Aberrant RPG - War Journal: Chimera speech

Heritage

Author's Notes:

This one is also completed - yay!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Transcript of a speech given by Renee 'Chimera' Mohamed

at Stevens Pass on April 15th, 2047

transcribed by Shane Mulligan

(Mohamed takes the stage wearing a headset mike and a loose-fitting terry cloth robe - crowd goes wild with applause, whoops and cries of 'Snake Eyes!' as she waves happily.)

Hey, guys, how are you doing tonight?

(enthusiastic cries)

Everybody having a good time?

('Yes!')

Well I'm glad to hear it!

(noise continues)

Alright.

(noise continues)

Hey, c'mon you guys, we gotta get started sometime tonight.

(someone cries from the audience 'I love you, Chimera!' Mohamed laughs)

I love you, too, baby, but if you don't shut up, I'm gonna kick your ass.

(crowd laughs. Several people yell 'Do it!')

Don't make me come out there.

(crowd laughs again, starts to subside)

Okay, now that we got all the rampant idol worship out of the way, we can get down to business. First of all, welcome.

(crowd cheers)

Especially to those of you who have never been to a rally before - as you can see, we get a little rowdy, but that's what a rally's for, am I right? Whip up the team to take on those loser geeks from Riverdale High, cut off their heads, put 'em on pikes, the whole nine yards.

(pause)

You know I was kidding about the heads on pikes thing, right?

(laughter)

Don't do dat.

(laughter)

So anyway, these little get-togethers serve two, count 'em, two purposes. One, to give us all a time to be together and shoot the shit, and two, give me a chance to model the new spring line.

(Mohamed motions as though she's going to open the robe, but pulls a fake-out. Crowd goes nuts)

You guys wanna see it? No? Hey, that's okay.

(crowd noise is nearly deafening)

Okay, okay, I'll stop torturing you. Are you ready?

('Yes!')

Are you ready?!

('YES!!')

You asked for it!

(she flings open the robe. Beneath it she's wearing a bodysuit made from something shiny and very tight, greenish-black, with a bandoleer crossing her chest in a flattering position. Crowd goes apeshit)

You like it?

('Yes!')

I thought you would.

(laughter and whoops. Mohamed must wait a few minutes for the crowd to die down)

Okay, now that we've finished up the swimsuit competition, we now move on to the talent portion of our program. I have selected the dramatic reading category, which means I'll be reading whatever the hell comes up on that TelePrompTer right over there. Hopefully it's the stuff I wrote late last night over a bottle of Merlot, and not the stuff I wrote when I woke up this morning in someone else's bathroom.

(laughter)

Okay. So you're probably wondering what the theme of tonight's little rant is going to be. Well I'll tell ya: it's the United States government and its hypocritical stance on the air-quote "Nova Question."

The US has been deeply divided on novas from the very beginning, both as a whole and among individuals. By and large, the people have spoken, primarily through the commercial media. N! stopped broadcasting in '36, there hasn't been a successful OpNet show with a nova main character in almost fifteen years, novox music is effectively banned from the airwaves - and nobody seems to miss it. Give us human music, human cinema. That's fine, that's a legitimate choice; public tastes are allowed to change and should do so. And I for one am not shedding any tears over the death of the "Superbeast" franchise.

(laughter)

I mean, let's face it, after San Francisco Carnage, it went downhill pretty fast, didn't it?

(more laughter)

Makes you embarrassed to have a node, I swear.

So the American people, in general, do not hold us 'superguys' up the way they used to - if anything, anti-nova sentiment is at an all-time high. Michaelite communities have never been more numerous or more prosperous. Whole rooms on Capitol Hill are packed to the rafters with pending anti-nova legislation. But with all this bad feeling in the air over novas, the US has completely dragged its feet on any definitive course of action. Our government has agreed, on paper at least, with the United Nations stance on novas - sorry, aberrant novas. It agrees that Aberrants are dangerous, uncontrollable and power mad.

(pause)

Okay, I'll buy that.

(laughter)

But if we're soooo bad, how come novas have been on the government payroll for the last fifty years? The only reason the US opposed Project Utopia was because it wanted to keep novas for itself, primarily for research in the military-industrial complex and covert operations. That's where the US armed forces get all their nifty toys from.

Now does anybody here seriously think the US government is just going to hand over their novas to the UN?

('No!')

Of course not! Our super-soldiers fighting in Namibia are too damn busy to take a psych test, and anyway, the Army could give a shit if they're batshit crazy - it's not like they're killing humans over there. Let 'em tear each other apart, we'll get the Warrior Queen someday.

And lastly and most importantly on my list of outrages, the US is one of the six member nations in the Directive, an intelligence organization created solely to monitor and eliminate nova threats. These hard-working men and women, borderline psychopaths who watch our every move with obsessive thoroughness, these men and women must be armed with the most up-to-date, bleeding edge technology to stay one step ahead of the Aberrant threat. This equipment is largely supplied by high-tech Japanese and American firms like Kuro-tek, L-K and ClinTech. And who forms the core of their top secret R&D departments? You guessed it, NSI novas working under exclusive extended contracts.

So I guess the moral of the story is the US fully supports the UN's Initiative on Aberrant Novas, as long as it doesn't interfere with our dominance in economic and world affairs - why doesn't this surprise me?

(angry cries)

These are the people we voted for, whom we sent to Washington to represent us. They don't care what the UN thinks, or what our country thinks, and they certainly don't give a damn about what we think.

(applause)

Because unlike so many Americans who live in fear, we know novas and baselines can live and work together, because we do it here every day.

(deafening applause)

We here in the Green Machine are living proof that it's not about biology, it's not about theology, it's about respect for each and every human being walking this Earth, and I think you should all be very proud of yourselves for understanding the truth.

(thunderous applause)

Thank you! Thank you very much!

(cheering, stomping, 'Snake Eyes!', etc.)

We've got music here tonight!

(cheers continue as Mohammed leaves the stage)

Archived