Captain America

jameson (ST)

ExCUSe me mister movie producer but because Captain America's shield is made from a unique alloy of Wakandan vibranium which is not the same as Antarctic vibranium and adamantium which is the same material that Wolverine's unbreakable skeleton and claws are made from it is impossible I say IMPOSSIBLE for there to be scuffs and dings in it so therefore I have prejudged your movie as worthless and will not see it, especially not with my girlfriend who totally exists, honest.

Seriously though. I didn't think Evans could quite pull off the All-American guy look but he looks like he's got it down pat. Yeah, the pose looks stiff but he's the prototypical "greatest generation army guy" and they always look like that.

I'll be honest, I'm already giving Evans a thumbs down as Captain America. However, I will watch the movie and give the film a chance and I may change my opinion (after all, I went in expecting the new Star Trek to suck because I was sick of what "Bermaga" had done to the franchise, but that's a different topic).

I guess my problem with Evans is that I figure he already starred in a Marvel franchise...twice...and guess what, the FF movies SUCKED.

Of course, that's just my opinion, so it's really not worth much. But the way I see it, Evans has to get rid of the curse the FF movies and I don't see him doing it.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
And I'm hoping that is just scuffed paint rather than actual dings or scratches, because otherwise you would be right Mike.

I was actually lampooning detail-obsessed nerds more than anything. Maybe that's not the indestructible shield. Or maybe having an indestructible shield isn't that important. smile

Meh. I'm afraid to get my hopes up, lest they be dashed. And, yes, this crosseyed-where's the loo-hey aren't you Johnny Storm picture doesn't give me much hope. But, I will still go see it, and wish and wish.

Honestly, Chris Evans is an actor who doesn't get enough credit. I know that "best part of the Fantastic Four movies" is damnation with faint praise, but it's still true. He was great in The Losers. He was phenomenal in Scott Pilgrim. I don't see anything on this cover that doesn't say "Captain America," even the bit about the Hobbit. (Frodo will pack a magic shield and kick ass while wearing a flag in the film.)

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull?

Okay...that would be interesting. Although, I can almost picture the Red Skull putting on a pair of shades and suddenly say: "Mr. Rogers....we've been expecting you."

Sorry...an Agent Smith moment.

Couldn't resist.

• 8 months later...

Loved it. Just about everything was spot on with the exception of a few weird edits that my "see a film every week for the last four years" brain picked up on that just about no one else would. Everyone's cast perfectly and the high-tech props of HYDRA are right out of a Jack Kirby drawing (so was much of Thor, come to think of it.)

Spoilers ahead.

The most interesting part, for me, was Captain America - who does not have the Joseph Campbell "Hero's Journey." He doesn't have a character arc at ALL - and the movie is better for it. Captain America is just as heroic in the beginning as he is at the end. It's the rest of the world that has changed, as they acknowledge that the skinny guy from Brooklyn is the hero he always was.

This is fascinating because it puts the lie to the notion that a character has to be flawed and go through a growth arc to be interesting or compelling. Captain America - and characters like him - don't have internal conflicts, but are rather served best by giving them external conflicts, problems to solve or situations to deal with, and then watching them deal with them with the grace, competence, and heroism that moves us so.

Great film. Psyched for The Avengers (though still looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man most of all, however big a mistake it is to anticipate a film more than a week away.)

Spoilers present

I have to agree, the movie was fantastic. It is nice to see a modern superhero movie with a main character who has an unflagging moral compass. It is like with Captain Marvel(of the power of Shazam, not the other two Captain Marvels out there)--he was chosen because of his being a hero already, albeit one who lacked the means to succeed.

The propaganda bits make the suit make sense, and as mentioned in things posted here, it goes through changes when it moves from a piece of propaganda to a functional combat uniform.

I also really liked that, unlike most hero movies, this one focused on the character development and glossed over the action scenes. Steve is never less than heroic, but he still has to struggle to find the way to best use what he has. the minor deviations from the standard plotline add to the movie for me, though I know some nitpickers are already ranting about them elsewhere on the net(and were ranting about the theoretical, potential changes before the movie even came out).

Definitely worth seeing.

Next bit is extra spoilered, as it is something that you might have missed even if you've seen the movie.

Click to reveal..
Double spoilering this just in case: The Red skull doesn't get destroyed, he gets transported through a bifrost bridge to one of the other 8 realms. I expect him back at some point.

Am I the only one that thought it was boring and overly-predictable?

Insert intro here, insert action scene here, insert romantic interest...continue a barrage of pointless action scenes that are all mostly the exact same....climax....aaaaannd we're done.

*roll eyes*

Seemed more like a setup for the Avengers more than an actual movie.

Archived