And the director for the new Superman movie is...

Matt

Zack Snyder, director of Watchmen, 300 and the Dawn of the Dead remake, as well as Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole that is currently in theaters and the upcoming Sucker Punch. He does a great job with action movies. Darren Aronofsky, Tony Scott, Matt Reeves, Duncan Jones, Jonathan Liebesman were all in the running for the job for the movie that was written by David Goyer and is being produced by Chris Nolan.

I would love to see what would happen if Darren Aronofsky were to direct the man of steel, but I can understand where Zack Snyder would be a safer pick for Warner Brothers. The main understand how to shoot action and comic book films.

Are you interested in a new Superman film?

Originally Posted By: Chosen
Are you interested in a new Superman film?

Dude, it's me.

I'm down for this. I woulda preferred Darren Aronofsky but that's because I'm the kind of film nerd who enjoys fall as much as summer and will see a film about ballet just because Aronofsky is directing.

However, Snyder has the chops for action and for gorgeous cinematography and a movie with a man faster than a speeding bullet IS a fine enough place to use the "ramping" technique he loves. People who were disappointed by Returns and its lack of action won't have to worry here. He's yet to make a movie that really makes me connect with an actor's performance, though, and I hope it's a trick he picks up because a Superman film should have a level of empathy to it.

That's about all I can say about it at this stage, because we still don't know what the tone of it is. I personally hope that they go the pure escapist route and give us a world where Superman fights giant intergalactic super-computers, cube-shaped parasite Earths and an evil sun - but since Christopher Nolan is the godfather of the project I have my doubts about how fantastical the world will be. We'll see, won't we?

Great strip Mike. Thanks for posting it for those of us not in chat Chosen.

I don't know directors (besides, like, Shamalyn and Spielburg (sp?)), so I have no idea about this movie from that. I'll wait until the trailers start coming out and then decide if it's something I want to see or not.

• 3 months later...

Henry-Cavill-henry-cavill-8869929-500-33 I was coming in to post this. I'll buy that this guy is Clark Kent.

I've seen a few things that he was in but I don't really recall him in any of them. Anyone watch the Tudors or anything else that he's been in? The only film on my netflix queue that stars him is Blood Creek. I'll have to move that up my list to get a better idea about him as an actor (if a horror film can do that).

Originally Posted By: Chosen
Here's a pic that Mike posted in the chat that I think it pretty cool.

This page is even better in context. Superman's dying of solar energy poisoning in the book and has many, many things to do in his time left such as literally keeping the world from getting destroyed, and he still takes time out of his day to help that kid. He is *the* iconic super hero, the benevolent savior, and if Batman represents the hero rising from darkness, Supes is the hero descending from light.

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
Originally Posted By: Mike OOC
Henry Cavill is Superman.

I've never seen the Tudors, but I may have to start. I do think it's amusing that in 2012, the three most iconic American superheroes will be played by Brits (Christian Bale was born in Wales.)

Batman, Superman, and ...?? Whom?

Andrew Garfield, recently of the (insanely good) Never Let Me Go is playing Spider-Man.

Archived