Around the Web on October 15th

RPG Post

Around the Web

DFRPGyourstory.jpgHarry Dresden

Harry Dresden. He's the other wizard named Harry, but he still lives in a world that does not believe in magic, vampires or the supernatural. Harry knows better, as most of them use him or abuse him in some way.

Harry Dresden was created by Jim Butcher and is the protagonist of the contemporary fantasy series The Dresden Files. The series blends magic and hardboiled detective fiction. In addition to the twelve The Dresden Files novels, he has appeared in short stories, comics, and was also adapted into a TV series.

The series of novels are great reads, the television show was fun, if unimpressive, for the year it lasted and now there is an RPG. There's a great review of the new game up at Troll in the Corner, a follow up review to the pre-release discussion.

[end_news_blurb]

Supers and Steam Punk

Up at IO9 is some information about the new Zach Snyder Superman, the new Spider-man reboot and a new Steam Punk series, Riese on SyFy Network (oh how it pains me to have to write such a ridiculous moniker).

IO9.com does not hold anything back in the spoilers department, so be aware their headlines may reveal the ending to a show you're watching, a book you're reading or the meaning of life. And the page labeled Morning Spoilers really does contain information better left unknown, for some readers. So to speak.

Battle Map

I missed this last week but a new iPad program came out for GMs to create maps and display them to players, fogged out in places they would not be able to see. Throw it up on a big screen and come that much closer to creating virtual worlds on the fly. Well, maybe not the last part. The review of Battle Map by Razeware is at Critical Gamers.

dragonagegmkit.jpgDragon Age & Warhammer 40k

The Dragon Age RPG Game Master's Kit is out and reviewed at RPG.Net. A positive review for the physical kit, as compared to the .pdf you have to print out and assemble, this new screen also contains a mini adventure.

Also up at rpg.net is an extensive review of the new Warhammer 40k rules, Deathwatch Core Rulebook. I flipped through the book enough to notice it could possibly need another trip through the editor, but that doesn't bother me as much as a lack of great content would.

Character Generators

I found some on-line character generators, looks like all d20 games, mentioned on Stargazer's World and hosted at a site call The Pathology Guy. The Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition character page takes a long time to load, so be patient. A minute, maybe a little longer. Google's Chrome kept saying the page is unresponsive; it is not, just have some patience.

As a viable alternative to the off-line generators I discuss in a different entry, this is very slow. It reminds me of the old saw about teaching a dog to talk: it's not great, but it's amazing it can do it at all. (I may be misremembering my old saws.) It's thorough, but convoluted and slowwww. This feels like a labor of love and is to be commended for the options included. Maybe someone who knows UI development could offer to pitch in a hand.

gt5delay.jpgGran Turismo 5

Finally, for those who like racing games, who will sink hours a day into tuning a car and buying and selling pieces of your racing empire, Gran Turismo 5 has been delayed again. While not quite in Duke Nukem territory I feel I have been waiting a very long time.

I haven't even bought a Sony Playstation 3 yet, figuring it will have dropped in price by the time this game comes out. Forza Motosport 3, for the XBOX 360, appeals to the autistic in me, but nothing holds a candle to Gran Turismo. Hopefully 5 will be worth the wait. I might even buy a PS3 within the next 12 months. It's that close. I can feel it.

The IO9 spoiler alert comment is in direct response to me screaming because the will put spoilers in the article title. I understand that if something says spoiler and I click on it that I should live with the consequences. But when they put the ending to a book that I am halfway through, or say what character dies in a show that I have DVRed in a title on the homepage it really pissed me off.

They have some good articles there, but I mostly avoid it like the plague for fear of ruining something else that I enjoy experiencing on my own.

With Dragon Age, it is funny to buy a pdf DM screen.

Regarding Gran Turismo 5, the story just seems strange to me. Games go gold more than a month before the game is to be released. I understand that they want the game to be pirate-proof, but there simply is no such thing. To have a major title expecting to launch before Christmas get pushed back it would have to be an unbelievably serious issue.

And finally even Duke Nukem is supposed to be released next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived