Matt

RPG Post Online Dice Script

87 posts in this topic

We are currently performing a public beta test for our custom dice script. Scion RPG: StarGate Atlantis and Mutants & Masterminds RPG: The Indigo Children are the first to games to participate in the beta test. If any other M&M Storytellers are willing to help test it using their games please respond and I'll add it to your forum.

So I went to the dice roller through the link in the Indigo forum and it brought up the scion roller. I then went from the Dice "forum" to the Indigo roller and got the d20 roller. It worked but on the results page I saw my roll that was in the scion roller show up as a broken d20 roll.

Thanks for testing that. The link has been fixed so the problem won't work like that.

I need to add a lot more error checking options on the backend to make sure that something like that can't happen in the future.

Is there a way to logic check the result such that if the roll meets or beats the DC it says pass or shows in green and if it doesn't meet it it says fail or shows in red? That might be a nice feature, not required by any means though.

Ok, it is color coded for PASS/FAIL. I have it so that it says PASS or FAIL in what you copy into the forums but only show the color on the other screens.

I have the first version of the Trinity Universe dice script completed if any STs are willing to test it.

Well, I'm not a storyteller right now, but I'm hoping things will shake out so that I can start a Trinity game some time in the new year. I wouldn't mind poking at it, if you're okay with that?

If people would like to test out the dice script for either the Mutants and Masterminds or Trinity Universe please follow the links below.

You have to be signed into the forums to be able to actually roll the dice. This is still in beta so it isn't 100% finished. Any and all constructive feedback is appreciated, from letting me know something doesn't work right or how you would expect to ideas to improve it.

Just tried out the Trinity Universe Dice Roller and thought of something - Would it be possible to add a line with a box you can tick off that represents if a Quality for an Attribute applies? If you have an applicable Quality, you get to re-roll 10s.

Thanks for the feedback. The Attribute Quality option is available now.

I haven't dealt a lot with Trinity, but I know that in Abby sometimes there is a modifier to the difficulty (such as a +2diff to use an EA/EM power that you're not proficient in), so to have that option would be helpful.

Secondly, the line that says '# of Dice Modifier:', it doesn't actually seem to modify the number of dice you roll so much as it just lops of that many successes. I don't know if that's intentional or not.

It looks really good, and this is very sweet. Keep up the good work Chosen.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I don't really have a "success" in the Trinity Universe version, so I haven't done anything with a need for difficulty modifiers. In the initial discussion in chat it was suggested to keep it out and just add it in the description. If that is needed I can add that.

The modifier is just an add or subtraction from the successes. Damage and Armor Adds would use the modifier, or any anything that does automatic successes + a roll.

I need to add instruction so that it all makes sense to anyone that uses it. I'm hoping that the feedback I get from here will help me resolve any issues and then help provide the insight into what is needed to make the dice usable by as many people as possible.

Ok, makes sense now. And again, I'm coming from an Abby background, not Trinity.

So, looks good.

Chosen I stumbled on a "bug" in the M&M roller this morning. When the roll plus bonuses is equal to the DC of the roll (when there is one) the result of "0" is reported as a Fail, this should be a Pass however.

Otherwise this is working well IMO.

Ok, thanks for noticing that. I had it as >= in the rest of the spots but in that one I only had >. It is now fixed and reporting the success properly.

Noticed one thing for the M&M Roller. When you use a Hero Point to reroll, on a result of 1-10 on the die, you add 10, 11-20 remain as is. Not sure if you can make a box we can check of, indicating that a roll is a Hero Point reroll or if there is a better way of doing this.

Ok, I am working on the Mutants and Masterminds dice script to include the option for Hero Points. I won't change any of the existing posts to include them.

Okay, I noticed a few things that might help with the Dice Roller. Is it possible to have the Rice Roller option appear when we're righting a reply on the Full Reply page? (I only ever notice the Roll Dice/View Results Options when on the front page of a Forum that is beta-testing it).

Next, would it be possible to add the Description we right for our roll into the heading for the roll instead of simply having 'Roll:'? That way, people could see what the roll is for without having to click on the link or the player needing to add the description him or herself in the spoiler.

As I'm a coding noob, I have no idea if doing something like this is a difficult change or not, just adding my two cents for what I looked for in a Dice Roller (admittedly Invisible Castle is a large influence).

Thanks for the feedback.

Adding the role dice/view results to the reply page is not an option at this point in time. Hopefully I will be able to better integrate it in the future.

I can add the description. Hopefully that will be done in a couple days.

If anyone would like to integrate the dice into their games just let me know. If I don't have it set up for your game system I'll be happy to do so provided that you help me understand the rules.

I originally started with a generic roller and I may add that back in so that people can use it for anything else they may need.

Originally Posted By: Tiresias
Would it be possible to add the Description we right for our roll into the heading?

I set it up so that the description is in the spoiler title area. It looks like this:

Click to reveal.. (Description Goes Here)
This is where the roll specifics are contained.

Sorry, I am all out of punch and pie.

The script seems to be producing an extra set of brackets in the result that is messing up the result when pasted into a post when there is a PASS with a circumstance modifier.

The open bracket after 'Roll:' and the closing bracket after the roll result and its 'bold' code is what seems to be doing it, if you take them out, you get this.

Fails seem to be fine

Sam, I didn't respond earlier but I believe the error is fixed.

I updated results pages slightly. Some browsers block people from copying content so I did not originally program for that.

I now have it so that the text is in a field and once you click in the field it will automatically select the entire code. This won't drastically change things but it should cut down on potential error from not copying the beginning or end of the code and getting random results when you paste it. You still need to manually copy the text though.

I have added the dice script to the top of the main forum for all Aberrant and Mutants and Masterminds games. You don't have to use them but they are available if needed.

If people running other games would like custom dice for their games just let me know and I'll be happy to work with you to create the custom dice for the game. I do all the programming, but I do need people that understand how they should best work.

I also have my original generic non game specific dice that I will finish after the site update so that people can use the dice for any purpose.

I would say something about my ED game, but the dice rolls for that are probably about as complex as can be (each step has a different set of dice to use, and it uses all the dice from d4 to d20).

So no, I'm good.

Oh, and is there any way that you can make the dice roller in FI like me a bit more (or maybe it was just that one scene that it hated me in...)?

In all seriousness, I've noticed that it tends to have a short streak of good rolls followed by a short streak of bad rolls, at least lately. I don't know if that's just luck (probability says it's gotta happen sooner or later) or some artifact of the coding method (I know true random number generators are extremely difficult). Just thought that I'd bring that observation to your attention.

On closer inspection, it seems as though it just seems to be that way, especially more recently. I withdraw my last comment.

When we update the site later this year we will have some options that we do not currently have. The dice will be one of the areas that will take some time to convert, but they will ultimately be better integrated into the site.

The current dice script is uniquely set up for each game. My question is which do you like better, unique per game or generic but usable anywhere on the site? Should I keep going in the current direction or integrate something closer to IC?

Honestly, so long as we can easy reach the roller from each game's forum, I see this has six one way or half a dozen another. I wish I could say exactly, but my personal opinion wavers between the two. I love IC, but the unique for games makes it a lot easier.

After typing that, I think I have decided: in games like Abby, it makes it easier to track megas. I vote unique.