Trinity RPG - Special Trinity Rules :)

abberscoped

Me and my group has made a little special rule to our Trinity World. Instead of roling 32 dice all the time we instead role 1 dice, and have to roll under our total ability score. So if i have 3 dex and 4 martial arts, i am to roll less the seven to success smile

This way sure makes everyone a little more powerd up, but why not. when you have 9 dice in something you are truly good at it, almost the best in a human perspective. And if you are you just don´t fail every other time you want to do something.

And this way it makes the game much more deadly, and that sure is fun! Like i just read on another topic"i don´t want creatures the size of the moon to frigthen the players" or something like that smile now even Joe hologram with a nice rifle is a nasty man!

What do you think about this setting?

Feedback please!

Abber, I'm not big on the rules, but this seems to work for what you want. So long as everyone uses this the same way, its at least somewhat fair. However, it does seem to unbalance the game toward the guy rolling the die and for that reason, I'm not sure I'd like it. I'm sure someone more adept with the rules can give you the cons of such a system.

I can give you a few problems with this system..

- If I max out attribute + ability, I can't fail on a task at all, and that doesn't even include Mega-Attributes and powers, and this doesn't even begin to include the effects of specialties and qualities.

- Trinity games also has higher difficulty rolls, where you have to roll multiple successes in order to succeed at something. Some powers and mega-attributes lower the number of successes needed.. so using this system devalues those capabilities.

- Degree of success sometimes makes a major difference in rolls, and that is based on the number of successes rolled.

And that's just off the top of my head, honestly? I don't like this idea, and would refuse to play it or run it, in any WW game I was running, and I've run quite a few.

Hi Aber!

The diet version: I don't really like your house rule. It just doesn't meet my needs.

The Canadian Thanksgiving dinner version: I suppose you could kludge a system where difficulties are reflected in the dice. I suppose you could do something similar with degrees of success. A number of such systems come to mind, and I could lay some of the choice ones out for you at some time in the future.

In my opinion, though, this kind of system gives up far too much, for far too little. The main issue for me is simply that systems that reflect degrees of success also better reflect complex worlds than do simple binary/success-fail/Bernoulli trials. I have a very hard time suspending my disbelief in a world where everyone pretty much always succeeds or fails in a predictable way for any given kind of test, even if it is modified by their attributes. Obviously you don't mind that so much. As an added benefit, this kind of system is capable of portraying botches in a way that is plausible.

To your benefit (and that of your group) you save a few seconds processing any given die roll: no figuring out what is a success, what needs to be rerolled, and no adding successes together. It also speeds things up if you're short on dice.

What it really depends on is what your group is looking for out of it's system. I'm guessing your group is looking for speediness and portability. When I was in high school, my group used this kind of system a lot. We were playing a lot in public or semi-public places, and didn't want to be toting dice bags or anything like that. Going to a hockey and football oriented public school when you're not a jock has a tendency to do that to the best of us. That's a story for another thread.

Most recently, the group that I played with didn't so much use house rules as much as take bits and pieces from multiple systems and stitch them together in a Frankensteinian fashion to do exactly what we wanted it to do. This group was completely different though: one unemployed philosopher, one BMath grad/commissioned sales person gone stay at home dad, and one underemployed former engineering candidtate/pre-med who eventually became a high school teacher were our rule development team.

Ok, I get what you are saying. And as you say we play with little more speed, cause roling dice takes to long sometimes. But we still have the difficulty syst, which works pretty well. Sure sometimes you get fantastic results with 15 successes (funny, depending on what you are doing)and the same goes for botches. I would say the GM decides how well the system is used. He is very experienced and handles the telling very nice.

Experimenting with many systems and trying to build new ones are fun.

I like your answer but not really satisfied with it though. I was more wondering if anyone tried playing the same way, and if, what rule modifications they had done and so on ?

If there are any mods someone did that worked well, please tell me!

//David

There is a system that only uses one die, used around the world. It's not the same as yours but I think it works well for a game that wants rapid, easy roll resolution. It's call the World of Darkness Mind's Eye Theatre system. It's what the Cam uses for die randomization.

You add together your pertienant stats; let's use Intelligence + Computers. Say you have a 3 in Int and 2 in Computers, giving you a pool of five. You roll a d10 (some people like to pull from a deck of cards numbered 1 through 10) and add it to your pool. You're trying to reach threashold number of 8; in our example, you need at least a three to get one success. The higher you roll, the more your successes get. The chart is:

8 - 1 sux

11 - 2 sux

14 - 3 sux

17 - 4 sux

20 - 5 sux

+3 - +1

So in our example above, rolling a 3 on a d10 is 1 sux, rolling a 6 is 2, rolling a 9 is three and 4 and above are beyond the character's skill.

Just offering some insight.

Archived