Matt

EON to join with RPG-Post

158 posts in this topic

Ok, Cranky Dog has been approved. I'm warning you though, he better not spam the Scion game. ::biggrin

I can't promise that I'll become an active member following the merge as I don't think that I can commit the time anymore, but EON's health has always depended on active games.

ezekiel,

Thanks for the comments. If you can't commit time to posting, that is fine. Just know that you'll always be welcome to join in if you ever have a free minute or see a post that you just have to respond to.

Sorry I've been incommunicado for so long. RL issues never seem to go away! ::brick

Chosen, what do you need for the back end stuff/ftp to start the merge process?

JC

Hey JC,

I hope that your RL isn't that bad. I'm sending you a PM to discuss the details.

Thanks,

Chosen

Does anyone have an e-mail address for metaphysician, so we can find out if the game is really and truly dead?

I emailed metaphysician to find out the status of the game.

Sorry guys about the absence. Game is *not*, repeat, *not*, dead. My internet just didn't get activated when it was supposed to during the move. ::brick

I'm sending this from a library computer. God willing, internet will go live this Thursday, and I'll finalize charsheets and put up the prologue post this weekend. *crosses fingers*

Yay!

Also: Someone from another forum, IIRC named "Disco Soup", was waiting to get approved to submit a PC to meta-doc.

Yay!

Also: Someone from another forum, IIRC named "Disco Soup", was waiting to get approved to submit a PC to meta-doc.

Erm, couldn't find Disco Soup in the waiting validating list... Could you check to make sure of the exact name used?

JC

::brick

Still no internet, looks like none until next Tuesday. Well, no real internet. Let us all give praises to Saint Linksys the Unsecure, Patroness of People-Lacking-Internet.

Also, I think I'm capping the game at five players.

Erm, couldn't find Disco Soup in the waiting validating list... Could you check to make sure of the exact name used?
Disco Soup was the name he used. ::shrug Don't know why it's not in the list. Should I tell him to try reregistering?

Dear All,

Well, this is it. I'm the last in a long line of owner/admins for this site. Eononline has been around since 2002 and I've been a member almost that long. I took over because no-one else could at the time, even though I have neither the skills nor expertise to keep the site going. EON in its current form has been dying for a long time now, and I've pretty much been an absentee landlord for the most part.

I said when I took the job that I'd do it until the site either died, or we found someone better. I'm glad that it will be the latter of the two. I'm glad that Chosen can hopefully help keep this little Library of Alexandria for all things Aeon going.

I've sent all the account information to Chosen, but the actual site merge may take a while, but once it's done we'll have a shiny new, and hopefully active, home.

Jackson Creed

JC,

You kept the torch burning during your reign and have handed it off with dignity and grace. Thank you and very well done.

What Alex Green said, with a double-helping of thanks for your efforts.

Hey all,

I just wanted to give an update on the status of things. Let me start by jumping on the bandwagon and thanking JC for all of his help keeping eononline.net going. I really appreciate his help in making this a smooth transition so far. The first big thing to announce is that JC has been gracious enough to stay on after the merge. He'll be in the megamoderator role, and it will be great for me to have someone else to help out from time to time.

The merge will occur in a couple of phases. The phases are the domain name, the web hosting, the forum and the static files.

We are already in the process of switching the domain name over. I have prepaid for a few years already, so eononline.net will be around for the future. Hopefully that will be completed in the next week or so.

Once that is completed we'll be switching hosting from the existing location to my server. There won't be much to notice during this transition, but there will be a small window of time where I'll have to turn off the forum so that no information is lost. This shouldn't take too long. As of right now I am planning on doing this the weekend of the 19th. The exact day and time isn't set but I'll keep everyone updated on the specifics as we get closer.

Then we'll have the big forum merge. This will combine this forum with the one at rpg-post.com. This will be done in a day and for a period of time both forums will be turned off. The majority of things will be completed in an hour or so, but there will be a lot of issues that I'll have to resolve after the fact. For example, I need to go in manually and merge any users that exist on both sites. I'll also have to update links that may break during the transition. The cleanup portion will take a while to fix. At this time I'll be archiving this forum so that everything will exist in this state but no new content will be allowed.

And then the last thing is to properly integrate the static content. I've started work on this already, but it is a mammoth undertaking so I'll be at it for a while. Nothing will disappear during any of these phases, but there may be an extra click or 2 to get to the content.

I am very excited to be working on both sites and am looking forward to the merge. Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to more of you in the future. If there are any questions please let me know.

Take care,

Chosen

Things progressed a little quicker than I had anticipated so I am going to try to switch the site over this weekend instead of next. I am currently backing everything up now.

Hi, everyone.

I've now read through this 10 page thriller, and although I'm happy to see that the forces of good seem to have rallied and saved the old community, I still feel like some pages are missing from the book....

How did the story end? Is the merge done, or are we waiting?

I haven't been a regular here in years, since real life stole my time away from all the great EON stories, but I'd be sad to see the forums I've spent so much time on just fade away. Thanks to Chosen, Jackson and all the rest of you that have kept the site hanging on.

Didn't realize how much I missed this place. ::smile

Glad to have you back Asbjørn.

The merge is still underway. I am waiting from something from the forum programmers and then I'll finally have a real update to post.

Holy cats! Look like I made it just short of the closing credits! I'm glad to see so many folks interested to keep this place alive. Think I'll stick around for a bit. ::biggrin

Yeah, my game may have fizzled, but it seems like activity has actually boosted all around anyway.

*ponders ways to get someone else to GM a Paragons game here. . . * ::devil

Huzzuh! I too have an awful lot of good memories tied up here... ::samurai

I salute everyone who made Eon such an awesome place to spend time and share mindspace.

Huzzuh! I too have an awful lot of good memories tied up here... ::samurai

I salute everyone who made Eon such an awesome place to spend time and share mindspace.

You know Knave.... I couldn't have put it better myself. ::ultracool

nprimelogo3.png

The 2 best websites dedicated to the Trinity Universe RPG games, Eononline.net & Nprime.net, have joined forced under the name RPG-Post.com.

The site will be down for some time beginning at 9am EST on September 18th for the merge. I look forward to seeing people from both sites tomorrow.

eonlogo.jpg

Okay, the link seems to forward now, but I can't seem to find any of the old topics except for the Scion game forum. Is the merge still ongoing, or am I missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, I found them. blush

I'm glad you found them. The basic structure of both sites were pretty similar so merging them is pretty straight forward. There were a few sub forums on RPG-post.com that didn't exist on eononline.net so I am going through the content and decide if it should be reorganized. For now they are all in sub forums with the same name.

I have all the members ported over. I believe that I have avatars fixed for everyone that had a custom avatar.

All of the content has been combined. The only area to be changed really is the projects. The security works differently between the sites so they are currently hidden until I can figure out what to do with them.

I am still working my way through all of the forums and users and making sure that the permissions are set properly.

The big one outstanding forum related issue is that none of the file attachments were able to be merged. That is something that I am going to have to do manually. It will take a while but eventually I will get that all fixed up.

The EON menu at the top is a placeholder. I am going to move some of that content into the forums, and when the big update comes later in the year I'll have a new section for downloads and other content in a separate menu.

I need to make sure that I have everything ported over properly and then I am going to fix up a few things on the eononline.net side of things. I'm trying to decide which is better, to make eononline.net more usable or to make things better for search engines.

Well I'm back after a hiatus, and I see we have a new site!

One problem that perhaps Chosen can help me with...

All of my old log ins still work. However, I had the same screenname and log in on N-Prime and Eon Online, which used to be separate sites. But now going to eononline.net takes me here.

So...what happened to my pages of old PMs from my Eon ONline account? They were still there before the merge, on the courtesy site Chosen had up. Now...poof! They contained some messages I was archiving for posterity including stuff for characters...

Second...some of my messages for the SkyLion account here on NPRime/Rpg-post are missing since the transition. I only have 3 pages of messages in my inbox and some are gone, presumably from what would have been a fourth page...

Little help please???

1 person likes this

I think that's an issue that happened to all of us. You should contact Chosen. Can't tell much about the Eon-thing, though. Never been on that site.

This software doesn't allow multiple domains without paying double so I have to completely combine the sites. Unfortunately not all PMs made the conversion to this software.

I do still have both previous sites (nprime and eon) in unlinked subforums for archival use. Just add the site name as indicated in the previous sentence to this domain name and you'll have access to the old sites.

Hello, I am new to your forums and hope I am not being a bother, but is there a post or announcement on here somewhere related to what exactly happened to eononline? Is this a related site? After not finding the original website, and much followup searching, I noticed that this site kept coming up and that it had the eon content archived. I was not officially a part of that community (the webmaster never validated my account) but I was one of the many silent fans who appreciated the great supplemental content for the aeon-verse. Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Go to rpgpost.com and then add /eon

That'll take you to the Eon site. It merged with RPG-Post a little while ago, and when RPG-Post went through a site update/server change, the new separate area for Eon was created. :)

I hope that helps!

Thank you, I appreciate it.

For the admins, would it be possible to put an explanation announcement somewhere, such as on the old link or perhaps some easily accessible place on this site (with a bunch of dandy keywords for google to pick up)? Not trying to be demanding (though it probably sounds that way, since this is only my second post here...), but I'd hate to think that there are other people like me out there missing out on all the awesome eon content due to confusion, people that weren't thorough enough to hunt down the site again.

Almost all of the old EON content has been merged with this site. I am working on getting everything integrated. We have a couple of technical issues we are working on but as soon as they are addressed you'll be able to retrieve all EON content that has been integrated into the forums.

Displaying the archival site doesn't do anything for anyone these days. When I had it up almost no one ever visited it.

That's awesome, and it's great of you to keep all of the stuff archived. For my part, I didn't even know it was archived here until two days ago and I'm sure there are many others out there in the same position.

I do still have both previous sites (nprime and eon) in unlinked subforums for archival use. Just add the site name as indicated in the previous sentence to this domain name and you'll have access to the old sites.

The archives for EON and Nprime have been removed. Since code for the old versions isn't being updated it opened a security flaw that someone tried to exploit. All of the public content is still available on the main site. I wish I could keep the archives there but it isn't worth the risk.