Matt

EON to join with RPG-Post

158 posts in this topic

If people want to start working on characters writeups, figure on using the default Hero level chargen from the Scion sourcebook. I'm not going to particularly alter it.

And since there's the chance it might be relevant to backstory, two bits of setting I'm not using, aside from the afforementioned: the Keepers of the World, and the Order of the Divine Glory. The former are a fine conspiracy, but only relevant for a God level game. So, I'm dropping it so I can use the NPCs as just NPCs, if it ever becomes relevant. Order of the Divine Glory don't exist in the setting, period, because they make no sense.

Character Sheet:

Birth Name:

Nick Names:

Aliases:

Calling:

Known Relatives:

Nature:

Ethnic Background:

Nationality:

Height:

Weight:

Eye Color:

Hair Color:

Handedness:

Distinguishing Marks:

Appearance:

Personality:

Interests:

History:

Pantheon:

Patron:

Virtues:

Physical: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina

Epic-Physical:

Knacks:

Mental: Perception, Intelligence, Wits

Epic-Mental:

Knacks:

Social: Charisma, Manipulation, Appearance

Epic-Social:

Knacks:

Abilities: Academics, Animal Ken, Art, Athletics, Awareness, Brawl, Command, Control, Craft, Empathy, Fortitude, Integrity, Investigation, Larceny, Marksmanship, Medicine, Melee, Occult, Politics, Presence, Science, Stealth, Survival, Thrown

Underlined Abilities require a sub-specialty.

Birthrights:

Boons:

Join Battle

Attacks:

Soak

Stamina:

Epic-Stamina:

Armor:

Total:

Health Levels:

Dodge DV:

Willpower:

Legend:

Legend Points:

Misc. Equipment:

Misc Formulas (don't include on sheet)

Dodge DV* (Dexterity + Athletics + Legend) / 2

Parry DV* (Dexterity + [brawl or Melee] + Weapon Defense Bonus) / 2

Join Battle Wits + Awareness

Movement* Dexterity yards

Dash* Dexterity + 6

Climb Speed* Dexterity / 2

Swim Speed* Dexterity / 2

Vertical Jump Strength + Athletics yards

Horizontal Jump (Strength + Athletics) * 2 yards

Bashing Soak Stamina

Lethal Soak Stamina / 2

* are affected by Wound Penalties

And a reminder, anyone with Legend 2 or above ( that is, anyone who is not a mundane ) rounds up.

BlueNinja: just to make sure you know this, let me remind that the three fates are *not* gods, in the Aesir or any other pantheon. So, you'd have to change Coraline's origin from being the daughter of a Fate, to being the daughter of a goddess of fate. Offhand, the best candidate among the Aesir is actually Frigga.

BlueNinja: just to make sure you know this, let me remind that the three fates are *not* gods, in the Aesir or any other pantheon. So, you'd have to change Coraline's origin from being the daughter of a Fate, to being the daughter of a goddess of fate. Offhand, the best candidate among the Aesir is actually Frigga.
In the Scion rules, they might not be divinities, but IIRC mythologically speaking they were. However, if I revamped her, I'd be changing 90% of her backstory anyway, so I'd look at other pantheons as well.

This all assumes that internet access stays available - so far, so good. ::happy

If you have access to it, check out "Concept to Execution" in the Scion Companion, under Intelligence Knacks. I think you'll like it.

Oh yeah. Definitely starting down that path (you need two other feats before you can get it).

Craft and Art are a little pricey considering you have to get them individually.

Just to check... Craft is usually linked with Int, and Art is linked with either Chr (perform type stuff) or Wits (create art type stuff)?

Okay, I seem to have two people right now. I have another one who is thinking about playing. If I can get one more player, than we'll get this started.

Hmm, I'm not entirely comfortable with the thought, but if thats what it takes, I suppose.

Hey guys, I don't know if we're interested or not (and Jackson Creed, this is specifically directed at you more so than the rest of us), but Chosen, who is the site moderator for RPG-Post (formerly nPrime), has offered to merge our sites together, thus ensuring that EON never goes away.

The offer was made here.

Over on rpg I'm Courier (and Dr. Troll) and merging probably offers a lot. More people, etc.

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm already over there as well. I probably post most often as Kazuo, but I also post as John Walker, Cherry, and Guo Zhenglai.

And Courier's right, merging over there would offer a lot, not the least of which is assurance that all of EON is in no danger of vanishing.

I'm already over there as Sprocket (no confusion here, folks!) so I'm seeing *nothing* in the way of a downside to that offer. They've already got the multiple PBEM games to keep them going strong, so no traffic worries there.

The only thing that might be a problem is the possibility of losing the game materials here at EON. Putting them into ZIP archives for download from an RPG-Post page or thread would seem a viable solution.

BTW, long time no see, Cottus!

The only trouble I see is the somewhat cliquish nature of those boards, relative to the vibe that has always pervaded here at EON. Of course, cliquish players is better than no players, no games, and no board.

Rough Draft of Character sent.

Sorry I didn't get a reply earlier. Yeah, looks fine.

I'm not generally advancing the game atm, until we decide about whether to unite with RPG-Post or not. I'm in favor, on consideration, but I'm not the decision-maker.

The only trouble I see is the somewhat cliquish nature of those boards, relative to the vibe that has always pervaded here at EON. Of course, cliquish players is better than no players, no games, and no board.
Given that we have several EON posters who also post there, perhaps they can help the situation somewhat?

Let me know what people want. Could someone ask Chosen to tell what username he wants so I know which to approve?

JC

Personally, I think a join would be a good thing. It ensures that this site is in no danger of vanishing one day, and it gives both sites infusions of 'fresh blood', so to speak.

Personally, I think a join would be a good thing. It ensures that this site is in no danger of vanishing one day, and it gives both sites infusions of 'fresh blood', so to speak.

Regardless of the outcome of the joining issue, I'm interested in the Scion game. I'll keep an eye here for when the discussion on it moves forward again. :)

Thanks Jackson, by the way, for the speedy approval!

Thanks to Jackson/Dan for helping me get signed up. I hope that we can find an agreeable way for me to help out.

A little about me and the history of rpg-post.com. I am a huge fan of the Trinity Universe games. I STed Aeon when it first came out and followed the line through to the end, happily purchasing every book even when they went to d20. I particpated in the mailing lists prior to everyone having a forum. I also helped design a version of brainwaves. I currently own a media production company and because of that can offer a high end server for RPG-Post. I have been doing this for over a decade and I think that everyone that has had experiences with me will say that I have tried to do everything in my power to help out.

I helped start aeonsociety.org with Steven Otte back in the late 90s. He ran the Trinity side of things and I ran the Aberrant side. He allowed the domain to lapse and unfortunately it was cyber squatted, which is still the case a decade later. I broke off and kept things running on nprime.net. A few years ago, and long after the Trinity universe RPG books were no longer being published, I decided to expand the scope of the site in order to make sure that the site could continue long into the future and changed the name to rpg-post.com. With this transition brought a bunch of smaller ST driven campaigns. We currently have active games in the following systems: Aberrant, BESM, Mutants & Masterminds, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Trinity and Scion. We have previously had games of Adventure, D&D, Exalted, Changeling, Nobilis, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Alternity, War Hammer, Ars Magica and Game of Thrones.

I am going to state what I think the best direction is to keep this content going. This won't be an exact list or a has to happen, but simply what I view as the best alternative. I am always open to new ideas and will welcome any suggestions that anyone can come up with.

What I would like to do is to combine everything on EON and RPG-Post, which would include all of the static content and forum data. The content would then be hosted on RPG-Post. Initially I would create a dropdown menu at the top of the page to link to what is currently in the static sections of EON. I would then go section by section and bring the content into the forums. The main reason for me to do that is so that I have one method of delivery for everything. That allows any applications on the site to work across everything without the fear of something being left behind. I'll keep the link up there as long as it is being used.

I would like to have the domain name transferred over to me so that I can keep it going as long as necessary. We would need to set up a message that would help explain the transition and give people quick links to get to the EON specific content which would load when they visit eononline.net. I would probably prepay for 3 years and then make a determination based on the amount of clicks coming in through that domain at the end of the time to see if it is worth it or not to continue with the domain. The search engines will pick up the transition and ultimately update all the search links will point to the new location.

So that is my quick overview of what I would like to do with the content. And that it half of what is important to me with this. The other vital element is you. I want the site to be accommodating to everyone, regardless of what game you are interested in or which site you previously preferred. Every member of EON would obviously be welcome on the merged site. Anyone that is working on something on EON would still be able to do so on the merged site.

There are a bunch of global moderators on EON. We don't have the issue with Spambots so I don't think there is a need for global moderators. However, if you are active and would like to help with a particular forum then I have no problem extending the offer to moderate a forum on rpg-post.com.

This can be an organic process. If people are open to the basic idea of a merge then I'll do whatever I can to make this a positive experience for everyone. I want to include everyone in this and guarantee that there will be a place for anyone that wants to contribute.

I look forward to discussing this further with everyone.

-Matt

Hi Chosen,

Welcome to the forum. I've made you a Superadmin so you have the same access to the admin control panel that I do. Feel free to poke around and take a look at the behind the scenes maguffin!

Let the discussions begin!

JC

Re: RPG-Post/EON Online merger-

After reading Chosen's post, I have to say that this sounds like the best possible solution for EON's continued existence, hands down. I'm all for it. ::smile

Thanks for the access JC, and thanks for the nod of approval Sprocket.

Unless there is a need to move things along quickly I want to give this a few weeks so that people have a chance to stop in and give their input. It does appears like it is basically a go. I want to see if people come in and offer insight into how they would like things handled.

There may be bumps along the way as I deal with separate forum software, but hopefully they can be smoothed over quickly. While people comment on things I will be testing how to actually perform the merge.

With the 2 sites combining the first issue is members on both sites. Some people I know from both sites and I don't think there would coincidentally be multiple people named Bahamut810. I will be going individually through all the members and seeing if people share the same login and email address. If they appear to be the same person I will merge the accounts. Then there may be some people with more generic display names that I will have to figure out how to handle when I get there.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

-Matt

Hi folks,

Since the topic of this forum has drifted from Metaphysician's Scion game proposal onto site development, I've created a new set of forums in the Games section. People may want to copy and paste their posts across into the threads over there, or possibly just start over.

JC

I agree it's a great way to secure the content. I don't think it will much solve the problem of community. Eon has had a flagging community, mostly due to the loss of some of our best and most dedicated STs and players, ie: Heritage, Prof Potts, Blue Thunder, Blue Ninja, Ezekial etc.

It's the games and the player who give a board it's feel, and it's vitality.

I can really appreciate the level of dedication seen in many of the games on RPG-Post. On the other hand, the community there has always seemed alot more cliquish and unwelcoming to me than here...especially because many there distinguish being a gamer/player with that of being a WRITER. And if you identify with being a gamer over being a writer you take some flack.

Also, and this isn't the most horrible thing really, but I have found it difficult to join some of the games there, because the large number of cliquish players jump on, there is no more room for new players and/or I get discriminated agasint because of the opinion some there have of me. Eon has always felt less cliquish, more tolerant, and more welcoming.

Moreover, the really active players and STs there that seem to quickly dominate the roster of every new game proposal are PROLIFIC posters. I honestly have no idea how people can spend so much of their day reading and writing on the boards. Games that go slower than this breakneck pace tend to wilt and die. I have yet to see/find a middle ground.

Laslty, there have not been many Baerrant games there lately. I can appreciate Scion, and all the other games, but I want to see Aberrant continue to be represented there. Most recently I was suuuuper excited about Blue Thunder's Theomachy game which was essentially stillborn by ST vanishing.

I suppose you could boil all of the above commentary down to a fear of loss of identity...

SkyLion,

I understand your fears and respect your opinion. I don't know if this post will really be able to alleviate your issues, but I will address them.

You mentioned the flagging community due to STs and players moving on. Some of the people in that group haven't visited the site in years, but the majority of them have been here recently. I don't want to speculate about why they aren't participating now, but perhaps a merge could provide new information and games for them to participate. All I can do is ask each member of this community to participate, at least in this discussion to help shape the future of EON. If you have ideas please post them so that we can find the best solution. The title of this thread is "EON to close Summer 2010" after all, so there is some feeling of urgency.

Since I can't say anything about the people that aren't posting here, I'll discuss those that are. The most prolific poster on EON, Alex Green, has also been very active on Nprime since the beginning. Cottus Centimane and you, SkyLion, have also been active on both sites. Sprocket is still very active, as is metaphysician. They others have all given their blessing to the merge so there will be a strong presence of what current exists on EON.

I appreciate your desire to keep your feeling of community and identity. There are some good people still active, and a lot more that are still lurking. If they are willing to continue forward, then it is ultimately up to you about the identity. At best your community continues and can change the culture of RPG-Post because of your participation. At worse the community continues to decline, which is already happening here. Regardless, you would still be in a community that is run by someone that wants your participation and will do whatever he can to help you play a part.

I also want to continue the tradition of Aberrant gaming online. However, I don't believe that the current options are working. I came to this conclusion a while back with Nprime. There aren't going to be a bunch of new people looking for Aberrant web sites. But there is a huge number of people with interested in online RPGs. The best that we can do is bring content to the site that will appeal to a broader spectrum of visitors and then try to get them interested in Aberrant once they are there.

A website isn't a static element. This site is very different than it was many years ago, as is Nprime/RPG-Post. I have seen a bunch of people whose writings I loved to read, and who I have greatly respected disappear over the years. That is just the way of life. We can only provide the platform to attract new people.

While thinking of viable options to help keep EON going I thought about just offering to host the site for the future. That wouldn't be any problem for me to do, but the more I thought about it the more that felt like it wouldn't accomplish anything. The Trinity Universe is slipping into obscurity. It has been years since the books were published. Hell, it has been 6 long years since the d20 version of Aberrant came out. I don't believe that EON is going to be attracting tons of new visitors. And then the issue with spambots will make their joining more difficult. I think a change needs to be made, and the sooner the better because as posts continue to decline so too will be number of people still participating. And over time those participating switch to lurking and eventually into not visiting.

I have a ton of respect for this community and ultimately all I want to do is help. RPG-Post is still going strong and has a post count 250% greater than this site. That is the simple numbers of it. I remain very active on the site. I am working on new features and ways for players to interact. I believe that we have a lot of great days ahead of us. I believe that the best thing is for the top two and longest running sites created for the Trinity Universe to join forces.

Well said Chosen.

I suggest we split off discussions about Scion to a new thread.

Other than the one comment from Skylion I haven't heard anyone with an issue regarding me picking up EON and making sure that it doesn't close.

I have made a backup of everything on the front end. JC, Is it possible for me to get FTP access so that I can make sure that I have everything? I can set up all of the standard files from what I have but there are some dynamic elements that can't get moved unless I get them through ftp.

I have applied to have the domain name transferred to me. I didn't recognize the email associated with the domain but I assume that it is yours JC.

I'd like to get everything set up on my server. Once we have that we can determine our next steps.

I have no objection. If nothing else, it means I don't have to lose the Ancient Aberrant session logs. ;)

Oh! I've got an account at rpg-post. Same name.

should be fun.

I'm going to be incommunicado for the next 48 hours or so, but I'll see about sorting out the ftp malarky when I get back on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be able to get things sorted in a relatively decent timeframe.

::cool

JC

Hi all and hi Chosen,

for what it's worth I think that a merge is a great idea. I can't promise that I'll become an active member following the merge as I don't think that I can commit the time anymore, but EON's health has always depended on active games. While I understand Skylion's concern regarding "cliques" of players on RPG-post, the truth is the reason EON never had that problem is that it was always a single clique with generally very few active posters. Now the few has dwindled to barely enough to maintain an active game.

The pace of posting tends to be set by the storyteller. If an EON-ite starts a game on RPG-post, I'm sure that the pace will be similar to EON game. I think that a merge will provide certainty to us old-timers that the content will continue to exist somewhere, it will also provide greater exposure to EON games and hopefully introduce new players to the great aeon-verse.

I'm glad to see that someone with as keen an interest as Chosen will be overseeing the merge. Here's to the new era ::beer30

JC / Chosen:

Can one of you please approve the account for "Cranky Dog"? I promise, he's not a spammer, he's here to join meta-doc's Scion game. ::cool