WoT game: First Age

Mr Fox

This is what I've come up with so far. The plan is to use the ST system but with the nova points going toward buying One Power related options instead of nova powers.

My desire here is to have an easy to use and very flexible system to mimick what we see from the Wheel of Time books. The setting however would be Modern times.

I think the character creation is pretty well balanced from the couple test characters I've made so far. You could make the strongest channeler possible, but doing so would mean sacrificing buying nearly anything else. Or you could create an absolutely top notch item creator, but again, you'd sacrifice everything else. On the other hand, if you don't go crazy with any one aspect of the character you can create one that is very well balanced. The nice thing is that the player can choose to pursue the aspects of the setting that interest them.

The rules:

You can perform any weave you are taught or that you can imagine and think up within these guidlines:

You can cast any weave you know anytime you wish, as many times as you wish until you are too fatigued to continue. In other words, there are no specific number of spells per day. No rolls are required to cast the weave, only to determine the effect, ie. if it causes damage you would need to roll for damage.

Fatigue - Roleplay this factor. The stronger you are in the Power the more you can cast, but there are no specific numbers for how many weaves you can cast before becoming too tired to continue. Trying to create specifics would get so complicated that it would end up feeling like a Rolemaster game. The ST will be the final arbiter and will give you a nudge if he/she thinks you are going too far. (In a game setting I find it pretty hard to imagine characters casting so many weaves in a single scene that they would get too fatigued to continue.)

Strength in the One Power - All characters start at a base of 50, but can purchase higher strength at character creation. That is not to say that you can't choose to be weaker in the Power for RP reasons. If you do you will receive a 'Talent', or a 'knack', to be determined by the ST with input from the player. See Character Creation for details. (In the books some of the weakest channelers possessed suprising abilities like the Kin woman who could hold shields on anyone no matter how strong they were in the power, even one of the Forsaken; or the Ashaman who could create gateways better than nearly anyone even through he wasn't strong enough to do even many of the 'easy' weaves that the newest recruits could perform.)

Affinities - Affinities make it easier to cast weaves using that element. The character starts the game with an affinity for one element of the player's choice. Further affinities can be purchased with bonus points at creation or with XP at any time during the game. Players are limited to a maximum of 3 affinities.

Men generally are strongest in Fire, Earth and Spirit.

Women are generally strongest in Air, Water and Spirit.

This doesn't mean you are limited to choosing these as affinities, they are simply the most common by gender.

Creating New Weaves:

1) Your character must have the knowledge necessary to create the weave...

Expamle (simple): Fire. What knowledge do you need to light a candle? Fire is hot. Grab a thread of fire and direct it at the candle's wick and presto, one lit candle.

Example (Complicated): Flight. If I tried to create a weave to allow me to fly from the top of a tall building safely to the ground, How would I do it? With my knowledge of the mechanics of how planes fly, I would use strands of hardened Air to create wings. I happen to know that the reason planes don't simply plummet to the ground is not the fact that they have wings, but because their wings are shaped a specific way. As air passes over and under the wings a negative pressure is created over the wing's upper surface creating lift. So I would shape my wings of Air the same way, then when I jumped off the building and air started passing over the surface of the wings they would create lift and function correctly. Otherwise, I would just plummet to the ground uncontrollably. (See the Mythbusters episode where they tried to use a sheet of plywood to slow buster's decent to the ground. It was not possible to control and was not survivable.) Thus, you must have the correct knowledge before you can create a new weave.

2) There is an element of risk. Roll a d100.

Creating a new weave will result in one of 4 outcomes:

75 to 100 It works as expected

6 - 74 Something happens but it is not what was expected.

2 - 5 You burn out the ability to channel permanantly, other channelers shudder to think of your loss.

1 You die horribly and are an example to future generations of just how high the price of failure can be.

Factors for success:

+1 for each Element for which you have an affinity.

+1 for each day spent preparing and thinking about how to make the new weave

+1 to +50 for any positive factor that might effect your attempt

+1 for every 5 points of Strength in the OP over 50.

+1 for every point of Intelligence and/or Wits over 3.

-1 for each Element for which you do not have an affinity.

-1 for each Element required to create the weave

-1 for every strand needed to cast the weave.

-1 to -90 depending on how complicated the weave.

-1 to -10 depending on how stressful the situation

+ or - ?? a variable amount for each attempt after the first depending on result of previous attempts (assuming the failed attempts didn't do permanant damage)

A roll of 95 or higher is always a non-failure.

A roll of 5 or lower is always a failure, regardless of bonuses.

Example:

Simon is cornered by government agents on the roof of a 30 story high rise apartment building and wants to create a weave to fly in order to escape. Simon's player describes it as weaving two strands of air to make the wings, and a strand of air and spirit to make a shaped chamber to house his 'fire' to make propulsion. He wants to shape it so that the contained fire will be pressurized as it exits. He also weaves 3 strands of fire to create the propulsion.

The ST thinks he's insane but Simon's player is feeling lucky. (big mistake)

+ 2 Simon has Affinity for Fire and Spirit

+15 for Simon's knowledge of airplanes and how they work.

-10 under pressure for it being a life and death sitation.

-7 number of strands being weaved

-60 for how complicated of a weave he is attempting

-1 He does not have an affinity for air

-61 total to his roll, Simon must have a death wish.

He rolls and gets a 96 but with the -61 penalty to his roll, his adjusted total is only 35... something unexpected happens.

He leaps from the top of the building but the strands of fire just sit inside the housing of air and spirit and don't really offer any push, and the wings are not shaped quite right. The ST rules that he is gliding but instead of the normal 3 foot foward for every 1 foot he drops, he's moving at 2 feet forward for every 1 foot drop. Not good enough. It might be survivable, but the landing is going to hurt.

Luckily he's got a long way to fall and just enough time to make one more attempt, so he desperately tries again, this time doing the sensible thing and only focusing on making wings shaped the right way.

+15 for knolwedge

+20 for second attempt (ST decides he learned something.)

-2 for the number of strands

-1 does not have affinity for air

+32 total on his roll now

He rolls and receives 47, +32 for his bonuses = 79 Success!

Simon adjusts his weave and now glides the rest of the way safely to the ground.

Once a character has successfully cast a weave they no longer have to roll the scary success/failure roll. Simon will always be able to create gliding wings from now on, but he still can't actually fly, only glide.

Learning existing Weaves:

When learning a new weave from another player or NPC there is no chance of death, however, there is still the possibility of your character burning out.

When learning from a teacher it is not necessary to have the knowlege of how to create the effect... in other words, I don't have to know how an internal combustion engine works in order to drive a car, but I do if I want to invent the car from scratch. Same with learning weaves, you don't need to know how it works, only that it does.

70 - 100 Learns the weave

2-69 Does not learn the weave

1 Burns out.

Factors for success:

+10 for every day spent studying the weave

+5 for each Element for which you have an affinity.

+5 for every 10 points of Strength in the OP over 50.

+5 for every point of Intelligence and/or Wits over 3.

-5 for each Element for which you do not have an affinity.

-5 for each Element required to create the weave

-1 for every strand needed to cast the weave.

-1 to -30 depending on how complicated the weave.

-1 to -10 depending on how stressful the situation

Character Creation:

30 NPs

Bonus points:

Affinities can be purchased for 7 bonus points.

Strength in the One Power can be purchased at a cost of 5 points for 5 bonus points.

Backgrounds purchased at creation will be gained in game as it progresses.

Nova points:

Talents Variable (See Talents for cost)

Knacks 10 (limited to one)

Strength 1 /per 2 points

Affinities 3 /per affinity

Abilities 1 /per 6 dots

Attributes 1 /per 3 dots

Background 1 /per 5 dots

Willpower 1 /per dot

(Abilities/Knowledges under Intelligence cannot be purchased higher than 1 dot at creation due to your Amnesia.)

Talents: Talents allow you to do things that others cannot.

Making - 10 The ability to create Ter'angreal, An'greal, and Sa'An'greal.

Foretelling - 5 Ability to predict the future (this is not under the characters control)

Dreaming - 10 Ability to enter Tel'aran'rhiod while asleep. Also can predict the future and enter people's dreams.

Aligning the Matrix - 5 The ability to make metal stronger, the key to crafting power-made swords.

Cloud Dancing - 10 Ability to control and manipulate weather patterns, such as creating storms or wind or clearing the sky to make a sunny day.

Compulsion - 10 The ability to influence another's mind and actions. It is possible to completely erase one's personality and autonomous thought with enough layers of compulsion.

Delving (Living) - 5 Allows the user to discern a patient's injuries and illnesses.

Delving (Earth) - 5 involves being able to sense and extract ores from the earth without causing disruptions to the landscape.

Earth Singing - 10 Ability to control and manipulate Earth, such as creating boulders from the ground or generating landslides and earthquakes. Differs from controling the Earth by weaves in that people with this talent do not need to use as much strength, and have far greater control and manipulative ability. Also, Earth Singers can actually manipulate Earth instead of simply moving it.

Listening to the Wind - 5 The skill of foretelling the weather and also predicting the abundancy of crops. Can also predict 'storms' of a different sort.

Reading Residues - 10 A channeler with this Talent can read and duplicate a weave even days after it was woven. The only way to leave no trace of a weave is to Unpick it, one strand at a time, which is very dangerous.

Ta'veren Seeing - 5 Allows the channeler to see ta'veren in a golden light.

Unweaving - 5 The ability to pick apart a weave so as to leave no evidence of it behind. It is uncommon and is known to be dangerous to those who try it without the talent.

Seeing Auras - 15 The abilty to see auras around a person's head which indicate their future. Not everyone has auras and the person who sees them doesn't always know what they mean, but when they know, they are certain.

Knacks:

Knacks are a special affinity for a specific weave.

10 points for a knack, but you are limited to one knack.

Knacks allow the character to be incredibly good at a particular weave and they can do it better than even the strongest and most skilled channelers. In game terms this means the weave does not cause fatigue, and if there were a contest between the character an another channeler, the one with the Knack would always win.

Example from the books - one of the Kin was able to hold both Elayne and Nynaeve shielded without assistance and no matter how hard they tried they couldn't break the shield. They could have burst through anyone else's shield.

Rules Addendum:

Multiple weaves - In the books, there was a definite correlation between strength in the power and deftness with it. One way this manifested was via the ability to cast multiple weaves at one time.

For every 10 points of strength above 50, a channeler can hold one extra weave at a time.

Also, the background Node is being replaced with Multi-weave. For every dot in Multiweave a channeler can cast and hold one extra weave at a time. This represents a channelers innate deftness with making weaves.

It is also possible to play a wolf brother, but that would be a straight package with separate creation rules.

Wolfbrother/wolfsister package: 20NP

- eyes turn golden, and sight becomes better than normal

- develop wolf sense of smell (can smell the emotions of those around you)

- better than normal hearing

- Telepathic communication with wolves

- Can enter Tel'aran'rhiod when sleeping

- Possible to Dream images of the present/future (This occurs at ST whim.)

They don't capture the flavor of the books for me. You are relegated to x number of weaves per day, and you have no freedom to come up with new weaves. Since the setting I have in mind is in our own age (the age before the Age of Legends), that means there aren't many weaves yet that people would know so there needs to be a means for experimenting and creating new ones.

Plus, I like the ST system, it seems less rigid to me than d20.

• 2 weeks later...

Premise: Channeling has been discovered and the world will never be the same again. An already delicate political situation grows more tense as governments and coporations acquire channelers and use them to gain advantage over their rivals. Eventually this will lead to Armegeddon, and from there will arise an Age of Ledgends.

------

'So what's my story? How did it all begin?' That's what I usually get asked by those I've rescued, once they have enough wits to ask questions. Actually, that's not the first thing they ask, that's usually 'Who are you?' followed almost immediately, by a look of profound confusion and 'Who am I?'

So let me start with the most basic two questions and build the story from there. Who am I? The name I've chosen is Fox. It wasn't the name I was born with obviously, but then I'm not really the person I used be, but more on that in a minute. Now for the $64,000 dollar question... Who are you? You are a victim of a shadow war of which the public is completely unaware. You don't know your name, you don't remember anything of who you are. I know that's not a very comfortable place to be, I went through it myself, but there is one bright side. Ok, it's not really much of a brightside but it's important to remain positive right? The brightside you ask impatiently...? Whoever you were, you have no family, and no one to miss you. Ok, so that's not really much of a bright side for you, but at least you won't have some loved one spending the rest of their lives wondering what happened to you.

When I went through this, I had my wife and daughter and parents there for me and it was pretty tragic. Not for me, it was great to have a support group of family to help me integrate back into society. The tragedy was for them. After undergoing the 'treatment' I was just like you. I had no memories at all. My wife and daughter and parents were complete strangers to me. They had these incredible bonds of emotion tied to me, but I felt nothing for them beyond an appreciation for the efforts they were going through to help me. It was pretty uncomfortable. I feel strongly for them now, but it is not the love they feel for me. Despite all their efforts, I never recovered even a glimmer of my former memories or emotions toward them, only a friendship and appreciation deeper than I can adequately express. Maybe you'll be luckier than me and get some of your memories back. Even that doesn't matter because in the end I had to abandon them to protect them, so their loss was two fold. Had I known what I would put them through, I never would have agreed to the 'treatment' in the first place, I would have chosen to die rather than hurt them the way I have.

What is the 'treatment'? The treatment was a combination of chemical and gene therapies wrapped in a nano coctail designed to boost the body's immune system to very high levels. Caduceus Corp, one of the world's biggest drug companies, had made some important innovations in nano-tech over the last few years and had tailored the little buggers to target all kinds of negative things in a persons body, from viruses, to repairing cellular damage caused by free radicals. That alone was destined to make them billions, once they were allowed to test the treatment on humans anyway. That was the problem... The US government was balking at human experimentation. They weren't sure what the effect would be having not had a chance to try the treatment on a human before and that's where I came in. I had an inoperable brain tumor. You see, I was willing to travel outside the country to take their experiamental treatment. After all, what did I have to lose. I was in constant excruciating pain and the doctors were amazed that I hadn't already died. With little time to spare they flew me down to a remote town in Mexico where they had deals with the local governement officials to look the other way.

They threw everything they had at me, the full spectrum of targeted nano-viruses, gene therapies and chemicals. The chemical part of the coctail attacked the tumors and broke them up allowing the tailored nano viruses to target and repair the damage. The gene therapy meanwhile was rewriting my genetic code to make me immuned to future reoccurrences of the cancer. The result was that I'm healthier now than I've ever been. I haven't had a cold, allergies, or any other illness in the three years since I was treated.

'That fine' you say, but what about you? How do I know you have no family waiting for you? Because after Caduceus Corp tried their experimental treatment on me and realized the unforseen consequence, (total memory loss) they refused to risk lawsuits or bad public relations and from then on, they only tried the treatment on people that society wouldn't miss... people with no family or other close ties. They were convinced they had a money maker with this new treatment, after all people with cancer will pay just about anything to save their lives, and despite the 'side effect', the treatment did work. I was completely and totally cured, I just was no longer the old 'me'. In fact, I as better than cured, but more about that later.

'How do you know all this', you ask? After my treatement the doctors at Caduceus were very keen to do everything they possibly could to keep my family from blowing the whistle on their little human experiment. They brought me in regularly for checkups and physicals and while I was there one day, I accidentlally saw something I wasn't meant to see. The head researcher was called away for a medical emergency and was gone for a couple hours and left his laptop open in my room, so I did the natural thing and snooped. I had plenty of time to look at his files and even saved his research to a thumb drive. I was only looking for my own records becuase I was curious about what he had written about my treatement. What I found was records of a dozen other patients all undergoing versions of the 'treatement'. According to his notes, they thought they could resolve the memory loss effect while still maintaining the positive results. That was good news for people who suffered from previously incurable brain cancers and other maladies. If I had stopped reading there, I would have been blissfully ignorant and might have lived the rest of my life unaware of what had set in motion.

You see, what I found wasn't just records of the treatment. The head researcher, Dr. Jonas McIntyre also had his journal on the computer. It had all his thoughts and notes. He seemed like such a nice man until I read the things in there. He speculated that various goverments would pay for the chemical portion of the treatment that wiped memories. Turns out that the Dr. was quite the mercenary bastard. He had plans to sell out Caduceus Corp, and to sell the various aspects of the treatment to companies and governments all over the world, and not just the nice ones either. And all of that was even before things went sideways.

What I discovered reading his journal was that there was another side effect besides the memory loss. He had labeld it as 'Acquired Savant Syndrome'... At first it sounded like that's what it might really be... after all there were well documented cases of people with brain injuries recovering and developing amazing gifts to compensate for the damage that had been done. There were people like Tim Pack that could do math calculations that would take a programmer a week of coding to duplicate, and the kid that that can remember any song he's ever heard played on the piano and play it back precisely even if it was years ago. It really wan't too suprising really that the treatment had this sort of effect, after all it chemically and physically scrubbed the brain and 'repaired' any damaged areas.

But that was before I read the descriptions of what these 'Savants' could do.... Some of his test subjects had displayed 'unusual phonomena' and reported sensing a 'light' just beyond visual range that they could sometimes touch. It had only begun recently and only with some of the patients, but all of the ones that could sense the light eventually began to display these abilities. They claimed to be tapping into the 'light' and using it to manipulate the basic elements of creation. I could tell from his journal that Dr. McIntyre had caught gold fever and he was already contacting 'buyers'. It was unclear from reading at the time if he planned to sell the treatment or the poor people on whom he had used the treatment.

And that's why I went from being a cancer recovery patient, just happy to be alive, to being a loner hiding my identity and plotting against Caduceus Corp and the governments and agencies who would use this new discovery to traffic in human slaves. Because when you take a person like you who has no sense of who they are and no memories and turn them into weapons, it is nothing but slavery!

That is why you are here. I rescued you from the Caduceus' lab; you are the latest batch of victims that they plucked from the streets. You might have been a taxi driver, or a college student, or a special forces volunteer, we have no way of knowing, but what I do know is this. You are free, but you will be hunted by Caduseus and by the Governement, and someday soon you will start to sense the 'light' and soon after that you'll touch the threads of power and if you survive, your lives will never be dull. I'll teach you what little I can as fast as I can, but then it's up to choose what to do with your future.

So that's who I am, and who you are and why you are here with no memory and no idea what to make of all that I've told you. Just know that you aren't the first that I've rescued, and hopefully you won't be the last. I make it a habit to be a thorn in their side and if enough of us are free then some day this shadow war of espionage and secrets will be over, they will have to treat us as people and not property and they will no longer be able to use us. You are free to leave at any time and you can do whatever you want with your lives including join the enemy, but I hope you will decide to help me fight back and free more of our brothers and sisters in the Light.

Rules Addendum:

Multiple weaves - In the books, there was a definite correlation between strength in the power and deftness with it. One way this manifested was via the ability to cast multiple weaves at one time.

For every 10 points of strength above 50, a channeler can hold one extra weave at a time.

Also, the background Node is being replaced with Multi-weave. For every dot in Multiweave a channeler can cast and hold one extra weave at a time. This represents a channelers innate deftness with making weaves.

The internet ate my post!

I composed a post a few minutes ago and now it appears to be gone. *grumbles*

So I was saying that I have 4 people now, but I'm still open for more. I know there was at least one who was expressing temptation to join.

Go ahead and start working up your characters. 30 NPs for character creation. (I'm going to run a couple tests and see what effect starting at 35 might have, but for now start with 30 and if I give you 5 more later that would just be gravy.)

Also keep in mind that you have Amnesia and therefore you cannot purchase more than 1 dot starting out in any Ability that falls under Intelligence. In other words you can't start with 5 science in order to have the knowledge necessary to be able to create horribly complex weaves. wink

Also there will be a new Knowledge under Intelligence: The One Power. It will represent how much you know about the One Power and how it works. Like any other Intelligence related Ability, it can only be purchased at 1 dot starting out.

Yes and no. Starting the game you get one free weave. Talk with me and let me know what you want and we'll discuss it. I will also give you several more. You'll know basic things like making hardened air, lighting fires, and I'll give you a couple more complicated weaves like cloaking yourselves with shadows to help hide.

Basically, anything from the books is possible to learn during the course of the game, but in the beginning you guys will be starting with very little. Like the intro above says, you've just awoken recently from having your brain chemically wiped and physically altered. You only know what you've picked up since awakening.

Sorry, I'm just about to start a new job, and I'm going to have trouble being on consistently. I think I'll be able to carry on in the two games I'm in right now, but given that this job is going to be a serious challenge for me on several levels (different city, career I've been away from for a decade, not having my housing situation worked out and short notice), I think it would be prudent of me to bow out.

Ok guys. Game on.

Katalyst, I still haven't gotten a sheet from you. Hope you are still interested, if so drop me a PM, but we are going to plow ahead without you rather than waiting.

The game is open for one or two more if anyone is interested.

Ok, each of you has your own special weave that you learned on your own.

Aside from that you both know the following weaves:

arms of air - (air) telekinesis

create fire - (fire) self explanatory

false wall - (air, earth) creates an illusion of a wall

harden air - (air) make air solid

light - (air, fire) creates a glowing sphere of light

disguise - (air, earth, spirit) creates an illusion that will make you look like someone else, only covers the head.

cloak of shadows - (air, spirit) gathers shadows around you allowing you to hide in the dark more easily.

ward against people - (spirit, air) creates a ward that will sound a warning if crossed.

Awesome SG. Welcome aboard.

Also, this question was asked in PM but I think it bears answering here:

Can talents be purchased later with xp?

Nope, talents are something you are 'born' with, so have to be purchased at creation. That's the balance for the game and so that people can't have characters who are great at everything. I'm trying to make this as close to the way the books worked as possible and except for Rand and a few others, most channelers didn't even have one talent much less several. This way you have to choose what's important to you. wink

The flip side of the whole balance thing is that the game will be pretty free form in terms of learning. You don't have to spend xp to learn weaves, you just have to do it IC and make the roll, so the only real limit to what you can learn (weave wise) is time and the knowledges to figure it out.

Talent's on the other hand are innate to the individual. Some people just don't have a knack for making ter'angreal and no matter how much they practice or learn, they'll never be good at it. Same is true of all talents.

Example from the books, Egwene has a talent for making Quendillar (or however that's spelled). She was able to teach others to do it and they could make very small pieces with difficulty but only she and a few others had a 'talent' for it and were able to do big stuff and could do it easily. Some talents simply could not be taught like Seeing Auras or Fortelling, on the other hand some could, like Compulsion. However, even on the ones that can be taught, someone with the talent will always be much better than someone without.

I was thinking about this, this morning and I had a question about purchasing dots in backgrounds. Is there a limit to the number of dots, or do you have to use more points per dot when you reach a certain number?

If I wanted to sink 2NP points into a background feat that would equal 10 dots, unless I don't understand it correctly?

You get 7 dots at character creation. You can buy more with either bonus points or Nova Points. I think BP are one for one; I know that NP are 5 for 1 NP. I don't think there's a limit to what you can buy aside from Fox's personal preferences. He'll have to speak to that.

Backgrounds, affinities, willpower.

Once we get started, I might think about offering a free weave for X amount of xp or something like that, which you could get without the risk of death for your character that learning weaves normally presents.

Archived