Aberrant RPG - Aberrant: Worldwide and other setting books

iamthedave

It says d20 on DriveThruRPG but it is wrong. As far as I know they never made any d20 books other than the core books for Trinity, Aberrant & Adventure!.

If you open the sample pages and look at the page size the pages are 7x10. All of the d10 books are 7x10. The d20 books are 8.5x11.

They don't have every book, but here is what they do have.

You can also get the real books used on Amazon. Here are the 2 that I know of that are missing from the list above.

Indeed turns out they are D10 on drive thru. How... strange...

Is Worldwide Phase 1 a good book? I know very little about it other than it's a scenario book and that a lot of people seem to hate it. I've certainly read plenty of comments expressing frustration at the plot involved.

I guess the real question is - is it worth getting?

If you are interested in running the adventures then it may be worth the money. I never ran them, so I really can't say for sure though. If you only want them for setting info then I'd say you should pass.

Here are some reviews from back in the day.

http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/65813/Aberrant_Worldwide_Phase_I.html

http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/65823/Aberrant_Worldwide_Phase_II.html

And here is another discussion.

http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1465/Aberrent_Worldwide.html

If you're going to roll your own, you might want to use a trigger model for your adventures: figure out where given pieces of information will be, and how they can be accessed, and what the consequences are for any of the likely actions the characters are likely to do, based on the motivations of the characters.

Sorry if that seems like common sense, but I've run into too many people who've gotten frustrated trying to run an Aberrant adventure (or a Trinity adventure for that matter) because the players wouldn't stay on the rails.

I think that goes for almost any RPG more complex than 'find it, kill it, loot it'. My long time GM friend likes to compare players to mountain goats. Give them an inch and they'll roam everywhere but the beaten path.

Could you expand on the 'trigger model'? Or is it just what you laid out there?

Originally Posted By: iamthedave
Indeed turns out they are D10 on drive thru. How... strange...

Is Worldwide Phase 1 a good book? I know very little about it other than it's a scenario book and that a lot of people seem to hate it. I've certainly read plenty of comments expressing frustration at the plot involved.

I guess the real question is - is it worth getting?

It gives you some good history as to what is going on in the Aberrant World, but if you really get into the details of it the stories really can be frustrating because it's very much along the lines of "The rules of character creation only apply to the players".

Quote:
...but I've run into too many people who've gotten frustrated trying to run an Aberrant adventure (or a Trinity adventure for that matter) because the players wouldn't stay on the rails.

Rails? What rails?

Seriously though, I strongly believe that the characters should be free to go off on any tangent that they choose.

I was running a Dark Sun game once in which half the party was supposed to get captured and sold in the slave market in Tyr and the other characters were supposed to work to free them. The halfling rogue was one of the free ones... during the slave auction the others in the party were bidding trying to buy the other characters. An NPC was bidding against them and was supposed to win. The halfling rogue used dimension door to pop out behind the NPC and stuck a dagger in his back ending the competition in the auction. I laughed my ass off and tossed the rest of the module out the window and let the characters proceed from there. Turned out a better adventure than the planned one.

Yeah... no plot survives contact with the players, is a maxim of my friend.

But still, I'm letting them go wild and hoping it'll turn into something good. I'll probably give Worldwide a miss then. I'm not using the aberrant setting much, really, just some of the tech ideas, basic atmosphere and the rules system.

Archived