Matt

EON to join with RPG-Post

158 posts in this topic

What exactly is entialed in a PDF conversion? Why is it such a lengthy process?
First thing is that JessiLaurn will be handling the actual conversion process herself. She's kept all the required templates & such - she has a copy of Adobe Acrobat (IIRC) & she knows how to use it well.

Second thing is the editing process, which is the main time-depleter. Once a section/chapter has been converted into PDF format, everyone available on the Development Team will go over it with the proverbial fine-toothed comb in search of grammatical & spelling errors, plus other glitches which evaded previous editing in peer review.

Third thing is waiting on art submissions. Captether's done w/ his & Cottus has 3-4 already in (still hoping to get 2 more out of him, but we'll see), but we've got a new artist on board.

As long as there's life in the old girl, then EON will continue!

JC

Glad to hear it! ::biggrin

Offer still stands, if you want I will renew the domain for 10 years at the registrar I wok for (well their cut price daughter company anyway). Let me know if you're interested and I can set up the account and the transfer for you.

Well, Sheiser.

Looks like we are back to where we were a few months ago. Maybe we ought to take a page from the NPrime playbook and finally open up EON to some other games, like the recently mentioned Scion series or Shade's oft mentioned DnD ambitions...

...? ::indifferent

Someone posted this (below) here: http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/top...html#Post175036

Hey folks,

I love this group and have been stalking it silently for a few years now, especially when running our Aberrant Table Top.

We are trying to get a community rolling on FaceBook and trying to get the materials reprinted (or at least new stuff on pdf)

Please join up at this link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aberrant/180159907933

And fully agree about Scion. Or even AD&D (Pathfinder hopefully).

If it keeps EON afloat, there's not much I'd be opposed to including game-wise. Scion is a definite good first pick, but I'm a little vague on what others might work out that RPG Post hasn't already covered. Or is overlap not a problem?

If EON does get laid to rest, what will happen to all of the material in development? I am especially interested in the material that was gathered from the White Wolf developers to be used for Bright Continent.

I can't speak for the other projects, but the Mega-Physical ebook would still be put out, albeit with a bit less interior art than we're hoping for. Alex Green, JessiLaurn & myself are all members of RPG Post, so the PDF conversion could be handled there with minimal difficulty. We'd still be subject to RL interference though, which is what's bogging it down currently. ::sad

I'm sorry to see that EON hasn't really picked up in the last two or three years. I've been lurking once in a while (maybe once every three or four months) and still think fondly of the community and many of the games I participated in...

In case the site goes the way of the DoDo...Is there an easy way to cache a whole thread or even the whole site?

AFA threads go, I just save the printable versions at the highest page density available.

Beyond just saving everything else of interest, I've no idea on how best to cache this site.

As far as adding Scion to the forums, I would certainly not be against it given that I'm a huge fan of Scion. It would be easy enough to create a new set of threads if people are agreeable.

JC

I'm certainly amenable. I like the game and the setting, and its even getting the odd new PDF release. Sure, mechanically, it has some 1e style issues, but its worth consideration. . . and if somebody were to try and run a game here, I'd join. Probably as a Scion of Tyr. *cough*

Re: Other games-

One other possible candidate has just sprung to mind: Eclipse Phase from Catalyst Game Labs & Posthuman Studios. I've never played it, but I have the core book in dead tree format & it is jam-packed with good stuff. I'm unsure as to the size of it's fanbase, but it may be worth a shot.

I'm a mod on the Cthulutech forums, also by Catalyst, so I'm familiar with Eclipse Phase and it does indeed look pretty cool. As with any of these ideas, it takes a dedicated ST and players to make it happen. I've lost a little faith in pbp lately, even though I know that's what EON needs to survive...

I'm a mod on the Cthulutech forums, also by Catalyst, so I'm familiar with Eclipse Phase and it does indeed look pretty cool. As with any of these ideas, it takes a dedicated ST and players to make it happen. I've lost a little faith in pbp lately, even though I know that's what EON needs to survive...
Re: CthulhuTech-

And there's *another* candidate that we should consider. Can't believe that I'd forgotten about that one, given how popular it is.

Sadly, while I do have Shadowrun, I don't have Eclipse Phase or CthulhuTech. Though, I could potentially change that.

As for Scion, hmm, just to feel things out, how many people here actually know the Scion rules? Up to Demigod level? Up to God level?

Sadly, while I do have Shadowrun, I don't have Eclipse Phase or CthulhuTech. Though, I could potentially change that.
Considering that there's supposed to be former Trinity writers working on Eclipse Phase, I'd say that it's worth a look /understatement/.

CthulhuTech isn't really my cup of tea AFA roleplaying - I got my fill of utter hopelessness, despair, angst & all that back in the oWoD, thanks very much - but the mix of mecha anime tropes & Lovecraftian horror makes for some *very* absorbing reading.

BTW, Shadowrun would probably fit in well enough here.

As for Scion, hmm, just to feel things out, how many people here actually know the Scion rules? Up to Demigod level? Up to God level?
Not me, that's for certain. I've been focused on the Aeon Continuum gamelines for so long that I've just forgotten about everything else. ::tongue

Re: Another candidate-

The Mutants & Masterminds RPG, specifically the Paragons setting. I know that RPG Post hosts some M&M RPG games, but it seems too good thematically to overlook.

Oh yes, I recommend Paragons whole-heartedly. Though I should note, Paragons is less a setting and more a toolkit. It has all the pieces to assemble your pick of Aberrant-ish steel-age super or modern paranormal settings.

Oh yes, I recommend Paragons whole-heartedly. Though I should note, Paragons is less a setting and more a toolkit. It has all the pieces to assemble your pick of Aberrant-ish steel-age super or modern paranormal settings.
That's more of an advantage as anything else, AFAICT. While I enjoy the tight focus on PC origins seen in the Aeon gamelines, the Paragons "toolkit" allows considerable wiggle room for those who don't.

Re: Another pair of candidates-

Presuming that people are still playing these games, Cyberpunk 2020 & CyberGeneration from R. Talisoran Games might fit in well here. But that's just IMHO, so YMMV. ::smile

I'm familiar with Scion (up to God level), M&M (though unlike what seems to be the majority of earth's population, I don't especially care for its mechanics much - the way they break out powers is pretty cool though), and Cyberpunk 2020/Cybergeneration (CP 2020 was the first TT roleplaying game I ever played).

I've actually never heard of the other games being thrown around, except for Shadowrun of course.

I think Scion is the best candidate, personally. The setting is great, and the rules will take very little getting used to for anyone familiar with Aberrant, Trinity, Adventure!, or most other WW games for that matter. Having said that, there's no reason not to try other stuff as well.

I am familiar with basic Scion, I have the other Scion books too. I've never read M&M but if a game starts up I'll change that.

But imho the rate limiting step here is the ST.

Hmm, well, I've vaguely pondered running a Scion game before, though I never actually got around to doing it. I could *maybe* dust off one of my concepts and try running it. Be warned, I am not an incredibly experienced GM, and it'd probably end up pretty episodic, and likely "monster of the week" ish if I ran in the modern era.

I suppose to ask, which would appeal more to you all?

A Hero level game in the contemporary era, battling against titanspawn cults and miscellaneous monstery boojums that are taking advantage of the Titans having freed themselves ( Supernatural with super powers )?

Or a Demigod level game in the WWII era, battling pulpish occult Nazi schemes and mad science and whatnot?

They both sound fun to me. I like the stock setting provided by Scion, but I also like pulp a lot, so I'd be happy with either.

Well, the WWII concept isn't exactly new or divergent. Its an alternate gameplay era provided in the Scion Companion.

( which I recommend pretty heavily; aside from one pantheon and one secret society, all the stuff in the Scion Companion is quite cool )

Yeah, I have Hero, Demigod, God, Ragnarök, and the Companion. They're all pretty cool. ::biggrin

I guess I just hadn't thought of the WWII plotline as being especially 'pulpy', but then maybe that's because I haven't taken a close look at that section of the book yet. I liked the Devas and the Shen a lot, and while the Tuatha were cool, the geasa and Enech rules are just waiting for someone to come along and abuse the crap out of them. The Yankee pantheon was kind of silly.

Okay, to hopefully stir some thoughts and ideas and discussion, a few of the house rules and other elements, if I decided to run a Scion game. Starting with the mechanical, and working towards setting.

-Drawing and switching weapons is a Speed 1 action, not Speed 6. This may be unrealistic, but Scions aren't realistic, they are cinematic. Also, in my play experience, if it takes a Speed 6 action to switch weapons, no one switches weapons in combat.

-Mundane firearms do *not* get the Piercing property. Instead, Relic weapons of any kind get it for free. This is to encourage usage of Relic weapons ( melee or ranged ) rather than mundane firearms. Remember, though, Piercing only halves soak due to armor ( including various forms of natural armor ), not stamina.

-While I haven't decided on the exact details, I tend towards using some or all the Adventure rules for recovering inspiration points, and apply them to Legend. This helps deal with the issue of legend points seeming to be overly hard to replenish. Doesn't solve things for demigods and gods, who have far bigger reserves, but that matter can be left to another time.

-If a God comes on screen, for whetever reason, I don't roll dice. The scenario is handled strictly with roleplay and dramatic appropriateness. Which means, natch, gods don't appear on screen in a hero level game except for interaction or as plot devices. IOW, not often. OTOH, if a god *does* appear on screen, perhaps delivering instructions to one or more PCs, please, don't randomly decide to try and kill him. Even if it *is* Odin or Tezcatlipoca or one of the other mega bastards.

-Possible pantheons of choice for PCs: any of those in the core book, as well as the Tuatha and Celestial Bureaucracy from the Companion. The Atlanteans are off limits because they are missing and/or dead; sure, this means the books practically beg for a "lost Atlantean scion", but I'm keeping that option for my own NPC usage. Devas are off limit because, IMO, they suck hard; it would take far too much effort to rewrite them into something usable without violating half the premises of the setting. The national pantheons are off limits because they weren't written with a modern era game in mind, and as much as I like Athena's "children", I'm not going to determine what happened for all of them between WWII and the present. And no custom pantheons, because it makes my life easier.

-As far as PC concepts go, I'm flexible. However, I prefer at least some degree of heroism. Not all heroes are nice, and legitimate anti-heroes may not even be especially good, but I require a certain minimum of "go out and save the world" ness. Mainly, I'd prefer to not see too many serial killers who wear the skins of their victims, or tricksters who destroy random passers by with devil's bargains. Which doesn't mean you can't have a Scion of a distinctly evil god, I'd just prefer you not take after Daddy whole-heartedly.

1. I treat such as "negotiation between player and GM". You don't get free reign to pick your Bans, but you don't get free reign to pick *anything*. Just because it is in the book, doesn't mean I have to approve it.

2. Hmm, my first thought is to say, agreed. If Scion had a separate Dodge skill, like Exalted, maybe it'd be different.

Also, those are some *awesome* links.

-Drawing and switching weapons is a Speed 1 action, not Speed 6. This may be unrealistic, but Scions aren't realistic, they are cinematic. Also, in my play experience, if it takes a Speed 6 action to switch weapons, no one switches weapons in combat.
That seems like a rather big difference. Why not a 2 or 3 instead?
-Mundane firearms do *not* get the Piercing property. Instead, Relic weapons of any kind get it for free. This is to encourage usage of Relic weapons ( melee or ranged ) rather than mundane firearms. Remember, though, Piercing only halves soak due to armor ( including various forms of natural armor ), not stamina.
IIRC, Relic weapons scale up with the god power, while firearms do not. (Unless it's a Relic firearm, of course.) Guns will become obsolete with power.
OTOH, if a god *does* appear on screen, perhaps delivering instructions to one or more PCs, please, don't randomly decide to try and kill him. Even if it *is* Odin or Tezcatlipoca or one of the other mega bastards.
I didn't think that Odin was a mega bastard? ::confused Or is your point just "Don't try to off mom and dad because they'll squish you"?
-As far as PC concepts go, I'm flexible. However, I prefer at least some degree of heroism. Not all heroes are nice, and legitimate anti-heroes may not even be especially good, but I require a certain minimum of "go out and save the world" ness. Mainly, I'd prefer to not see too many serial killers who wear the skins of their victims, or tricksters who destroy random passers by with devil's bargains.
So, no Sylar-type scions? ::devil

That seems like a rather big difference. Why not a 2 or 3 instead?

Personal judgment. I want players to freely switch weapons, change tactics, pick up dropped or surrounding weapons, etc. So, I choose to put the least obstacle in the way of such.

IIRC, Relic weapons scale up with the god power, while firearms do not. (Unless it's a Relic firearm, of course.) Guns will become obsolete with power.

True in the long run, but not so much at the Hero level. Cutting armor soak in half is *really* useful at this point. Remember, the presence of an imbalance in the future does not make the present balanced. It just means everything is inbalanced.

I didn't think that Odin was a mega bastard? ::confused Or is your point just "Don't try to off mom and dad because they'll squish you"?

Don't tick off mom and dad is good advice, but no, Odin *totally* is a mega bastard. He just has ( reasonably ) good publicity.

So, no Sylar-type scions? ::devil

Oh, you totally could play a Sylar style monster. Its just, there's also this guy out there, goes by the name Steve Reeves these days. He generally tries to live a quiet life with his wife and kids, but he really, really hates when the gods abuse mortals.

So, you *can* play Sylar, but if so, I can't guarantee that Herakles won't notice, be offended, and decide to do something about it. :D

Every time I've tried a scion of Horus the game has collapsed on me... so I think I'm going to try Ares or Vulcan.

Personal judgment. I want players to freely switch weapons, change tactics, pick up dropped or surrounding weapons, etc. So, I choose to put the least obstacle in the way of such.
Alright.
Don't tick off mom and dad is good advice, but no, Odin *totally* is a mega bastard. He just has ( reasonably ) good publicity.
I didn't do much more than skim the demigod and god books, so obviously I missed something in there.
Oh, you totally could play a Sylar style monster. Its just, there's also this guy out there, goes by the name Steve Reeves these days. He generally tries to live a quiet life with his wife and kids, but he really, really hates when the gods abuse mortals.

So, you *can* play Sylar, but if so, I can't guarantee that Herakles won't notice, be offended, and decide to do something about it. :D

Hah, no. If the game is going to be somewhat slow paced (or at least have opportunity for those who are) I might see about revamping Coraline from Theomachy into Scion. She's not a villain, really, she just views humans as a ... renewable resource. ::cool