Aberrant RPG - Aeon rises from the ashes.

Trollroot

WW's President said the following at GenCon, "As for Adventure, you will see that again."

And Andrew Bates added the following at the above link.

"You will see Adventure, Aberrant and Trinity again in 2004. Folks who were central to those lines' initial design are involved (including yours truly).

Our focus is on the whole Time of Judgment deal right now, so I don't have the formal announcement together yet. I should have a detailed press release within the next few months."

As much as I want to believe it, this is a rather rapid turnaround for the folks at WW. I'll believe it when I see the press release.

Naturally, this still means I'm excited, but this much good news in a week strikes me as, I dunno, off kilter. I'm just saying to people wait until there is irrefutable word before planning your 2004 purchases...

1: That Andrew Bates fellow on that board is a first post poster. So was Trollroot. Suspicious? Hell Yeah.

2: It's on a subject near and dear to my and most everyone's hearts here. Namely the Aeoniverse.

3: Rumormongering always follows a Gencon or Origins.

4: The name "Trollroot"... sounds suspicious. Sets off my sailor-senses... err... spidey senses... yeah.

5: I'm waiting for transcripts on anything dealing with this. Or even a word or two from the wolf's den. (Please, WW, Practice swift rumor control! Guardians of Order kaboshes stuff like this if it's false or true. Immediately. It's called defending and protecting a license.)

6: Yep, I'm a doubting Thomas. But, I am named Thomas. So, it comes with the gimmick... At least when I'm not Sakurako... >.<

You DO know that it is actually possible to read the White Wolf forums for yourself, and judge based on the matter there, right? That was kind of why I provided the thread names for you.

Unless you feel better not bothering to get any information before posting, of course.

As for the rest, you'll have to make up your own minds, that is the point of giving you the references instead of making a blanket statement.

Just to add some background, JdRavnos have been posting at White Wolf for at least a year that I remember, and so have BaniManita.

My personal opinion is that the remark on Adventure! seems to be solid. The one on Aberrant and Trinity is a bit more iffy. I just haven't seen Andrew Bates post much on any board.

Also, they were allowed to make Brainwaves public.

So if true this must be a very recent desicion. Still, I prefer to believe that the recent success on thematically related movies have persuaded them to try again. In the absence of evidence to the contrary.

For the threads, go to http://www.white-wolf.com Click on "interactive" on the sidebar, then "Forums". Then click "Read-Only Here" on the main screen. Or register. Then go to "The Trinity Universe"

There may be some way to link directly, but I don't know how.

Edited to add the path to the threads and clarity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako 'Endeavor' Hino:
1: That Andrew Bates fellow on that board is a first post poster. So was Trollroot. Suspicious? Hell Yeah.
3: Rumormongering always follows a Gencon or Origins.
4: The name "Trollroot"... sounds suspicious. Sets off my sailor-senses... err... spidey senses... yeah.
There are things on the internet that are suspicious and possibly untruthful? laugh Nothing that has been posted means anything substancial to us. Even if what has been posted is 100% truthful doesn't mean that we will get any new books. A press release still doesn't mean that other factors couldn't come up and derail the production of something new for us. Until people have it in their hands, everything is vaporware.

Deird're Brooks said she believed that it was Andrew on the mailing list. Granted that doesn't mean it is him. Bates did post regularly on the mailing list when Trinity was still going, but didn't post on WW's site.

I don't know if this is legit or not. My opinion is that the worst that can come out of this is that the words Aberrant, Aeon, Trinity & Adventure all get some posts that they wouldn't have before, and maybe someone new to the game will see one of those posts and consider checking out the game. And if nothing else, at least we get some hope for a little while. If it is true and we just get Nexus out of it, I'll be happy.

1: What is "Nexus"?

2: As for hope, I'm not holding my breath. Unlike some, I don't like putting my faith into anything unless it's a sure fire bet.

And, I don't feel like bugging someone unless it's VERY important. I'm sure the WW guys have more pressing matters than answering a fanboy's questions on a game line that's supposedly "discontinued".

So, I'll just wait for THEM to say so. Untill then, I hope something is said soon.

I just wish things had more certainty. I always like a modicum of rumor control.

Chosen said on another thread:

Endeavor, Trollroot hasn't claimed knowledge of top secret

information. Trollroot just simply pointed to a thread that said

something encouraging about the Aeon Universe. It's your choice

whether you believe the info or not, but give Trollroot a break.

Chosen, I really didn't mean to sound like I was on a warpath, I just don't have tolerance for any potential trolling of this board. I have seen this happen elsewhere, and I do not wish to see this place turn into AICN or some other furums and BBSs that I'm a member of. Lately there has been a troll infestation on several boards that I've had to suffer through.

If I have been harsh, I had my reasons. So, I'm now officially backing off and ignoring this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trollroot:
You DO know that it is actually possible to read the White Wolf forums for yourself, and judge based on the matter there, right? That was kind of why I provided the thread names for you.
That's not enough evidence for me. That, my friend, could be just about anyone making that announcement. As I said, while this news brings me hope, I can't just accept this. I've learned my lesson many times over - Message boards are useful information sources, but you must always be suspect of such knowledge.

Now, if this announcement happened to be on the front of WW's website, well, then I'd be breaking out the party poppers, but I'm not going to get giddy until there is official word from WW management (or in lieu of that, official word from an alternate enterprise that is liscencing Aeon and recreating it themselves).

Quote:
My personal opinion is that the remark on Adventure! seems to be solid. The one on Aberrant and Trinity is a bit more iffy. I just haven't seen Andrew Bates post much on any board.
I hope very much that this is so. Very much so. If it's another company instead of WW, I'd be even more giddy, because then we'd get the chance for second editions, something the Trinity and Aberrant lines desperately need. But I want confirmation from someone official before I get into party mode...

Trollroot is a common poster over on the WW Abby forum. I don't think he is trolling, although he might be wrong since all the info we have right now is he said he said.

SF is really big right now. WW seems to have put their various legal problems behind them. I could see it.

Put another way, if WW were to launch another game in the current environment, comics and/or SF would be a good choice.

And having said all that, basically what we have here is a really well supported rumor.

My apologies, the terminal I use for checking my e-mail and such is ill equipped for viewing WW's forums. (In other words, it can't)

It's just alot of things came up that set off MANY alarms in my head, and I shot first, asked questions later.

Yes, everything SEEMS in place for a comeback, but then again, I could, using evidence, place myself at the grassy knoll on November 22, 1963. Although I was born some 14 years later.

Any theory can be substantiated with coincidental evidence.

Quite frankly I would like nothing more than to have Aberrant and it's fellow games get a new lease on life.

I'm just one that isn't going to sell the farm on a possibility that right now is, as someone here put it, Vaporware.

Well, I just registered to share the possibility of good news.

Apologies for the double post, after making the first one, I noticed that the board I was posting on didn't seem to be highly active, so I took it to a board that seemed more frequently visited.

The matter of Andrew Bates posting on rpg.net was metioned by Bruce Baugh in his livejournal:

http://bruceb.livejournal.com/

Personal speculation follows:

I suspect that there is a bigger profit-margin on a hardcover book than there is on a softcover.

Now, the bestselling book in a game line should be the corebook. Supplements, while nice, are less essential, and will appeal to different tastes. And the majority of sales on corebooks should be in the months following the initial release.

So, if WWs biggest profit is from the release of new, harcover corebooks, this would explain the move from the WoD line to Orpheus-like limited game lines.

As we were told when the desicion to discontinue Aeon was communicated to us: Which is the most profitable way to employ the writers?

More corebooks per time unit. Even if each separate game sells less that the previous big names, the release-volume should ensure a nice jump in profits.

Now what puzzles me on this matter is how Brainwaves happened. If they had any plans of restarting, I can't see anyone getting permission to make the material available for free.

So if they are considering more products it could be a recent desicion. Perhaps all the similar-themed movies made them reconsider.

Or maybe they just spotted a hole in their work-schedules for a few writers and thought of Aeon.

After all, it has to be less work to rework the first editions and repackage them in new hardcovers than to write up a game from scrach?

Personal speculation ends.

Brainwaves was made during a time when it was assumed that the Aeoniverse was a dead game line. Most likely, the PDF will remain free, as a "gift" to all the Aberrant fans. Sometimes failed or discontinued material ends up like this. I just think that, if there is an Aeon Comeback, the Brainwaves PDF is a relic of a dark time for the line.

Thanks for some of the leg work BTW.

Just saw this over on WW

Quote:
Subject: Aeon Reborn!

ab8s - 07/31/2003 15:47:37

Hey, folks,

I hadn't planned on saying anything on RPG.net; just responded to the

post. Then I got caught up in follow-up. Honestly, never occurred to me

to pop on here, too. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I can confirm what I said elsewhere, but we're not ready to

make a formal, detailed announcement yet. (In large part, by "we" I mean

"me," and I'm crazy busy with deadlines right now.)

Please be patient, though; we'll have an announcement together in the

near future.

Bates

Sword & Sorcery Managing Editor

Occasional Aeonverse Dude

And another quote:

Quote:
Subject: Aeon Reborn!

ab8s - 08/08/2003 09:42:27

I'm certainly most interested in Adventure, but that's a

personal bias (I just enjoy that genre the most). I had no

involvement with Aberrant past the initial design stage

(well, and that bit in the Aberrant PG). While I was lead

designer and developed Trinity through most of its life,

it's been years since I've looked at it in depth. Not to

mention that there's a sizable body of work to wade

through.

Adventure is freshest in my mind, as well as being the

closest in execution to my original design vision. (It's

almost exactly what I'd had in mind ever since we first

planned the Aeon Continuum, thanks in no small part

to tremendous work by the writers, artists, and co-

developer Bruce Baugh.)

All that being said, the releases planned for next year

will focus equally on each setting time frame. Just what

that means will become clear when we make the formal

announcement.

(As far as maintaining any of the lines are concerned,

it's the same as always: if they sell, we'll make more.

We'd love to keep publishing for the few hundred very

loyal Adventure/Aberrant/Trinity fans out there, but

that's just not financially viable. Gotta go with what the

market will support, y'know?)

Bates

Sword & Sorcery Managing Editor

Aeon Continuum Dude

So, from what I gather from that...

Adventure! is getting the largest attention for a little while, while Aberrant and Trinity get more "window dressing" material.

What I mean by window dressing, is that the material coming out for it is more for game rules and what not and not for world depth.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako 'Endeavor' Hino:
So, from what I gather from that...

Adventure! is getting the largest attention for a little while, while Aberrant and Trinity get more "window dressing" material.

What I mean by window dressing, is that the material coming out for it is more for game rules and what not and not for world depth.
How is this a problem to you? From what I understand you've never bothered to collect much in the way of the world depth releases that had been made. Especially considering the light in which you seem to view canon. I would have thought rules heavy stuff would have been the cat's meow as far as you were concerned.

Archived