RPG Post Online Dice Script

87 posts in this topic

Not sure why I posted an image when I can just do this:

[roll]10d10[/roll]

[roll]1d20+10[/roll]

[roll]1d20[/roll]

[roll]10d10[/roll]

*sigh* I'm doing it wrong

I haven't given permission for anyone else to do it yet. It isn't ready for active use yet.

I enabled them for storytellers. This is a very, very early version of the code. I was really just working on this version as a capability study to see if I could do it. Now I'll have to start from scratch and make it actually usable. Since it was something that existed previously and is now missing I wanted to share it.

I am still trying to decide if I should go down this road or modify the existing one. I may end up doing both, I'm not sure.

No one can officially use this yet. It isn't finished. A storyteller wanted to try it out so I let him. When it is finished everyone will be able to use it.

And for the record I will probably finish updating the old dice program, even if it won't look pretty, before I finish the fully integrated version.

The script is easy enough to use, but I have a question (or two). Since sometimes rolls beget additional rolls, i.e. popping 10s in nWoD, is there a way to force the roller to roll prior to posting so that one can add additional rolls as needed without editing? Will rolls be logged somewhere to prevent cheating by way of editing a post to remove the roll?

I can create as many rollers as needed with specific rules for individual games. The codes would change so that roll may become wodroll or mmroll.

I do plan on integrating it into an external dice page to eliminate any potential for cheating. There are a bunch of things that I want to try to do with this, I just have no idea how long it will take me.

I have the old dice partially working again. Not enough to show anyone, but at least far enough along so that I can see everything. I need to hook up the users & forums and then get them into the skin. I'll also need to convert all of the existing data to match the new member and forum numbers.

I am going to put a dice link in the top menu when I get to a certain point so that people can start using it again. I'm not sure if I'll put links in the forums or not. That may depend on the progress with the in post dice rolling.

The dice backend programming has been completed for the first game, which is Scion. The output is all kinds of ugly, but the code works. I still need to integrate the validation and fix a few other issues, but I think it is downhill from here with this version of the dice.

I also have all the user and forum info updated to match the new system.

it does look nice and I can't wait unitl you're finished with it :)

Did we just catch Asa double rolling something? >.> heh

I just finished my first pass through the converted dice. I still have to do the validation and clean up a few areas but the dice at least work.

I am waiting for a the forum developers to fix a bug with naming external content before I add the link and update the existing rolls.

Do people like the dice results pasted into the forum to be hidden in spoiler areas or would you prefer if they were visible in a quote box?

I think a result+link is good enough. I usually hide mine, but others do not, and I always added more text to the spoiler box anyways (multiple rolls, results of the rolls, etc.)

I'd prefer hidden, but I'd honestly really prefer if we could just copy and paste the results rather than having to deal with extra code. Particularly for STs who have to do a number of rolls, you (with the old system) either had to have a dozen or more spoiler boxes or edit the code yourself. It would be a lot easier to type in bracket-spoiler (or quote) -bracket and it's closing code than have to edit each and every roll. That's just my opinion. :)

That works for me. I updated the code to remove the spoiler boxes. The dice link is now in the main menu.

I am going to be working on the generic dice roller soon and need some help figuring out how to set things up and what "rules" to offer. I can do all of the programming but I want to make sure that it is as inclusive as possible for any possible game.

To start I need to figure out each type of roll that is possible. Here is a list to get us going.

• add xDy where x is the number of times to roll y dice and all dice are added
  • add xDy+z where x is the number of times to roll y dice and all dice are added plus the value of z
  • target xDy(z) where x is the number of times to roll y dice and all results above z are considered successes
  • target+bonus xDy(z)w=v where x is the number of times to roll y dice and all results above z are considered successes and all rolls of w and above count as v successes

If you add a roll please give me an example just to make sure that I understand how it will work.

Hero Point

1D20+z(h) = roll a d20 and add z, if the result of the d20 is 1-10, add 10 to the result. This should clearly demark the difference between a roll of 20+5 and 10(+10)+5, where the former is a Critical and the latter is not.

Popping Dice

xDy(open.z) where dice with a result of z or higher are rolled again as bonus dice

Are people comfortable with writing string commands like on other sites or would it be helpful to have multiple choices to configure your roll?

Let me ask a more basic question. How many people here are actually interested in a general purpose dice script?

The chat dice roller does the job for me. The only thing it can't do is multiple rolls (e.g. roll 1d20+5 5 times, or 3d6 8 times). That said I am still fine with the chat dice roller.

Edit: 2 posts to go!

There are multiple new options for the chat dice roller. Ask someone in chat for details.

/succ xdyez rolls X dice of y sides and counts successes of z or higher

/succ xdyfz rolls X dice of y sides and counts successes of z or higher and then subtracts 1s

/succ xdysz rolls X dice of y sides and counts successes of z or higher, rerolls max results, AND subtracts 1s

/mm +x rolls a d20 and adds x

/mm -x rolls a d20 and subtracts x

/mm +xdcy rolls a dc, adds x and compares to the DC y

/mm +xhp rolls a d20, adds x and grants +10 if the d20 was 10 or lower (i.e. a hero point reroll)

/mm +xdcyhp rolls a d20, adds x, compares to DC y, and treats as a Hero Point reroll

Edit: OH SNAP 4000!

When you get a chance, can we maybe get a command to pop max rolls without subtracting 1s, and another to set the pop threshold? I know nWoD has stuff where you pop 9s or even 8s and not just 10s.

It will probably be a week or two before I can get started on the additions.

One possible add-on that could be useful is one where mega attributes can be factored in like...

/succ 10d10m5e7

Where 10 d10 normal dice are rolled, and 5 mega dice of the same sides (d10) is rolled as well, with a success threshold of 7+

I am going to be changing the syntax around some so that instead of using a base character to set up the rules you will just add modifiers to it. For example t will be the target number. M will be for megas. R will be for reroll number or pop number which will default to the max. B will be for botch number with 1 being the default. This way I can more easily add specific rules and you can choose which ones you want to apply.

/succ 10d10t8rb will be the same as what is currently the s syntax. It may require an extra character or two to base rolls but you will have complete control over every possible modifier. This way you can mix and match to whatever rules you want to use. The syntax as listed could be changed to /succ 10d10t8r9b3+2 so that you roll 10 10 siders with a target of 8 and all results of 9 or 10 will be rerolled and all results of 3 or lower will subtract successes. And you will also get 2 auto successes.

You may not need to use all the modifiers but the goal is to have them be easily identifiable

1 person likes this

I will be posting from my phone or tablet for the next week so dont expect detailed posts.

Anyway, the goal is for the modifiers to be easily identifiable and customizable. I will be putting defaults on everything possible. Hopefully this will take care of the base rules for most games and offer options for house rules.

Let me know if there are any other dice rules that are needed.