Aberrant RPG - A World Without DeVries

metaphysician

To necro this topic some, on going and rereading Aberrant I realized that the dates actually provide a likely answer to the question.

All references to the US military's Nova Development Program in the setting material predate mid-2008. What happened at the end of 2008 in canon? President Portman's election.

And Portman was a very pro-Utopia sort of guy, who entirely put his faith in them.

And so the sudden nonexistence of the NDP and US military nova programs as of 2009 and up makes perfect sense -- Utopia lobbied President Portman to cancel them, and both out of trust for Utopia and his own politics, he did.

Good job, Aberrant writing team. You actually did explain this one... or at least, you left room for it to be explained, in a way that doesn't hurt brains.

Looks that way, doesn't it? Too bad for the U.S. that trusting Utopia didn't/won't work out too well for them...

BTW, nice catch there Chuckg.

Also all because of that, we end up with the mess.

To be honest the Aberrant plot seems very Anti-UN in general. It's amazing how if things were just a little different in some certain circumstances, then we might not even had the Aberrant War.

To steal from the Captain America movie, 'Most people forget that the first nation Utopia invaded was the United Nations.' We can't blame the UN for Utopia -- Utopia, and especially Proteus, were the creations of Aeon, which then bribed and hoodwinked the UN into allowing Utopia to have power.

Really, IMO the first shot of the Aberrant War was decades before the first public shot of the Aberrant War, and it started circa 1999 with the release of tailored biological warfare agents against novas.

Yes, I mean the sterilization conspiracy. What else can you call the indiscriminate use of bio-agents vs. civilian targets except an act of war? And launching a sneak attack to prevent a war from happening at all is Insane Troll Logic.

But launching a sneak attack to try and iajitsu duel/single-stroke victory a war, to get it over and done with and you having the upper hand...? That can still be damn tricky to pull off, but its not logically self-contradictory.

Q.E.D. -- Aeon never seriously intended to prevent the Aberrant War. They justed wanted to make damn sure they'd win it.

• 2 months later...

To steal from the Captain America movie, 'Most people forget that the first nation Utopia invaded was the United Nations.' We can't blame the UN for Utopia -- Utopia, and especially Proteus, were the creations of Aeon, which then bribed and hoodwinked the UN into allowing Utopia to have power.

Really, IMO the first shot of the Aberrant War was decades before the first public shot of the Aberrant War, and it started circa 1999 with the release of tailored biological warfare agents against novas.

Yes, I mean the sterilization conspiracy. What else can you call the indiscriminate use of bio-agents vs. civilian targets except an act of war? And launching a sneak attack to prevent a war from happening at all is Insane Troll Logic.

But launching a sneak attack to try and iajitsu duel/single-stroke victory a war, to get it over and done with and you having the upper hand...? That can still be damn tricky to pull off, but its not logically self-contradictory.

Q.E.D. -- Aeon never seriously intended to prevent the Aberrant War. They justed wanted to make damn sure they'd win it.

That's a very good look at the "Evil versions" of Mercer & Aeon, Chuckg. As defining that was also one of the major stumbling blocks currently stalling my project (aside from RL difficulties), you've really helped me out there. Mind if I steal that idea?

That's what happens when you look into the future. Max Mercer sees a bad end, and Aeon believes the Novas are that bad end. NEVER meddle with causality or you'll end up getting what you fear.

Max Mercer is the real villain of the setting.

And that's too good of a idea not to steal for the Nexus ebook. Do you mind if I do so?

Yah. I just wonder if because of what Max Mercer did with his time travel, if he didn't create a "Destiny Trap", forcing events to come to fruition. He became a part of history. He became a part of events taking place. Even his creation of an organization that was supposed to help mankind all wove the threads of destiny together.

In fact, if you think about it... what if it was Max's plan all along?

A smart time traveler would be careful to keep causality off of their backs if they wanted to change the future. Then again there is a distinct lack of two brained, two hearted time travelers in the Aeoniverse... well that aren't tainted Novas.

Yah. I just wonder if because of what Max Mercer did with his time travel, if he didn't create a "Destiny Trap", forcing events to come to fruition. He became a part of history. He became a part of events taking place. Even his creation of an organization that was supposed to help mankind all wove the threads of destiny together.

In fact, if you think about it... what if it was Max's plan all along?

A smart time traveler would be careful to keep causality off of their backs if they wanted to change the future. Then again there is a distinct lack of two brained, two hearted time travelers in the Aeoniverse... well that aren't tainted Novas.

Re: Destiny Trap

And you've just hit on my main idea for Mercer that I've been working on for months: that he created the divergent future histories of the Aeon Continuum during his initial time jumps. But seeing as a human neophyte time traveler would logically have none of the finesse at such things as everyone's favorite Time Lord, I'm positing that Mercer accomplished this by sheer accident/blundering. So in his ignorance, Mercer essentially trapped himselves (I'm using the "Multiple Max" concept) within the timelines he created. And ever since, he's been trying to ameliorate his mistakes. And in the case of the "Evil Max" Aberrant timelines, he's trying to escape the Hell he thinks he's created, which of course helps to create that very Hell.

I can just imagine said Time Lord showing up in the Aeon Continuum to have a look around, then finding Max & giving him an epic-level chewing out for his foolishness. Who'd've thought that the "chimp with a cigarette lighter" label could be applied to old Max?

• 4 months later...

That's a very good look at the "Evil versions" of Mercer & Aeon, Chuckg. As defining that was also one of the major stumbling blocks currently stalling my project (aside from RL difficulties), you've really helped me out there. Mind if I steal that idea?

Ah, sorry I didn't notice this earlier.  Yeah, sure, steal away.

Archived