Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RPG Post

RPG Post's 2010 Best Of: Media

7 posts in this topic

Favorite Movies: The Last Airbender, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, HP7, Despicable Me, How to Train Your Dragon, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief & R.E.D.

TV Shows: Dr. Who (with David Tennant), Holmes on Homes, SGU, Phineas & Ferb, Dirty Jobs, and I've become reacquainted with several series that aren't being made anymore (SG1, TNG, etc.)

My favorite movies were Iron Man 2, Tron:Legacy, and Scott Pilgrim

My favorite TV shows were Big Bang Theory, and a rather large selection of anime I got to see this year. Futurama and Family guy get serious points too.

As far as the net, some of the anime demotivators collages were hilarious, in addition to the Internet promotional Videos for Mechwarrior and Super Robot Wars.

Favorite Films: Inception, Scott Pilgrim Versus The World, The Town, The Social Network, Unstoppable, Black Swan, 127 Hours, The Losers, Never Let Me Go, Toy Story 3. There are other noteworthy films, but these were the keepers for me.

My Inception Interpretation:

Click to reveal..
The true target of inception is the audience.

Like Moll - the spinning top at the end plants the seed of doubt in our minds, that none of it may be 'real.' Nearly all discussion of Inception revolves around this idea and less around its visual aesthetic, its action, or its acting. Every time I see someone try to figure out what parts are dream-state and what parts are real, I smile and think of the top wobbling just enough to give us doubt. Nolan wants us to argue about the reality of the film and to question it, which is why he left it ambiguous.

It's right there on the poster. 'The Dream Is Real.'

My (Less Serious) Inception Interpretation:

Click to reveal..
Titanic is a dream constructed by an architect and featuring Cobb, constructed for the purposes of incepting Rose. Throughout the two layers of the dream, one in present day and one in the past, the idea is planted in Rose that wealth and material goods are unimportant compared to healthy relationships. The fact that much of it takes place on an ocean is significant - in dreams, the ocean represents spiritual rebirth.

Favorite TV: Not too much TV this year, but I got into the first season of Fringe and have been watching the second season of Leverage. And Doctor Who, of course - Matt Smith and Stephen Moffat's take on the Doctor is arguably the best it's ever been.

Music: Why didn't any of you tell me about the mashup artist Girl Talk? Okay, I suppose none of you heard of him. Well, as the podcast War Rocket Ajax says, take the best 60 to 90 seconds of a mashup where all the musical elements and lyrics from different songs all synch up perfectly, and string them one after the other for 60 to 90 minutes. "Big Ups to All My Haters" set against "Pump It Up." Lady Gage versus the Beastie Boys. Mashup Breakdown has the last two Girl Talk albums streaming for free, with real-time breakdowns of what musical elements are where. Hell of a way to discover new music.

Internet Stuff: Too much to list, but this crossover needs to be made:

Supes_Doctor_Trippe.jpg

I was afraid to even reply in this thread for fear of leaving something out, but my kids are busy beating each other to death with pillows I dare not get in the middle of them.

Internet: I watched the entirety of The Guild this year and really liked it, though the move away from game-oriented humor and a move towards character oriented melodrama has me fearing what another season will bring.

JourneyQuest was also awesome, even if I am a little biased because of its production basically down the street from my old home in WA. Its semi-serious take on classic adventuring reminds me of a live action OoTS or Dorkness Rising, which is pure win IMO.

I also have really enjoyed a documentary series on youtube called, 'All Your History Are Belong To Us' which goes back on a certain game series or company and basically does a biography on it. Bioware, Castlevania, Resident Evil and Rockstar Games to name a few...well worth watching.

Topping all of it of course would be the "G33k and G4m3r Girls" video/song which I still love to watch and listen to.

TV: I watch lots of TV, but my short list of favorite programs include; House, The Event, Fringe, Simpsons, Bones, Burn Notice, V, CSI, Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Stargate: Universe (cry), The Office and of course, the big cherry on top...The Walking Dead.

Movies: I didn't get to see all I wanted to this year, but of the ones I did see, here were my favorites.

Inception, Toy Story 3, Paranormal Activity 2, Scott Pilgrim, Tangled, Get Him To The Greek, Lovely Bones, Resident Evil 4, Devil, and Easy A. There are others, but not ones I came out of the theater saying 'I want to see that again'.

I wanna throw a shout-out to my latest TV show obsession; Psych.

It's what Sherlock Holmes would have been, if Sherlock Holmes had been full of pop-culture references and AWESOME.

Ah yes - speaking of Sherlock Holmes, I can wholeheartedly recommend the "Sherlock" miniseries that aired earlier this year on the BBC and is now on DVD.

The premise is simple: it's Sherlock Holmes and Watson, set in the modern day. Not set in as in they travel through time, but set here as in "this is what Sherlock Holmes in modern London would be like." Doctor Watson, sadly still freshly wounded from a tour in Afghanistan, has a blog. Sherlock Holmes uses nicotine patches to concentrate and hates talking over the phone, preferring to text.

So far, okay - nothing to hook you, until the words "Stephen Moffat" come up.

Yeah. That Stephen Moffat. Much like Jekyll and the recent Doctor Who adaptation of A Christmas Carol, Moffat knows that you know the story, and is in fact counting on it so he can wrongfoot you, throw twists at you and generally make writing labyrinthine stories of the type suitable for Sherlock Holmes look like a stroll in the park.

... hmmm, according to the Wikipedia page, Moffat wrote the script for the first Tintin movie that Spielberg wants to do. Now there's a writer/director pairing for the ages...