Aberrant RPG - Morality for NWoD Aberrant

Matthew

This is something that a friend and I cooked up in a few hours. It works with a system I used so that morality, and it's tarent alternatives, can be put into the overall system. Just so people understand these alternate morality do not open up until after a Teragen character undergoes their first Chrysalis.

Feedback is welcome!

Path of the Baseline

Morality

10 Selfish Thoughts

9 Minor Selfish Act (withdrawing charity)

8 Injury of Another (accediental or otherwise)

7 Petty Theft (Shoplifting)

6 Grand Theft (burglary)

5 Intentional Mass property Damage (arson)

4 Impassioned Crime (Manslaughter)

3 Planned Crime (Murder)

2 Casual/Callus Crime (Serial Murder)

1 Utter Perversion, Heinous Acts (Mass Murder)

Path of the Marvel

Morality

10 Failing to display your greatness when an opportunity arises 9 Going a entire day with out displaying or using your powers

8 Needlessly injuring another (accidental or otherwise)

7 Petty Theft (Shoplifting)

6 Grand Theft (burglary)

5 Intentional Mass property Damage (arson)

4 Intentional not using your powers when it would be a better option to do so.

3 Showing weakness or ineptitude.

2 Casual/Callus Crime (Serial Murder)

1 Utter Perversion, Heinous Acts (Mass Murder)

For each level above seven the character maintains they receive a cumulative +1 bonus to all Nova Power rolls and Social rolls involving other Novas.

Path of the Monster

Morality

10 Player Created, with ST approval

9 Player Created, with ST approval

8 Player Created, with ST approval

7 Acknowledging your baseline self or roots..

6 Maintaining ties to baseline humans.

5 Unintentional mass property damage

4 Failing to show your dominance over humans.

3 Allowing your baseline fears to influence your behavior

2 Failing to control your feral instincts.

1 Allowing a human to get the better of you for any reason.

The Path of the Monster is incredibly exacting and personal and this is why the last three levels are based on the individual character's perspective on their evolution rather than a universal dogma. A great canon example of this is Greyon's unwillingness to kill other novas. These high end prohibitions should be fairly exacting and very character defining.

For each level above seven the character maintain they receive a cumulative +1 bonus to intimidation checks. Additional, for every dot of mortality they maintain above seven the Monster is considered to have a Willpower rating one higher for all purposes.

Path of the Portent

Morality

10 Failing to point out another person's flaws

9 Going more than a day with out pushing the limits of your powers.

8 Unwilling to explore the unknown when given the opportunity.

7 Failing to indulge your Virtue/Vice or uphold your Nature.

6 Taking an action whose consequences hamper your own or another's enlightenment.

5 Intentional mass property damage (arson)

4 Impassioned crime (Manslaughter)

3 Acting with out considering the consequences

2 Failing to acknowledge your own flaws

1 Allowing a baseline human to out think you.

For each level above seven the character maintains they receive a cumulative +1 bonus to all mental skills.

An interesting mechanical conceit, but it doesn't really mesh well with the underlying design philosophy behind the WoD2.0 Morality system. One would note, for example, that the only game lines where you *don't* follow Morality at least as much as a baseline human, are the ones by Ethan "Fuck You" Skemp. Outside that, the rule is "you can't get away from basic morality, trying to do so leads to Bad Things."

That said, I could see the potential in having a *separate* morality track in addition to Morality, representing your dedication to a nova idealization ( not necessarily Teras ). This wouldn't free you from suffering Morality decay, but rather, would create the potential for conflict that fits the actual setting ( after all, with few exceptions, most characters don't exactly dive head first into abandoning their humanity without a lot of bumps and turns on the way ). It would, however, mean that most novas with a highly developed Teras Path rating would also have low enough a Morality that they'd likely have an interesting array of Derangements. :)

The whole system is still being flushed out which has a tremendous impact on it's viability on the whole.

I am not for having 2 different moral tracks. Especially if it ends up with the fact that Terants end up having derangements, because the who reason of Teras is to keep from going Insane.

I acknowledge that work needs to be done on them.

For each level above seven the character maintains they receive a cumulative +1 bonus to all Nova Power rolls and Social rolls involving other Novas.

Wait, so if I'm at morality 10 (not showing off), I'm at +3 diff on power rolls.... but if I'm at morality 1 (mass murderer) I'm just ducky?

Archived