RPG Gaming Music

RPG Post

thesword-warpriders.jpgThe Sword's Warp Riders

What rpg campaign is complete without music? I always favor soundtracks, such as Alien, Aliens and Alien 3, but I have gamed with others that like Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult's Michael Moorcock penned tunes. After reading a review on IO9.

Quote:
This is the first Sword album written around a core concept, a short story written by Cronise called "The Night the Sky Cried Tears of Fire," which remains unpublished. This isn't a rock opera, though, so the plot isn't spelled out chapter by chapter in the songs. Cronise describes the album as a soundtrack for the story. I liken the songs to audio concept art for an unmade sci-fi movie. The plot remains pretty fuzzy even after a close reading of the lyrics, but it paints vivid imagery and crafts a weird world for your mind to wander in as you listen.

I am going to get a copy of The Sword's Warp Riders. Space Pirates and chronomancers, what could be better?

Do you listen to anything regularly when role playing?

Originally Posted By: RPG Post
Do you listen to anything regularly when role playing?

My tabletop days are all but non-existant (which is what led me to here years ago), so music while roleplaying doesn't really happen per se. When at my computer I have a strong tendency to just hit the shuffle button on my entire catalog and just go with the flow. Though I tend to tune it out as I'm writing.

I do however try to include music in my posts to try and get the mood across that I'm trying to convey. Most of my characters have playlists that are auto-biographical in some way or literally the soundtrack to their lives. (Re: Ira & Cass' Infinite Playlist)

Some music always, always makes me think of roleplaying or gaming in general, but more through nostalgia than anything. Rob Zombie's "Hellbilly Deluxe" for example, will always remind me of a Call of Cthulhu game I used to play because it was always the background music. The Myst III soundtrack was one of my favorites when I ran games, especially D&D and I would play it on an endless loop quietly.

Other than that it is hit and miss. If I'm fanboi-ing over a band (Skillet *screams like a girl*) I tend to play it over and over and over, but usually it really is just the grand shuffle of my 30gigs or so.
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I don't really like listening to music while tabletop role playing. The one thing that I did enjoy using was Glenn Danzig's Black Aria. This plays a lot different than a game having Danzig sing Mother.

Here is a sample:

When I am trying to create things, whether it is role playing adventures, web designs or video animations, the one album that has stuck with me is Fates Warning: A Pleasant Shade of Gray

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I really enjoy listening to that album. But there is just something about it that enables me to tune out while I am working and strange thought just jump into my head. Most of my designs that I really like were created while this was playing.

The album is a lot of self reflection. At the end it goes to silence and comes back in 30 seconds later with an alarm clock. That's kind of my cue for my rational brain to take over and figure out if what I just created is worth it or not.

My music of choice is usually dependant on what I'm trying to write. Fight scenes are usually something upbeat though not "fighty". I had a club scene I wrote once that went to this song:

">

Not a 'fight-song' or even a 'good' song, but it set the scene in my head so vividly that writing the scene was easy.

For emotional scenes or when a character is waxing emotional (read: whining laugh ), almost anything by Robert Dougan works, particularly:

">

and

I have entire playlists titled "Angry", "Sad", etc, or they are named after a character. Music helps me write and helps me hit the right mood when writing.

I don't listen to music much while gaming but when I am brainstorming I listen to the likes of these fine folks:

">

">

... among others, of course.

Archived