Gamma World

RPG Post

Gamma World

Gamma World rises from the ashes to the … well, ashes of a new world. Death, dust and decay, plus a large amount of radiation and some dimensional fluxes. The new version was just released.

The original edition, released in '78 was a fun mishmash of mutations, crossbows and paranoia that never quite gelled for me. The new one uses the 4th Edition D&D rules and cards. Combining roleplaying with a random factor (beyond dice rolling), is an interesting way to keep the game fresh.

[end_news_blurb]

Players can buy their own booster packs of tech items and mutations, putting together decks that reflect their preferences and style. Given how many of us buy every new D&D book when it comes out, my first cynical thought on the cards being a ploy to drain the gamer of money soon turned to thinking the cards have to be a lot less expensive than buying every manual and adventure and supplement.

Who can argue to with such powers as a giant cockroach PC having Eau de Roach: “You spit at your foe. The spit is a combination of excrement, scent gland fluid, regurgitated food, and stomach acid. Yep, it’s nasty, and it burns your foe and forces it away from you.“ And if spitting excrement is not enough, the weapons list includes “a speed limit sign (with post), a parking meter and a television” among other impromptu heavy melee weapons.

Unlike the original game, (I may be misremembering the 1st edition), your character actually goes up levels as it gains xp, levels with more than social status attached. You gain new benefits and additional mutations. Whne first I played levels were more a matter of how you were regarded in your community. Which did not help at all when the swarm of microligers turned their radiation infused claws upon you.

I suggest being on the lookout for the new Gamma Terra wasteland of the new Gamma World.

As a postscript apropos of nothing: Of all the old TSR games (in addition to D&D), what I liked best was Top Secret. I would love to have it brought back using the 4th Edition rules. I am not sure if there is any espionage role playing game out currently. So anything anyone can tell me is greatly appreciated. There's something about fast cars and big guns (or small silenced ones) that just gets my blood pumping. How much more fun can it get, getting the chance to play an ultra suave playboy spy? Or a brutish enforcer thug.

On the XBOX 360, I played Alpha Protocol, which, while short, was highly entertaining, in story and as a roleplaying game. The combat left something to be desired. Not terrible but the AI is not well done, the bosses are super-powered and it becomes monotonous. It didn't make up for a paper and pencil RPG but the customization is nearly endless on the equipment and the character. To its detriment, as the combat system is lacking so too the graphics are without character and lacking a contemporary feel. As a full-priced game, I would give it a pass but once it drops in price those interested in a spy thriller RPG with a good story and fun customization system should give it a look.

Archived