The EPIC Project

The Story Guide

My wife and I have a lot of interest in sustainable green living and I like a lot of what EPIC stands for.

I am curious about one thing however. It's the thing that kills most tight-knit communities... no matter how much people all think alike, disagreements will always arise, and there will always be ambition and those who want to be 'in charge' etc. What does the EPIC community do to prevent this from tearing it apart? What happens if one family doesn't want their children taught some specific thing in school (assuming homeschooling here, but even so in a community like this the kids are going to learn a great deal together). Even a little thing like that can lead to community divisions, just look at all the crazies in the Evolution vs Creation debate.

Understand, I'm not trying to poke holes in a beautiful idea here, I'm honestly curious as to how you guys envision that sort of thing being dealt with and prevented. I know for myself and my wife, we could never consider being part of a community like that unless we felt safe in the knowledge that lack of conformity was not an exile-able offense.

I am a supporter of sustainable living. I like the idea of many 'green' things for purely selfish reasons (use less resources that I have to pay for). I don't know that I agree with/go along with enough of the 'green movement' hype to join a community based around that though. (speaking in rough, broad terms here. absolutely no offense implied)

And while I agree with the general gist of the statement at the top of the page, I believe that it's more the families that a society/civilization is built upon more so than individual citizens (mainly owing to the fact that the family is the largest single impact on each citizen).

I'll definitely keep reading the sight though, to see all your ideas and views.

Definitely agree with SG on the selfish thing... I want to be off grid because I want to flip the bird at the blood sucking electric companies! Not because I'm some tree hugging elf. On the other hand, don't mess with my trees, or I'll F you up! grin

Everyone has their own reasons for "being green". I do like nature, I do feel strongly about living more gently on the Earth, but I also like what Fox said: I'd love to not have to depend on an outside force that is, at its core mission, out to make money.

SG, family is a huge impact; that's why its a focus at EPIC. Community is a type of family, as I've found living here with Mala and Daven. They are the family I've chosen. However, I am first and foremost, a person. My family influences me, but I am still me. That's why I have that personally like our focus in that regard.

I live my life based on the principle of long-term selfishness: essentially, I choose my friends and family because they provide something to me (good feelings, skills, support, etc.) and I do my best to build them up as successful people because then they are able to provide even more to me. I expect and encourage them to do the same with me. We all benefit, we're all being selfish, and so far it's worked admirably in my life.

On the other hand, I avoid people that employ short-term selfishness (free-riders, emotional vampires/codependent personalities, drama queens and kings, etc.) like the plague they are because not only do they muck things up while they're around, but they prevent others from growing as people and thus ruining my own plans for them.

EPIC is like long-term selfishness on a community scale. Living green means using less resources for each item/activity/whatnot, meaning you have more resources for other projects. Civic service means working less for the base necessities of life and having more time and energy to pursue personal goals and passions, and on and on. It's about efficiency, which also happens to overlap nicely with sustainable and community.

As for your question on education, Fox, the educational system is set up to be quite customizable. Parents would have a great deal of say over the specifics of what their children learn, and children, once they became adults, would have the opportunity to return to any subjects they wished to learn that their parents didn't approve when they were younger. The only controversies I can think of off the top of my head are evolution (which could be avoided by the child, parent, and facilitator choosing chemistry or physics for their science focus) and sex education. That one is a bit more tricky and I think would have to be discussed by the community as a whole on how to proceed there. Knowing the health side of sex is something that I think is critical, especially for teens that are almost certainly going to be sexually active. I don't have an answer right now; it would need to be discussed with those involved in the community.

• 2 years later...

Archived