Matt

EON to join with RPG-Post

158 posts in this topic

Dear All,

When this site started, and for several years afterwards, Eononline was a thriving community with dozens of active members making hundreds of posts every day. As time has gone on people have drifted away and admins have come and gone. Now we have less than ten semi-active members and almost no activity. The once thriving city is now a deserted ghost town, overgronw and falling apart. It is sad, but it is the truth.

To be fair, I am surprised that we have lasted as long as we have, but entropy has had it's effect.

I am announcing that I will not be renewing the Domain when it comes up for renewal in September 2010. I will maintain the hosting until that time, but the final days are here my friends. It is not an issue of money, but rather of letting EON go. We are the oldest and most successful Aeonverse site ever and we can be proud of that achievement.

I have been proud to be admin of this site, but there is nothing I can do to reinvigorate EON anymore. So, in about 11 months this site will shut down. I will sweep the floor, put the chairs on the tables, switch off the lights and lock the door for the final time. We will then sail to join the rest of our people and journey into the West.

Jackson Creed

I'm can't say I'm surprised about this. Sad yes, but not surprised. I'm just glad that the site's held on for as long as it has - it's really helped with ebook development. At least I'll be able (if all goes well) to get the Mega-Physical ebook out before then.

Thanks for keeping the light on in here these past few years, JC. ::thumbup1

Two questions:

1- Is EON closing down in the summer of 2010 or September 2010?

2- Will you be unlocking the forums for the Inactive/Unfinished/Abandoned projects? I'm pretty sure that there's salvage-worthy material hidden away in there.

Is there a quick and easy way to make backups of specific forums (ie, Trans-D), or will I need to do it all manually?

I'm sorry to see it go. Wish I could have done more, but Real Life (that dreaded Taint-monster) interfered one too many times.

Well, that sucks.

Thanks for all your hard work to keep it alive all these years, Jackson. You and Archer and Chill before you helped bring a lot of joy to my life when I was younger, and all the players and STs on here did too. I know I'll be on here again to save copies of Quantum Zero, Warlords of Tellus and the other great old games before 2010.

Be well everyone.

Sigh...

Another one bites the dust...

It's a shame we could never get more gaming going on here. That was really the life blood. Why is it that NPrime has continued to be strong anf the Eon community has withered?

In any case, I am still not back to gaming. My new relationship I mentioned back in my last post in July fell apart after four heart wrenching months. On the bright side, my business is booming and my knee is almost 100% back to normal. I was even considering taking up PbP in a much more limited fashion (only a single game maybe 2 at most) in the coming year once I meet my goals for scheduling in excercise, currently one of the last remaining hurdles in my quest for a semblance of life balance.

I will definitely want to save the old games for posterity, to reminices upon in some future time.

It would also be nice to share some contact info for those of us who would like to keep the friendships we started here through our mutual love of writing, storytelling, and superpowers, if such a thing would be possible.

Smoke em if ya got em. ::ultracool

Well, it happens.

Thanks Jason for the hard work in keeping it up for so long, and thanks for the heads up too.

Also I got here not that long ago, I think the closing is sad :(

Perhaps we could at least make a bundle of all the free downloads and distribute them as torrent or one some file-serving site? Then they woudn't be lost for the generations to come ::smile

But say - is there any other forum occupied with Trinity, Adventure and/or Aberrant?

Perhaps we could at least make a bundle of all the free downloads and distribute them as torrent or one some file-serving site? Then they wouldn't be lost for the generations to come ::smile
Not a bad idea!
But say - is there any other forum occupied with Trinity, Adventure and/or Aberrant?
Like RPG-Post, perhaps? ::sly

Does it really *have* to close? Myself and several others pitched in before to pay the yearly upkeep.

Even one solid PbP game would make it worth sticking around...

::sad

Does it really *have* to close? Myself and several others pitched in before to pay the yearly upkeep.

Even one solid PbP game would make it worth sticking around... ::sad

I suspect that the only way to keep EON going is for someone to take it over from JC, as he did from archer21 before him. Myself, I have neither the resources nor computer skills necessary to do so. Even then, it's still likely to remain a 'ghost town' unless the site is expanded to cover more that just the Aeon Continuum games. Which is what RPG-Post has done.

I also have no comp skills or I would be willing to take it over as well. Funds aren't as issue either; I imagine all of us could chip is money for the server no problem.

As for setting up a pbp game, I've been having some serious ideas about setting one up since the local gaming community here sucks and I rarely get to play anything. I want to start a game using a modified Aberrant system and an original setting. But since traffic here is so low...

That is the chicken and egg problem.

On the other hand, I suspect that if a game did form we could attract players from other sites without too much problem. RPG's most recent abby game is wait listed with players.

And if I do start a game, wouldn't we be forced to end it or move to RPG-Post in summer 2010?

Well, the money is not the issue really, it's more a case if there is the heart anymore. That's why I've given so much notice (September 2010); if there is a way to reivigorate the community, even just a bit, then there will be a reason to stay open. I don't want to see EON close down, after all that's why I took over from Archer, but I also don't want to live in a ghost town. There is plenty of time to think of ways to regenerate the site, but in the event that doesn't happen we will still have many memories.

JC

Perhaps then, we take a shot and collaborate with the remaining stragglers here and see what we can come up with. Who is willing to play, who is willing to run a game, what ideas do we have for either.

We may get something. Stranger things have happened.

I am allowing myself a limited return to gaming, so long as I can keep it in balance and keep moving forward with my career and aspirations. In other words, I'm not going to be in 12 PbP again!!!!!

On the other hand, I have so many characters I never got to play or only briefly...

Hey BT, I hope you don't mind the nomination.

I was thinking about ideas for a new game and it sort of struck me that so many of the new games and whatnot especially at NPrime are always coming up with new twists but I have hardly ever gotten to play a more canon game.

Prometheans Unbound was awesome but I'm not really feeling like I want to ressurect it. Seems like starting with something new would bring some fresh life. We can pretty much guarantee me, Alex, Shade and maybe one or two others like Phoenix or JC.

I think it would be fun to play in the same world as Prometheans Unbound but not as Teragen per se. A more open conglomeration of Novas, or maybe even...an Aberrant faction game...I can't recall in all my time playing Abby of ever having been in a canon world Aberrant Faction game...and that sounds fun!

Of course our familiarity with the canon story means the ST would need to shuffle things around to keep us guessing but a good ST does that anyways and even still there are many untold stories waiting in the wings.

The cool thing about an Aberrant faction game is we could come together from disparate backgrounds.

Off the cuff my top character concepts would be:

1.) An Elite who gets a whiff of the conspiracy and realizes that Elites are being played against each other to thin the herd.

Or

2.) A Nova catburglar with Teragen sympathies who steals things for the thrill and challenge more than he needs the money...think the Jackal from Ocean's 12 meets Thomas from the Thomas Crown affair.

Or

3.) Something else.

I suggest we start moderately above canon norm, 40 NPs 50 tops.

Does that intrigue anyone? Most importantly, can we get Blue Thunder's interest? As I recall I had a marked influence in getting our Teragen game going and solidifying the theme. Hopefully I still got my mojo!

::sly ::wink ::cool

Oh, and I could commit to posting on average 2-3 times per week. My days of daily posting are over for now...

Grrr... I can see why this place has been called a ghost town. Between those of us who want to save the site and get a game going we are going to have to get back in the habit of checking the site every couple days and posting every 2-3....

(Sorry for my string of posts...Under normal circumstances one would just edit for the new info, but I want things to keep popping up should anyone be following this thread.)

Sorry for not checking in here the last few days. I was on a mad WoW rush for some reason. But I've chosen not to renew my subscription. Again. It's for the best. Until I decide to renew it again in a few months. I really seem to binge and purge with that game.

I've actually spent a few hours recently making rules and setting information for a game that uses the Aberrant system but is a new setting. A myth/fantasy setting in fact. It was intended for personal play with a few friends but since they are currently living out-of-state and it doesn't look like I'll be moving there anytime soon, I could run it here. It would be fine for a pbp game and I would be up for ST for it since I've recently become unemployed. And even should I become employed again (hopefully soon!) I would still have time for it.

I figure with an original setting that we create ourselves we have more freedom, both with character creation and with our actions in game. No more worrying about the inevitability of the Aberrant War and such.

I made some changes to the system like completely reworking the Backgrounds and tweaking some powers a bit so they work better (*cough*Claws+Aggravated*cough*), but generally nothing too big. Taint, Quantum, Aberrations, and Chrysalis work differently as well but not so much to be confusing. Starting Nova Points are 60. The one drastic change I made was the complete elimination of Experience Points. This works good for a pbp game because the accumulation of XP just plain takes forever and by the time you have enough to raise one stat by a single dot you've already played for several weeks. In this game stats would improve based on the actions of your character and what is roleplayed. I'm not sure if everyone would like that though...I know some people very much like the accumulation of XP and would feel cheated if they didn't get anyway. But then there are others who would prefer not having to play several games just to raise a quantum power from 3 to 4 dots.

I got the idea for the game after reading through Greek mythology material again and thought it would be cool to run an Aberrant game that was similar in theme. But then add in typical fantasy elements (which are based on the myths anyway) like different races and monsters and such, and there you go.

Thoughts?

Hmmm...

My first thought was dissapointment because I thought my Aberrant Faction game had merit and I have some perfect characters to choose from whom I've never gotten to play.

I don't have an idea ready to go for Grek Fantasy...BUT...my second thought was how cool it would be, especially since I am on a serious God oF War kick right now which gives me alot of great inspiration.

Come to think of it, it's Rome instead of Greece, but how would you feel about incorporating some of Nyxx's Nova Rome idea? Check out the thread here. I am particularly interested in adding the Steampunk dimension...

*coughs, points at the Ancient Aberrant thread* If you need ideas for alternate myth-based Aberrant games. . . *ahem*

right...well there is that. This idea has been done before but not to say BT won't bring something fresh. The Greek classics are known as such for a very good reason...

I would be up for ST for it since I've recently become unemployed.
Sorry to hear that.
I made some changes to the system like completely reworking the Backgrounds and tweaking some powers a bit so they work better (*cough*Claws+Aggravated*cough*), but generally nothing too big. Taint, Quantum, Aberrations, and Chrysalis work differently as well but not so much to be confusing. Starting Nova Points are 60.
Sounds good. Abby really did need a 2.0
The one drastic change I made was the complete elimination of Experience Points. This works good for a pbp game because the accumulation of XP just plain takes forever and by the time you have enough to raise one stat by a single dot you've already played for several weeks. In this game stats would improve based on the actions of your character and what is roleplayed. I'm not sure if everyone would like that though...I know some people very much like the accumulation of XP and would feel cheated if they didn't get anyway. But then there are others who would prefer not having to play several games just to raise a quantum power from 3 to 4 dots.
At a pen stroke this solves several problems. IMHO direct ST intervention/input into how dots are being spent is a seriously good thing.

so I have a rough outline and concept for a character. BT...perhaps you could start a new discussion topic and post the particulars of your setting and rules...then we can move forward. :)

I'll start one either later tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like we might start a game up after all. Huzzah.

If you haven't yet decided your myth setting yet then might I suggest looking at more than greek or roman settings? Both the finnish and nordic mythos traditions would also make good settings. Just food for thought.

Also, while I know the mechanics didn't go over well here, give Scion a look. It has some useful material for mythical settings of various kinds.

one of the things I like about Greco-Roman type settings over say a Nordic one is that Greece combines the best of both the Myths and Monsters with the enlightened thinking that lead to a renaissance in science and engineering so we can mix some technology or even arcanotech in with our fantasy. Iron Kingdoms is one of my favorite settings for that very reason...

Actually Greek was just my inspiration for getting the game running. Players will be free to be inspired by any kind of myth they want; Greek, Roman, Nordic, Celtic, Egyptian, Chinese, Indian, Native American, African, etc. I will be borrowing a few things from Greek and European myths and fantasy but anything is possible.

Anyway, posting the thread later tonight. I might cross-post on RPG-Net later but I want to see how many here are interested first.

I work at a domain registrar, I'll happily pay for a 10 year renewal. I don't have any experience hosting if anyone is willing to run it on their server?

and this, by the way folks, is how you rally the troops!

Long live EurOpNet!

::nicethread

and this, by the way folks, is how you rally the troops!

Long live EurOpNet!

::nicethread

So EON is saved for the moment, I take it?

That's still up to Jackson Creed, but activity has kicked up. And not *entirely* related to the Theomachy game.

Well, I'll just hope for the best & make ready for the worst. If EON survives, that will be great. Whatever happens, I'll be doing my best to get what could be the final EON fanbook converted, polished & released before Spring (much less Summer) hits the Northern Hemisphere.

What exactly is entialed in a PDF conversion? Why is it such a lengthy process?