Delightful Eeeeevilness!

Dawn OOC

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concept: Ultimate Corrupt Politician

Name: Marcus Allen Nicholson, Mayor of Brighton, England

Aliases: The Man

Crimes: Extortion, Blackmail, Tax Evasion, Racketeering, Smuggling ... basically any kind of white collar crime that a politician could commit, he's probably done it.

Signatures: Somehow, anyone who crosses The Man gets caught committing some of the most heinous crimes imaginable. Or they commit suicide, and the outstanding forensics department has yet to dispute a single one of these.

Known Abilities: Marcus is a quite gifted speaker in small groups, and has both a business and a law degree. People just seem to fall into line around him, following his lead and doing whatever he tells them to do.

Appearance: Tall, thin, and with sandy blond hair starting to thin a little bit, Mr. Nicholson looks almost like a sterotypical politician. Except that with his manner, it's more as though he's playing up the stereotype. Out in public, he's all wide, genuine smiles, open handshakes, and full of cheerful optimism. Only his closest associates and enemies ever see the iron fist inside his velvet glove.

Public History: Marcus Allen Nicholson was born on December 21, 2008. At the tender age of six years old, his parents were killed - collateral damage - during Clan Lord's royal-killing rampage. From there, he went into the foster care system for a few weeks before being placed with the family of a public bannister in Brighton. As a teenager, he voraciously studied the attacks of Clan Lord - and other super-villains who came into the public limelight after it - and set himself to studying business law like his adopted father. He double majored in both business and law, and practiced for a few years as a bannister himself. When his parents were killed during a " random" home invasion robbery, he took to the public media, crying out for justice. He ran for office a year later, gaining the Mayorship with a surprising ground-roots effort. Today, he's been the Mayor for nine years, publically supporting stronger police measures against super-villains - and touting his success that there hasn't been a single super-villain incident in his city since he was elected.

Less-than-Public History: Marcus is better known in the criminal underworld as The Man, an allusion to "The Man is holding us down." He has several perfectly legitimate false identities, which between them own nearly 25% of the commercial and residential property in Brighton. Surrounded by a loyal cadre of corrupt policemen, he runs several highly profitable criminal enterprises, taking a cut of everything that comes through the suburb south of London. He can control people's minds and emotions, and uses this to best effect when his non-super-hero enemies are found with perfectly legitimate, ironclad evidence of heinous crimes like snuff, child rape, or just die of sudden drug overdoses or suicides.

Nemesis: A public journalist, Calypso Lightman, has publically declared that she will "get the truth" on all the crimes she accuses Mayor Nicholson of. The list includes rackets such as arson, insurance fraud, smuggling, slander and libel, extortion, accepting bribes, giving bribes, and sexual harassment. (The last following an exchange between the two on the BBC news, when Marcus invited her to "Drop by my office and go through my drawers .")

Known Associates: Mayor Nicholson, naturally, is quite friendly with various political figures, and is regarded to have a very good chance at acquiring a seat in Parliament when the next election season comes. The Man has a cordial, if mutually-suspicious, relationship with Bathsheba; the two of them can agree that business does come first, and after all, someone has to handle the imports. Father McDonnell also has a business relationship, as The Man helps him acquire certain less-than-legal "luxuries." Xuada and The Man don't get along, though they're not exactly adversaries - the two tend to stay away from each other, as neither consider the other worth the effort of a confrontation. Other villains have heard of him, and possibly even dealt with him - you never can be sure when you're dealing with The Man.

BN, not a bad concept but the problem is that there have been super-villain incidents: I mentioned in the NPC post that Ritcher and Monster have had some terrible battles in public and Katana and Angel have had more fights (though less damaging). I'm not upset with the PC as is - I'm just pointing out that there will have been incidents and that they will be apparent to the public. There's just no way to hide when Monster slithers out of the sewers and causes $40 million in property damage and kills 18 people, as an example.

Hmm. BN's concept looks good. It has I notice, indicated a trend that does interest me a mite. Bloodmoney is of course a more direct type of villain.

What I get the sense is that BN and Max are running leadership and behind the scenes influence types, Darkling counts as the same to a lesser (but not inconsiderable) degree.

Star's matter man I have no real idea of, but he sounds much more brainy than combative. As far as I'm aware the only combat-likely submission other than mine is Crimson Fist.

Not anything directly worrying me of now, but it does mean PVP is generally going to be on different battlefields than Bloodmoney would be suited too. Of course, he could say damn it all and snipe Mr. Mayor Pants with nary a care or worry. laugh

Darkling has his direct blood-and-guts bits too, and this time around Shae is built much more for combat then before. Trust Dawn. She's a great ST and she won't leave players hanging just because they're a bit different from the main vanguard of PC's.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
There's just no way to hide when Monster slithers out of the sewers and causes $40 million in property damage and kills 18 people, as an example.
My writeup doesn't dispute that; my idea was that there have not been any of these incidents in his tiny suburb since he became Mayor. Mostly because that villains who cause trouble on other villain's turf tend to end up committing suicide-by-hero. And of course, even if there were incidents, there really weren't.

Originally Posted By: BlueNinja
Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
There's just no way to hide when Monster slithers out of the sewers and causes $40 million in property damage and kills 18 people, as an example.
My writeup doesn't dispute that; my idea was that there have not been any of these incidents in his tiny suburb since he became Mayor. Mostly because that villains who cause trouble on other villain's turf tend to end up committing suicide-by-hero. And of course, even if there were incidents, there really weren't.

Until one of us PCs gets pissed off at the Mayor or the Man, (possibly) puts two and two together, and makes a public example of Mayor Pants because we can. firedevil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently, I have complete submissions from:

Mask (Max)

Darkling (Ravi)

Bloodmoney (Jeremy)

Shae Mansfield (Mala)

Currently, I have submissions in process from:

Arisa Yamakazi (Long)

(If you have questions on why you are on the second list, please see your PMs.)

Because I have fewer complete submissions (5) than slots (7), at this point, I have five players. If you are still interested, get your PC to me. I know at least one person who has promised by this weekend. At this point, this is what I have.

Mask (Max)

Darkling (Ravi)

Bloodmoney (Jeremy)

Shae Mansfield (Mala)

Arisa Yamakazi (Long)

Edward Mansfield (Shana)

You guys are approved. Post your threads; you have the freedom to be evil and as I've said from the start, I'm reacting to what is happening. So go make stuff happen. It can be as simple as you're at a party or as complex as you're staging a heist of some sort.

Post them in the Games subforum with the [Evil] tag so we can track them.

Questions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just put up a post in Evil titled "For Want of Power: Not to be Missed". The Mansfields are throwing a gala - reason to be announced at said gala - and this thread is open to just about everyone who has a reason and/or ability to show up. If you're anyone in society, you've received an invitation. If you're anyone in politics or business, you've received an invitation. If you're not, Edward may have hired you for security for the event (Bloodmoney, you would have been approached, if you want to participate). Or perhaps you have your own way of getting in undetected. Just pop on in, it's an open thread folks. laugh

Originally Posted By: Edward Mansfield
I just put up a post in Evil titled "For Want of Power: Not to be Missed". The Mansfields are throwing a gala - reason to be announced at said gala - and this thread is open to just about everyone who has a reason and/or ability to show up. If you're anyone in society, you've received an invitation. If you're anyone in politics or business, you've received an invitation. If you're not, Edward may have hired you for security for the event (Bloodmoney, you would have been approached, if you want to participate). Or perhaps you have your own way of getting in undetected. Just pop on in, it's an open thread folks. laugh

Certainly, I would like to participate. I just want to clarify a few things for the benefit of you guys and myself. Bloodmoney is a super-villain now and hard to reach, but he naturally still has at least a few contacts left in the mercenary work he left behind. So either Edward got BM through the right people (definitely plausible from the vibe I'm getting) or this is through the Covenant network (Villain to Villain, equally plausible).

So questions:
1. Which way did you take in the hiring process?
2. Is this job of being among the security, or head of security for the event?
3. What would Bloodmoney know about the Mansfields (Public-wise, Villain-wise)? He has the Library equivalent in his HQ so he can meet DC 20s for the appropriate knowledge checks, in a relative sense, just fyi.

The price? Depends on how you answer the questions, but there's a likelihood to be non-monetary in nature.

Tomas - Not unless you figure out a way to show up not looking like yourself, because you don't want to be left out of the party. :evil: You just all agreed that you couldn't be SEEN at Edward's event.

Mel - Good questions. First off, is Bloodmoney a recognizable super-villain at this point? Like, do you have a costume, or do people know your face? That may influence the situation a bit, or what you've been asked to do. I know we don't have actual character threads just yet so I wasn't sure how to reference back.

Oh, he's got a mask and costume. He's not one of those named, major villains, but he's recognizable as one, provided ye have the mask and costume to go by. I think his face and true identity is pretty much been separated from the villain that people know about, which is beneficial in this case, I would think.

Max - I'd say yes. Edward wants as many powers that be and potential powers that be there, so corporate lo...high-lifes would certainly be invited as well. You could always come as someone's +1.

Tomas could always come as a mysterious masked stranger. :evil: Shae's already in Regency-era clothes, they can both have decided to make it costume ball for at least the two of them. laugh

Okay... first of all, to answer Max's question, Mala is correct. In fact you'll probably have lots of people to mingle with.. Edward is a business man and philanthropist who is becoming well known amongst that part of society. Many of their fellows will be attending.

As far as your questions, Mel, I have one last question for you and Tomas before I can answer and then I'll PM you tomorrow. Have Bloodmoney and Darkling interacted in the past? You've heard of each other no doubt but how Edward approaches you will depend on your history or lack thereof with Darkling.

I would suggest that they're neutral towards one another at the commencement of the game. Darkling hasn't thus far really had need of superpowered mercenaries - not with his shrieking hordes and the assistance of his Family, so has probably only briefly met BM, probably at the fallen priest's soirees or while BM was bodyguarding some villain who wanted to meet with Darkling.

What do you think, Jer?

That sounds reasonable, though there is one thing I want to add. Just as the lower-tier villains positively are frightened of Darkling, Bloodmoney has them scared to a similar extent. If they were at the same party, Darkling would have seen the uppity Glacia try to pester Bloodmoney and suggest that she was better than him. BM ignored her, up until as he was eating, she started to get frustrated at being ignored, and he responded, "I'm not your mother, nina." (She was presumed to be Spanish)

At that point, she attempts to attack him with an ice punch, but while sitting down, Bloodmoney catches her arm, pulls her down to his level, puts down his fork... and suffice it to say, killed her with a punch. It's the only incident to be known, but it freaks the lesser villains out. Just a detail to mention for edification.

But yeah, neutrality is their current stance I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

The following is some general, well-known info about Edward Mansfield for anyone who will be interacting with him.

Edward has been in the business world about 20 years or so now, and has become a bit of a public figure within London and the Archology within the last ten years. By that time he was already married to a beautiful woman of Asian heritage named Saori. The couple had two children, around a year apart in age. The youngest was a girl, the older a boy. (The position of the boy is open, by the way, if anyone wants to pick up the role at some point. OOC, all that has been determined about him is that he went the villain route and is off doing his own thing and not interfering in Mummy and Daddy's schemes at the moment, like a good/bad boy). The boy is known to be off at college and living his own life by now, but about a year ago, there was some sort of rift in the family, and their daughter is known to be estranged. Rumor is that she is currently living with her Uncle Michael Mansfield, founder of a private boarding school, with whom Edward is also estranged. Michael has also drawn a bit of attention lately - it's public knowledge that his son Scott has been missing for the last several months, though Michael and his wife Natalie have been fairly quiet about the situation.

It is unknown how old the Mansfield brothers are, although like Hollywood movie stars, they seem to remain vibrant and age-defying. Michael appears a bit older than his twin brother Edward, though common consensus is that life has been a bit kinder to the well-known businessman and philanthropist, and whatever stress Michael may have been through is the cause of his slightly more aged appearance.

To anyone acquainted with the villanous underbelly, the Mansfields are well-known as the Dark Prince's tools in the outside world. Whether they serve at their own will or at Tomas' command no one knows for certain, nor the extent of their powers (if they possess any).

Hopefully this will give folks enough information to inject themselves into the "For Want of Power" thread. If anyone has any questions about Edward, Saori, Shae, or Tomas, feel free to let any of the four of us know. We'd love to get some people in this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

I would beg to differ, Edward. If you think about it, most people have been posting. laugh

Because, technically Mel and the quartet are the majority of approved players right now. And there's ways to go it with just us you know.

So consider this a poke to Max and Long: If you're still interested, let us know. If you aren't, let us know and accept these bomb-berry pies...

I mean, blueberry pies. wink

No worries, guys - I'll keep going with Evil! so long as I have players. Hell, with just one player, I can keep the game going, albeit only here, in the Games subfolder.

Long, Max, if you aren't interested anymore, please let us know. smile

If I wasn't, I'd have said something.

This is a challenging game concept for me, and it's hard to get into character...especially with all the other, more conventional, posting I have to do at any given moment.

So I apologize for taking time on this. If it's excessive, and you guys would rather I withdrew, I'll understand.

I honestly didn't realize there was a time crunch, since no one else was posting either. It's not like I'm being left behind or anything.

Anyway, I know better now.

I'm holding off on Darkling attending the party because he'll be mingling in disguise and not standing out from the crowd, for obvious reasons. Hence I'm hanging back and letting everyone get their game on. smile

As for Per Tenebrae, I'll post something there at some point soon if Dawn or Mala have nothing to add. grin

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
So I apologize for taking time on this. If it's excessive, and you guys would rather I withdrew, I'll understand.

I honestly didn't realize there was a time crunch, since no one else was posting either. It's not like I'm being left behind or anything.

Anyway, I know better now.

There is no super-hard time crunch. I am content to follow along at your guys' pace. Your confirmation that you're continuing in the game is enough for me to consider you still involved. smile

Archived