Around the Web on December 3rd

RPG Post

Around the Web on December 3rd

"He hates these cans." Steve Martin is a funny guy. He is also a writer, composer, musician, director and all around educated guy with a new book about art, An Object of Beauty, recently out. But apparently it's the funny part people care about. The 92 Street Y in New York refunded money to people who attended an hour long interview with Martin, conducted by the NY Times Deborah Solomon, because Martin wasn't funny. It's a weird world, if not a wild and crazy one.

Suppose you wanting to make a good offer on a house, a great offer, a non refuseable offer .... The Godfather House is on the market. It is not cheap real-estate, but think of all the times you can make a joke about "an offer they couldn't refuse" when speaking of purchasing the house.

Other stuff around the Web.

[end_news_blurb]

I'm a sucker for found footage horror movies. I like it not to wobble so much I need Dramamine but Cannibal Holocaust, Man Bites Dog, REC, Cloverfield, even the Blair Witch all amuse me, which is mostly what I ask for in a movie. So not long after Paranormal Activity earned its fortune, a new movie entitled Grave Encounters is out. Reminds me a little of Session Nine crossed with Paranormal Activity and a touch of Othersiders (my son watches it.)

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but Archie McPhee offers brain flavored zombie mints. From the description: "This breath mint is guaranteed to make your mouth autopsy fresh...." Sure you can impress your friends, but would it distract a zombie?

Irvin Kershner died. One of Lucas's college instructors, Kershner was offered the job to direct The Empire Strikes Back because he wasn't "Hollywood." Lucas had the good sense to stay out of the way, hire one or two good writers--Leigh Brackett (there is much discussion as to what role she had) and Lawrence Kasdan-- and let Kershner create a great film.

Some comedians mention video games in their standup. But not necessarily to the depth of Dara O'Brian. It's a risky move when you're addressing a crowd of mixed folks (gamers and others) but he seems to pull it off well in this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85PwJ86_LBU&feature=player_embedded]NSFW clip. For an older clip of the dangers of missing romance, hot sweet love and videos games, this Tripod video is always worth a laugh.

Clicker has a graphic up of cultural icons being sorted by the Hogwart Sorting Hat. Costanza as a Slytherin?

Craig Ferguson, the talk show host no one seems to know, has a Dr. Who tribute video. If I stayed up late I would have to consider watching his show.

Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat? It was on CNN so it must be true.

NASA held a press conference yesterday about the search for life. With the discovery of bacteria that feed on arsenic, definitions of what life is, what it needs to exist and where it can exist have altered. Whether a complex life form could exist in the same atmosphere was not discussed.

Crafty Games has a video up on the RPG platform/social network, INFRNO. It allows you to enter gamer, character and game information and play tabletop RPGs online. It's not a new idea, but it does appear slick. You can learn more at the beta site.

It's been forever since I saw Robocop 2, is it as bad as memory tells me? And of course whom do we blame for it? I'm guessing Kershner did as much as he could with what he was given for a script, so that leaves Miller as the scriptwriter or the studio suits for interfering with the script that the writer wanted to write. I'm going to guess the latter more than the former but then again Miller seems to run hot & cold so who knows.

Archived