Aberrant: Theomachy - Prologue: Coraline

Blue Thunder

Coraline has been in Silgaea for a week but most of the Pantheon novas only know of her name. She has been introduced to Marmir and several prominent novas in the Pantheon, but has spent most of her time setting up her new workshop. Her twin brother Erwin hasn't had much time for her either and has asked her to meet him later in the day at his chamber so they can catch-up.

Before the reunion with Erwin, Coraline has time to familiarize herself with the city and meet a few more novas.

((If you'd like to extend the scene in the workshop for whatever reason you can. Otherwise we can move along. If there are any particular places or novas you would like to have Coraline come across then she can head in that direction, otherwise I'll have her 'stumble' across places at random as she explores. I also understand you may not be able to reply as often as you would like due to RL issues. No rush.))

Dusting her hands off, Coraline glances around her workshop. The room appears cramped at first glance due to all the odds and ends of equipment she has managed to cram into it, but a subtle order exists. "Omega," she says, "Guard the room." A soft whirr comes from a back corner, and a soft glow barely distinguishable in the candlelight. Taking her lantern, she departs the room, locking the door behind her.

Once free of the maze of passages beneath the Silgaean fortress, Coraline stands outside in the air, momentarily at a loss. Up until now, either her mother or her smithy master had set tasks for her, and her sudden freedom, so far from her home in the Upper Realms, is a bit daunting. Looking up and down the side of the mountain, she makes a decision.

The climb to the top, where the Tower of Phyremos stands, is not so difficult for a god. Gaining entrance, she climbs to the watch-station at the top, staring down over the mountain with its teeming multitudes below. "You have set me a daunting future, mother," Coraline says to herself. One hand idly plays with a cogwheel across the battlement.

The Temple of Phyremus stands tall at the top of Mount Silgaea. The narrow walkways to the temple's entrance wind around the mountainside almost at random, and give a breathtaking view of the city below.

Coraline reaches the base of the temple. The tower is extremely wide, and the doorless entrance is wide enough to march a small legion through. Two men stand watch at the entrance; each carries a spear and wears a metal helmet with a pair of long feathered wings at the sides. One of them approaches Coraline to question her, but when he sees her silver eyes he stops with a quick and short bow and then extends his arm towards the tower to invite her in.

"The mistress is at the top floor." he says. He does not follow Coraline in and returns to standing at his post.

The temple's lower floor is one single circular room, with four sets of stairs at the outer edges leading to the floor above. The room is full of bird-oriented artworks such as small carvings and tapestries. Sets of armor with feather motifs adorn the walls with ornamental polearms crisscrossed in between. The marble flooring displays the stars of the night sky. A Champion of Phyremus bows in respect to Coraline as he passes.

The four stairways spiral along the wall upwards to the top of the tower. Open rooms line each stairway with the odd window looking out to the city. In all of the rooms Coraline passes, even a kitchen, she sees birds. The birds range from doves and pigeons to more exotic species Coraline has never encountered before, all living in harmony with one another and without cages. Even more odd, none of them make a sound of any kind or flutter away when she passes. They seem to be at peace.

Coraline's stairway reaches the top of the tower, though the walk is long. The walls disappear and the domed roof is instead supported by several marble columns. The entire floor is exposed to the skies and the winds; it's intimidating to those not accustomed to great heights. There are no railings at the edges to stop Coraline from tumbling over. There is a large circular cushion at the center of the floor, and several other pieces of furniture scattered about.

Near the cushion stands Phyremus. She wears a robe with a metal breastplate and boots. She appears as a beautiful baseline with one great exception; white feathered wings sprout from her back. The wings are so massive they would span the entire tower's radius if she were to stretch them out. She is clearly too large to use her own tower's stairs.

A dove lands on Coraline's shoulder. Phyremus turns to face her with an inquisitive look when she appears. "A nova visitor. I don't believe we've met before. Are you perhaps Erwin's sister?"

The dove flutters away.

Coraline reaches the base of the temple. The tower is extremely wide, and the doorless entrance is wide enough to march a small legion through. Two men stand watch at the entrance; each carries a spear and wears a metal helmet with a pair of long feathered wings at the sides. One of them approaches Coraline to question her, but when he sees her silver eyes he stops with a quick and short bow and then extends his arm towards the tower to invite her in.

"The mistress is at the top floor." he says. He does not follow Coraline in and returns to standing at his post.

Coraline gives him a respectful, though silent, nod of the head in response, and continues her climb.
The four stairways spiral along the wall upwards to the top of the tower. Open rooms line each stairway with the odd window looking out to the city. In all of the rooms Coraline passes, even a kitchen, she sees birds. The birds range from doves and pigeons to more exotic species Coraline has never encountered before, all living in harmony with one another and without cages. Even more odd, none of them make a sound of any kind or flutter away when she passes. They seem to be at peace.
((OOC, this would be the time for a major Social botch. "Say, can you cook me up a nice juicy parrot breast? Maybe an extra large omelet?" ::tongue ))
Near the cushion stands Phyremus. She wears a robe with a metal breastplate and boots. She appears as a beautiful baseline with one great exception; white feathered wings sprout from her back. The wings are so massive they would span the entire tower's radius if she were to stretch them out. She is clearly too large to use her own tower's stairs.
((OOC: erm, maybe I brain-farted, but who is Phyremus in the pantheon? [edit] Nevermind, I found it. From the one-sentance description, I think Coraline would like her. [/edit] ))
A dove lands on Coraline's shoulder. Phyremus turns to face her with an inquisitive look when she appears. "A nova visitor. I don't believe we've met before. Are you perhaps Erwin's sister?"

The dove flutters away.

Coraline takes a short moment to size up Phyremus, then gives a graceful bow. ((OOC: Rapport roll please, generally what Phyremus' opinion of Coraline is.)) "Yes. I am Coraline. I didn't mean to intrude on your privacy ... I merely thought that this vantage point would be the best to let me look down upon the city below." She turns slightly away, to limit her temptation to stare at the massive wings, and to fit action to words as she takes two small steps toward the balustrade. "I find the mortal realm very ... complex," she adds softly, watching the traffic below. "Fluid and static all at once."

Turning her head back towards the wonderous winged woman, she gives a slight smile. "Are you acquainted with my brother, or do you only know of his reputation? My father has said that Erwin is among the most promising officers in the army, but I have had little time yet to sit and speak with my brother."

Coraline takes a short moment to size up Phyremus, then gives a graceful bow. ((OOC: Rapport roll please, generally what Phyremus' opinion of Coraline is.))

Coraline

Rapport (Wit 4, Rapport 1): 1, 5, 8, 9, 10

Successes: 3

Phyremus is not offended by your presence, though she keeps a calm and serious expression at all times. Her tone and mannerisms tell you that she is curious. She does not seem preoccupied, so you are not bothering her.

"Yes. I am Coraline. I didn't mean to intrude on your privacy ... I merely thought that this vantage point would be the best to let me look down upon the city below."

"If it's a view of the city you want, then there is no better place than here. Welcome to my temple Coraline. I am Phyremus, the guardian of the city."

She turns slightly away, to limit her temptation to stare at the massive wings, and to fit action to words as she takes two small steps toward the balustrade. "I find the mortal realm very ... complex," she adds softly, watching the traffic below. "Fluid and static all at once."

"Your father says you have lived within the Upper Realm until recently. I've never been to the sanctuaries above but I understand they are places of tranquility. Gaia must be a shock to you." Phyremus pulls her wings closer to herself so that she may approach Coraline. Even with her wings pulled to her back, they tower behind Coraline and cast her in shadow. She looks over the city once she is at Coraline's side. "My job is to watch over the city and the baselines within it as if they are my children. I carry out the law when it is necessary but spend most of my time here."

Turning her head back towards the wonderous winged woman, she gives a slight smile. "Are you acquainted with my brother, or do you only know of his reputation? My father has said that Erwin is among the most promising officers in the army, but I have had little time yet to sit and speak with my brother."

Phyremus walks back from the ledge. "Erwin will command his own legion soon. I cannot recall his skill in battle since I have not seen him in war, but he will have a chance to prove himself to everyone eventually. Our lands are besieged on all sides by enemies. You may have noticed that war is a constant presence on Gaia. Novas that prove themselves in battle gain the respect of the Archon and the Pantheon."

Phyremus walks to her large cushion but doesn't sit down. "If one isn't a warrior, then one must find some way to contribute to the war effort. Your father says you are a master of the forge. That is fortunate. We haven't had one for some time now. We look forward to your efforts young one."

When the conversation is finished Phyremus walks to Coraline, and places a strong hand on her shoulder. "Justice be with you."

((Is there anywhere in particular you would like to go next? Otherwise, I can chose a random place for you. You could also have us fast-forward to meeting Erwin if you want.))

Coraline

Rapport (Wit 4, Rapport 1): 1, 5, 8, 9, 10

Successes: 3

Phyremus is not offended by your presence, though she keeps a calm and serious expression at all times. Her tone and mannerisms tell you that she is curious. She does not seem preoccupied, so you are not bothering her.

((Cool, I'm happy with that.))
"If it's a view of the city you want, then there is no better place than here. Welcome to my temple Coraline. I am Phyremus, the guardian of the city."
Coraline now remembers why that name sounded familiar, and executes a short, though properly graceful, bow.
Phyremus walks back from the ledge. "Erwin will command his own legion soon. I cannot recall his skill in battle since I have not seen him in war, but he will have a chance to prove himself to everyone eventually. Our lands are besieged on all sides by enemies. You may have noticed that war is a constant presence on Gaia. Novas that prove themselves in battle gain the respect of the Archon and the Pantheon."

Phyremus walks to her large cushion but doesn't sit down. "If one isn't a warrior, then one must find some way to contribute to the war effort. Your father says you are a master of the forge. That is fortunate. We haven't had one for some time now. We look forward to your efforts young one."

Coraline nods, and spins the cog on one finger. "I apprenticed with another of the Upper Realm gods, one named Hefneros. I am not untutored in the arts of weaponry, of course, but I have not fought in a real battle." Glints of armor from a barracks yard play over the side of the tower as she watches the formations. "If it comes to war, I am afraid I am more a craftsman than a warrior."
When the conversation is finished Phyremus walks to Coraline, and places a strong hand on her shoulder. "Justice be with you."
Coraline gives another bow to the winged nova, and moves to the stairs. At the top, just before descending, she pauses and turns back. "If you have need of metalwork, please feel free to send a runner to my rooms beneath the palace. I don't think your wings would fit in my workshop, but I wouldn't want that to make you seek out a lesser smithy."

The climb down from Phyremus' tower is just as long, though possibly easier. Coraline does detour briefly through the city, mostly wandering through the various merchant 'streets' (ie, the goldsmiths' street, the carpenters' street, the blacksmiths' street) and glancing at the pieces displayed and, when possibly, at the craftsmen at work. She'll say nothing to them, not yet at least, but she will mark off a handful of the best. In the future, she might well have need of apprentices, and she'd rather have helpers who already know something of the business. (Not that she'll shun contact from the masters or journeymen who want to talk craft, though she'll be abrupt and aloof to anyone trying to peddle wares to a goddess. But she's not going to initiate conversations today.)

Returning to the palace, Coraline descends back into the warrens and to her workshop. Opening the lock, she steps inside, and looks at Omega. His eyes still glow yellow, so her workshop remained inviolate. Stepping into the smaller 'bedroom' in the back, she washes the dust of the street from her face and hands, and changes into a fancier outfit, more in keeping with a dinner in the palace above. Though she's skilled enough not to show (much) sign, she is nervous about this meeting. After all, the last time she saw Erwin was the day they both were born, and she doesn't remember much of that day.

Up above, she heads for the large suite where her father and brother live. In fact, in the hallway, her father is heading in her direction. "Coraline!" he calls out, she smiles faintly. Her father smiles more broadly, of course - he's never been one to hide his feelings. She gives him a restrained hug, since metal plate armor isn't terribly comfortable. "I hope things are going well, and you're settling in okay?" he asks her, then claps a heavy hand on her shoulder. "Sorry, but I'll have to miss the dinner tonight. I just got handed my new marching orders tonight." Benjamin taps a finger against the rank insignia of a Commander, spot-welded onto the top edge of the cuirass. "I've got to ride Sonora north and watch the mud flats for a bit, get acquianted with my other two battalions." Leaning closer, he lowers his voice a little. "Erwin also got a promotion - he's a full Hechatontarch now, instead of just the assistant. Mention it at least, it'll help break the ice. I know he's skittish as a newborn foal right now." Straightening, he gives her a playful salute, both fists crashing to the breastplate, then turns to leave. ((Sonora is the gryphon, of course.))

Coraline lets him get a step or two away in indecision, then calls out. "Wait, Benjamin! Um, father." She catches up to him as he turns, and she pulls the cogwheel out of her pocket. "Take this with you, to remember me by." When the Gryphon Rider raises an eyebrow, she shakes her head ruefully. "There's no godly power in it, just a simple, well-crafted piece of steel. I just want you to remember that you have family back here." She tilts her head up just a little, and kisses her father on the cheek. "Good luck." With that, she turns back towards the suite.

Outside the door, she pauses for another brief moment to run a hand through her hair and smooth the skirt. Her brother is much like her in looks - the straight, jet-black hair of their mother, with the pale skin of their father, though Erwin got his eyes rather than Skuld's silvery ones. After a moment, she raises a hand to knock, and spend an hour or two trying to forge a relationship with her long-separated sibling.

Archived