, she's not going to see the point. Just speak some very obscure language very quietly if you want to keep it secret. wink

Oh, and an idea, all. When we start this thing, I propose we let the intial scene be a domestic one, like Marina having drunk all the milk but left the carton in the fridge. Or Maia hogging the shower. Something mundane and sitcomish for our teenage godlings to wrangle over and make uncanny before Traveler comes in to kick off the Plot or whatever krull does to give us our first plot hooks. laugh

As Envoy knows, I will love a domestic scene too. Have Darrik be hogging the shower, that way, if a female character is banging on the door, he can suggest that they join him in there. laugh

Also, I just realized... Max, you could invent Vox Deus, or whatever we would name it, Attunement is just required for literacy, making the ideograms that serve as writing.

First off hi to anyone I haven't encountered in chat yet.

Oz happens to have all four of those (that is if Krul like's his character sheet). Though as I have no idea what Vox Deus is he might not be interested.

I really should read more of the books.

I really like the idea of the domestic scene, would give a good feel for their usual dynamic.

*dissapears to devour some books so he doesn't look so foolish in the future*

Pip is set up for Vox Deus creation - though I'm just as happy with it being a collaborative effort. She currently has the ability to know 20 language families - there are only 18 listed in the book - so I was planning on Vox Deus being one of the ones she would have - having either created or learned it.

And I'm also okay with starting with domestics. Though I will say, that unless there is a reason not to - Pip is likely to have everyone in fairly continuous Psychic Network - which links everyone to mental communication with everyone else - but it is completely voluntary as to what goes out across the network [ie - no one would pick up anyone's stray thoughts - thoughts have to be directed at the network for them to be transmitted]. I don't know if that will make a difference for anyone - but we can basically communicate from up to 10,000 miles away from each other - going outside the area would break the link for everyone until it is reestablished.

And here are the last four in your family, I've got most of what I need from them, just a bit of details to work out left... we're almost ready to start, I think, though I've also a few things to finish up myself, I'm looking to start in March, perhaps even on the First, which would be my birthday.

Epiphany Verity

Theme: Telepathic Communicator

This young woman ended up joining the rest of you when she was only ten, she has been with you for about 7 years now, she is bright and compassionate young woman, who is a powerful telepath. Despite the fact she is a telepath, Epiphany finds many aspects of telepathy invasive and distasteful, and has developed the ability to link groups of minds in a manner that is far less invasive, allowing mental telepathy at great distances without forcing anyone to share more then they want too. Calling it her Psychic Network, she can by using quantum, expand it’s effects to aid in further way, should it be needed, these effects can only used on individuals in the network, but she has demonstrated the ability to expand the network to shield minds, alert folks to mental threats outside the network, exchange senses, and even share skills or abilities from one in the network to another. In addition to her basic telepathic capability, she also can blast a mind with raw mental energy, and create holographic illusions in the minds around her, making it so that things appear different then they are, which she has to use in public if she doesn’t want to be notices as extra-ordinary, and her wings do allow her to fly.

Physically, she is tougher and more agile then any human can be, though not remarkably so, just enough to be noticeable, she can dodge bullets and she can adapt to any environment, including the depths of space.

Mentally, she is very capable, possessing perceptive capabilities that can only be matched by her foster sister Coraline, and her mental intelligence is incredible, though it’s not quite as remarkable as some of her other siblings, and she is very quick witted. What is more, she is a linquistic genus unmatched by any of the rest of you, she knows every language spoken or unspoken, and even has, with some help with her siblings, create an entirely new one that only a nova can understand or even speak.

Socially, Epiphany more attractive then humanly possible, is very persuasive and capable of picking up on attempts to manipulate her, no baseline can trick her, but a nova manipulator might be able too, additionally, she is the most likable of her siblings, kind, compassionate, the sister you go to for a shoulder to cry on, to talk to, or just like to be around. Pip is also the one to go too for a diplomatic solution, a she is very fair minded, and something of a mediator, you all know that unless she has no other choice, she’ll always be fair.

Oz Townsend

Theme: Master of Gravity

Oz joined your family when he was only 11, he’s been with you all for about 6 years, and he’s very capable physically and mentally. Where he excels however, in is matters of gravitational control, gravity around Oz is completely optional, it serves his every whim, he can even create a gravity well around someone that makes them completely unable to move, or surround himself in a field of wildly shifting gravitational forces that tear at everything he touches. Additionally, he can see the interrelationship of forces to the degree that time is also his to control, able to affect it in a number of ways. Lastly, Oz can even use his power over gravity and time to allow him to heal damage, accelerating the bodies healing speed, and using mico-gravity effects to perform surgical repairs.

Which is a good thing, because Oz is the Medical Doctor in the family, in fact, he knows more about medicine, then any M.D., he even actually possesses the equivalent of medical doctorate, with a specialty in Orthopedics (Bones), particularly regarding fractures. In fact, he is the worlds preeminent mind with regards to Orthopedics, no one alive knows more about bones and fractures then him. Which for a 17 year old, is amazing, but Oz is a superhuman genus, among you only Alexandra surpasses his intellect, though some of you match it in your own ways, and he learns with incredible speed, furthermore he is quite good at multi-tasking.

On the physical level, he’s stronger and tougher then humanly possible, easy capable of lifting a ton or so, and tougher then humanly possible, his physical vitality and health are very high. But where he excels is regarding his raw agility, he doesn’t match some of his sisters, but he is within reach, and he’s very good at finishing things quickly. Oz is a capable warrior in battle, though not the raw powerhouse that Maia is, he can bring quite a bit of capability to the table.

He’s very analytical in the manner he approaches everything, but he’s dependent on his quick wits to deal with social matters, he doesn’t approach them with the ease he does physical and mental tasks. He does have a hard time speaking slowly though, his words running together so fast that if one isn’t listening closely, and without his direct attention gravity has a tenancy to shift and change around him constantly, which can be a problem at times.

John Lee "Butch" Cole, Jr.

Theme: Master of Bio-Energy (Life)

John’s been with the rest of you sense he was 13 years of age, and before that, he was on the streets for a year or two, after his father died, but the Traveler found him and brought him to the island at that age. For most youngsters, ending up on the streets by 11 would be a death sentence, or a least a very unpleasant life, but John is incredibly tough, so much so that only Maia matches his raw physical health and toughness. His agility and strength are also superhuman, giving him considerable physical capability, though only just beyond the human limits.

However, while he doesn’t possess Maia’s constant physical potential, and it costs him quantum energy, John can supercharge himself and others with bio-energy, boosting their strength beyond normal limits, becoming a physical powerhouse, he’s the only one who can fight Maia physically one on one and have a chance of holding his own, at least regarding strength and stamina, she remains quicker more agile then him… when working together however, mountains can be moved, literally in some cases. In physical combat, John is a brawler, using raw power, rather then shear agility, depending on his extra ordinary strength to get him through.

Of course, he doesn’t have to entirely rely on physical capabilities, it’s his mastery over bio-energy that makes him a terrifying opponent. He can draw health and life force from his opponents, and even drain their quantum reserves, even directly heal or hurt someone just by altering the flow of bio-energy in their bodies, or even increasing or decreasing it. His control over bio-energy also extends to controlling heat and temperature, as both are produced by bio-energy, to the point of being able to unleash bolts of bio-energy at targets, defend himself from attacks, and alter temperatures around him. He can even completely disintegrate a living target by causing the bio-energy within their bodies to turn against them.

Socially, he’s likable, and incredibly handsome, super-model level appearance, though he is not superhumanly attractive, he’s just short of it. He also can be very intimidating, and is quite knowledgeable of the criminal underbelly, especially within the US and Canada. Mentally, he possesses superhuman perceptions and wits, but his intelligence is only a bit over the human average

Warren Smith

Theme: Warp Master

Warren is the resident master of warps and spatial effects, while others provide for the family in one way or another, it is Warren who opens the way for them to travel wherever they might chose. Possessing supreme degrees of perception, Warren joins his sisters, Coraline and Epiphany in extremely superior superhuman awareness of his surroundings, but he surpasses them with regards to his knowledge of navigation and investigative techniques, being a capable detective as well as everything else. Astronomy and geography is something most of you learned from him, not to mention investigative techniques, not to mention any form of meditation.

Warren joined the family at about 9 years of age,sense then has become a master martial artist and is considered ready to begin learning specific styles by the Traveler, marking him as one of his best students. In fact, when it comes to raw ability, Warren is either at the limits of human capability, or beyond them, attractive, suave, athletic, agile, it seems that he excels at any task he puts his mind too, which could be annoying, if it wasn’t for how likeable he is. Warren possesses superhuman degrees of intelligence, he is a tactical genus in battle, and he’s possesses superhuman degree of health as well, adapting to any environment, like most of his siblings.

It is in control of spatial relations and warps, however, that Warren comes into his own, he can open warps, of course, but he can also do far more then that, using his control over the nature of warps, he can do completely unbelievable things, from flying to creating a shield around him that warps space in such a way to defend him from attacks. He can see through walls, and even alter his own density to be able to walk though walls if he chooses. Possessing superhuman intuition, his spatial awareness allows him to be aware when he’s in danger, and warp out should he chose too. Warren can also extend several tendrils of warp energy to manipulate things around him in small ways, allowing him to do a number of different things with them, aiding him in numerous ways. In physical combat, should he close to melee range, he usually creates a razor sharp sword made out of warp energy that allows him to cut though almost anything.

Ok, this is going to be my Login to run this game, allowing me to focus on the game when in this login, and I request everyone to send a current sheet to this login.. along the following template, powers should contain their alternate names, in bold, with the power source in ()… like follows Flame Blast (Quantum Bolt 3), mega attributes should have their enhancements following in a similar manner Mega-Strength 3 (Crush, Lifter).

Send me only Character PM’s, and completed ones, also in the future, any other questions and such should be sent to my 'Krul' login. I will reply to your post, but only to set up you all in a list to keep things good a collected for my notes, and in the future to indicate the experience you've earned.

Name

Nature

Theme

Attributes

Mega Attributes

Abilities

Backgrounds

Powers

Other (Initiative, Willpower, Quantum, etc)

Aberration/Flaws

Plot Hooks

History

And now, for some details certain mechanical aspects regarding the game, from some of the notes I've put together

Apotheosis

• When Apotheosis occurs, certain things will be added, it will be based on theme, personality and desire. While you’ll have some control over this, in terms of input and desire, I'll want fit the nature, experience and personality of the character as well, so it will be an interactive cooperative effort instead of me simply giving you some extra Nova points to spend as you like.

Mastery

• While this isn’t going to apply immediately, sense no one is eligible for Mastery until after Apotheosis, but it will apply after that point, so here’s the rules regarding mastery.

• Mastery has certain requirements before it can be purchased, here they are.

o First, a Power must have a minimum number of dots equal to the Quantum required for that level of Mastery – 1. For example, to add Mastery One, which requires 6 Quantum, to Quantum Bolt, one must have 6-1 which means 5 dots the Quantum Bolt Power. Or, in the case of Mastery Two, 8-1 or 7 Dots in Q. Bolt.

o Second, Mastery can only be purchased with experience, after the power has reached the required number of dots; it can not be purchased in any other manner, as in purchasing a new power with mastery.

o Third, Mastery does not stack with any other extra, it overrides and eliminates it. This means that the Reduced Quantum Cost or the Increased Range, or Increased Duration extra can not be applied to a power with Mastery. One can add other extras to a power with mastery, but only ones that Mastery doesn’t offer already. For example, you can’t add Reduced Quantum Cost to Teleport with Mastery One, but you could have the Combat Teleport extra.

o Fourth, the effects of mastery are not gained immediately, the initial purchase of mastery gives the Nova the Reduced Quantum Cost effect + One effect of the Nova’s Choice (Scope, Effort, or Duration), further effects are as you add additional dots to the power, which means that with the above example with Q.Bolt, you need 7 Dots before all of the effects of Mastery One are gained.

Thank you.. and as a Birthday present to myself..

And a gift to everyone else.. let us begin..

As requested, begin with domestic things, there will be time more complex things as we move on.

Feel free to add personal touches to the island and complex, most of you could easily add scuplture of some method or another.. like Marina sculpting the hot springs to certain configurations, or Alex creating actual sculptures by shaping stone.. or Alex's lab within the complex.. etc.

http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/266593/Children_of_Quantum_Fire_Findi.html#Post266593

Looking at your character sheets, some of you may have noticed a box indicating standard, baseline and nova xp, I figure I should cover this.

Standard XP is regular xp, it is earned by regular posting, and it can be used on anything xp can be used on. It can also be added together with either of the other types of xp in order to give yourself more in a particular are.

Baseline and Nova xp are earned by the types of things you chose to do, and can be used only on certain things.

Baseline xp is limited to things a Baseline human could purchase with xp, namely, basic attributes, abilities, and some backgrounds. It is earned when one makes use of these capabilities, especially when it's something you haven't done before.

Nova XP is limited to nova attributes and abilities only, powers, mega-attributes, body mods, and some backgrounds. It is earned by doing the kinds of things only nova's can do, but most especially by pushing your limits.

Kasheal is Oz? Hee, ok. Sorry, I guess I got confused there. I guess I didn't get the hyphenated word thing from his first post...even though hedid use it. Just really short sentences, so I didn't notice

Cool! Nevermind then. smile

For those who I haven't shown in chat yet here is the very nerdy and very british Oz (or Oswald if you wish to spend the rest of the day on the ceiling)

http://kasheal.deviantart.com/#/d3ae1sq

I will post pics of the other characters I have drawn so far when I have a working scanner, which will be tomorrow.

The list so far is, Darrik, Marina, Maia, Cora (being bugged by Oz) and kiss the cook Darrik.

Bad form on my part. Humble apologies.

This is my first time in a game like this, so forgive any lapses of this sort.

I'm familiar with the setting, yes. I've followed it since it first appeared years ago, but I never got around to playing it.

Honestly, I wasn't sure how the whole chat thing works, but I'm interested. I can't participate now, but I'm free most of tomorrow during the day.

Glad to be a part of it all though smile

Ah, well the biggest thing atm for me was that Butch sounded IC like he was living under a rock. We have an active OpNet connection and all, so if you're not intending to present that idea, then you might want to edit and rephrase it. Just trying to explain what the issue is. Though tbh, in my opinion, a nova census isn't exactly the best use of our time.

Archived