Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RPG Post

RPG Post's 2010 Best Of: Character

11 posts in this topic

Who were your favorite characters on the site this year, excluding your own? What was the best thing that the characters did?

Well, it is little secret that I haven't been here most of this year in any capacity, but my favorite character is still an NPC run by Dawn in Dead Rising.

Cassandra. This character has made the game for Ira (me) and added another level of depthness that I continue to find surprising for a post-apocalyptic zombie game. The character's speech impediment particularly makes her enjoyable, as I myself have to attempt to decipher what she is saying before I can respond, and I appreciate the effort that goes into thinking out the 'Oracle-speak' for us readers.

A close runner up would have to be the Star Wars game as a whole, the writing is quite good. The noble brat is pretentious enough to make me want to punch her in the nose, the Padawans slightly aloof, but still showing the temptations of dark side behavior that one would expect in ones so young in the Force.

The soldier is like-wise engaging with his forceful attitude (if seemingly oblivious to his absent ship), and SG's R2 whose logical thought process is amusing and actions seem dead on from what one would expect of a droid.

And props to Dave for abolishing the stupid Rule of Two and some outstanding writing from many different personalities/races and sensible results from the enemies, even if it didn't favor the PCs.

Alright,

I think my vote goes to Necronaut of Mike's game the Unlikely Prophets. Necronaut's post constantly crack me up. He manages to post in a way that's both entertaining and drawing the fine balance between comedic relief and staying true to the general theme of the game (at least as far as I'm concerned).

It's less a specific action that I want to emphasize and instead his general way to participate in the game. Kudos to Necro (I'm Bodhie in that game, if you've been wondering), you make that game a lot more enjoyable for me. I always end up with a smile on my face after reading your posts. That's awesome in my book.

Centimane's Kazuo is my pick. Cent may not be around right now, but when he is, Kaz always makes me grin. He's such a freakin' asshole, but you end up liking him anyway. Cent carefully walks the line between utter jerk and someone with admirable aspirations, such as the more mature versions of Kaz's determination to protect his friends.

More than enjoying the PC, watching Cent craft a likeable asshole gave me the courage to try it with Ian and Isaac (I should add that Dave's depiction of Revenant in N!Prime and Forge's treatment of Vinny in SGU also taught me how to make the guy you love even when you hate him - specifically Vinny for Ian and Revenant/Primal for Isaac). That is the best thing that you can ask for in a PC - one that inspires you enough to try something you thought you'd hate.

I would name my favorite characters, as they have kept both my wife and I laughing (and some quotes have actually made their way into our RL's). But, as a ST, to name those as my favorite characters would be showing favoritism... so I won't.

On another note, I'm glad that Damon appreciates our work in SW, and I'm glad for my part in it.

I don't like to admit to having favourites, BUT I'd have to go with Catslayer, which is (I think) AtomicWeasel's character in the Stargaizer's EarthDawn campaign. He's a windling, but so far he's been portrayed hilariously, and has made me think more about how I do my own posts. For me, at least, it's over the top dialogue using fairly highbrow language that would do a modern day Dumas proud. I've literally laughed out loud several times while reading posts. Sometimes, they've come out more like howls or cackles, and have scared the bejesus out of my fiancee, but that's another story.

I'd have to say Livy in SGU, there hasn't been much going on there lately, but Carver put so much into that character that she definitely deserves props. Beyond that, there are a lot of great characters on the site and I'd be going all day if I started naming all the ones that have impressed me over the last year and if I try I know I'll end up forgetting some. smile

Well, ok, just one. Dec/Red. So much fun wrapped up in one psycho package.

Ryan in Dalton, for some of the best dialogue.

Ira from DR. True, he hasn't been hella active this year, but Ira's always fun to read. In a world filled with zombies, supers with issues, supers that want to rule the world, and supers that are trying to be Bond wink , Ira is a refreshing Everyman.

Favorite NPC currently goes to Simon in DR. I'm still trying to figure out whether he's super or mundane, good, selfish, or bad. I like puzzles.

Props also go to Asa this year for giving 200X a jump start.

Those are the few that stand out in my minds eye, for one reason or another. But there's a lot of cool characters out there in RPG-post land. And a lot of cool players who made them. Looking forward to the next year of shenanigans with you all. wink