Trinity RPG - Post-Nuke Trinity

Captether

Been pondering what the trinity setting would be like if, China had to nuke the planet. It would make for a very neat setting I think.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Some thoughts and Tidbits:

People: Humans would survive, though most would like in small, isolated regions. Like the Blight Zone, but everywhere...

Surviving Novas: Some would survive, mostly through dumb luck or extraordinary planning. Very few would survive anywhere near a nuke strike, though some might.

Divis Mal: This guy could survive a nuke, though it would likely hurt him. That and coordinated strikes from other Novas might put him down. Of perhaps Mercer might get involved...

Aeon: These folks would have to get involved. The Babel Dossier as well as hidden and protected fascilities would give them a unique responsibility here.

China: China would likely be the top existing Earth government. Even in RL, China has massive underground fascilities in case of nuclear war. That and the huge space fleet that launched the nukes.

Mutation: Sub-aberrant style mutants would outnumber Novas in the grim years to come. A New Flesh will present several options for mutant PCs.

Radiation and Nukes: By the time of the ultimatum, I imagine all kinds of horrible weapons will have been developed, some designed specifically for Novas. This guy came up with the following damage for Nukes:

Warhead

10KT (0.01MT), Effect 18[30], Expected damage 37.2

100KT (0.1MT), Effect 36[60], Expected damage 74.4

11000KT (1 MT), Effect 72[120], Expected damage 148.8

10,000KT (10MT), Effect 144[240], Expected damage 297.6

100,000KT (100MT), Effect 288[480], Expected damage 595.2

IPB Image

Actually, quite a few novas would survive. Sure, the lower soak ones would die if they are near a nuclear impact sight, but the higher end ones would survive anything not involving carpet nuking, and there's no way to actually saturate the whole surface anyway.

And Divis Mal would *definitely* survive, as no weapon yet developed by baselines could even muss his hair. No, seriously.

If the novas called the bluff, and found it wasn't a bluff? You'd end up with scattered surviving human populations, and a reduced population of particularly tough novas battling it out over the wasteland, whether out of insanity or ideologies stressed by the end of civilization.

I dont like the "untouchable NPC" stuff. Mal would have stats, as would Pax. Though powerful, having him be unstoppable to PCs is too metaplot for me. But I realize hes supposed to be unstoppable.

That said, with a devestated Earth, would Mal and company leave?

The culture coming back, perhaps with the help of non taint-mad novas, could make for a neat campaign. Not the same as standard Trinity of course. No returning Novas, because some would still be around.

Novas and sub-aberrants, devestated wastelend, isolated human enclaves, Mad Max gangs and pockets of hypertech. Lots to play with here.

I would love to hear thoughts on this concept.

Mal isn't untouchable, because he doesn't have stats. He's untouchable, because he's actually that powerful. And honestly, even people like Caestus Pax can bounce nukes off their skin, and would need to be pinged to death via nuclear bombardment to kill by main force.

Does this mean Mal is impossible to defeat? Nope. In fact, the ending of the Aberrant War *is* how he was defeated: the threat of total nuclear annihilation of the planet was sufficient, along with other factors, to convince him that it was time for nova kind to leave. Not because it would kill him, but because it would bring his goals and ideals to a crashing halt, in ways he couldn't reliably stop.

( and why couldn't he? Because by this point, there were probably enough powerful novas in support of the extreme method of ending the Aberrant War? That they could interfere with his countermeasures enough for nuclear death to still happen. Presuming Mal even cared to try stopping it, as opposed to exploiting it as leverage to get nova kind off its ass and off Earth, which I think is more likely. )

With the information given I've tried making estimations of Mal's soak and usually end up in the mid 3 digits with a low end version. Worse, I think we had a developer say at one point that nuke damage would probably be like 100d.

And supposedly he didn't exactly *lose* in the war. He created his own universe (or split our universe in two and kept the good stuff for himself or something) and left.

But I like the post nuke setting a lot. We're wrapping up a game that did this on NPrime.

It should be noted that there are, in fact, canon nuclear warhead stats in Trinity: 18d10[30] lethal, for the fusion warheads on heavy antiship missiles.

Even if you assume that's only a 1 kiloton detonation ( which, honestly, would be a bit small for space usage ), that would leave even the biggest, scariest nuclear warhead as being 100L or less. And by that I mean, the Tsar Bomba or something similar. Which I note, would be capable of wiping the British Isles clear of life if airburst over them.

So, its not like you need some Q6 powerhouse to survive nuclear blasts. Powerful defense-oriented Q5s can do so as well, at least versus smaller nukes ( Hiroshima level ). Andy Vance certainly can.

The post-nuke setting that's been outlined sounds pretty good, if limited in focus to Earth. I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple off-world colonies set up by non-Taint-mad novas & their baseline allies on Luna, Mars & in the Belt. Given the early invention of pseudo-gravity by a nova inventor, there's no reason why groups like the Protectors & Daedelus League wouldn't have survived to the 2120s in pretty good shape.

That would also give access to reliable space travel to other groups than just China, whose ambition of making Mars a strictly Chinese planet would not only be foiled but likely made impossible thanks to the Protectors. Heck, Mars might even be terraformed to some degree in this alternate setting, allowing settlers an easier time of making a living on the Red Planet.

OTOH, even if there *are* baseline and/or nova societies elsewhere, they'd probably steer clear from Earth. Why?

Because the psychological impact of nuclear armageddon on those novas still walking its aftermath, probably means *everyone* went a little more insane, and got a little more tainted. Thus, its not safe in the slightest, even for nova visitors.

OTOH, even if there *are* baseline and/or nova societies elsewhere, they'd probably steer clear from Earth. Why?

Because the psychological impact of nuclear armageddon on those novas still walking its aftermath, probably means *everyone* went a little more insane, and got a little more tainted. Thus, its not safe in the slightest, even for nova visitors.

That would make a good excuse for why Novas erupting in the post-nuke setting would be high-taint.

Well, you don't *really* need a separate excuse than normal, as all the factors that made Trinity-era Earth a high taint zone would still apply. That said, there might be a *slight* improvement in the state of being for new eruptees. They may start with more taint than is really comfortable, but they aren't starting off in a world in which being a nova is a crime that gets giant robots sent to kill you. And whatever humans they were among, there's a slightly higher chance they'll accept somebody who is monstrous, but can increase their ability to survive.

Something of great interest to me is the environment. Theres alot of debate on the result of a nuclear exchange, but Nuclear Winter is the most popular.

Nuclear Winter

A global average surface cooling of –7°C to –8°C persisting for years, and after a decade the cooling is still –4°C (last ice age was about –5°C). This cooling would likely cause a drop in global precipitation by 45%. Food production would be greatly reduced.

So we ges an ass-cold, irradiated desert world, with sparse plant life. Of course, with all of the terraforming tech that has been developed, one could say that Utopia was preparing for something...

IPB Image

Some storytelling concepts:

Domed Cities: Arcologies sealed from outside extremes would be needed for technologically advanced civilizations. These would be where entire civilizations dwelled, producing their own food from internal farms. Some may be completely buried.

Wastelands: Pretty much everywhere. Irradiated arctic environment, haunted by hostile tribes, mutants and "ghosts" (psychic entities perhaps?).

Food: Food production would be a huge concern for everyone. Even Novas have to eat (more than baselines), and in these conditions most folks would starve pretty fast. Cannnibalism would be all over the place (long-pork to soylent green), as would massive efforts to create useable food stock that could survive in the new ecology.

Terraforming: Both from human/nova efforts and from the mad plots of certain novas. Some garden zones may exist with alien growths of mutated plants and animals. Taint forests might be an interesting thought here.

I am so looking forward to "The New Flesh" to come out. Theres all kinds of stuff in there that will be perfect for this setting.

Psions: Would there be psions? Psychomorphs certainly, but I cant see the Doyen wanting to get too close. I would prefer using Psychomorphs here rather than the Psi orders.

Aeon/Trinity: Theyve been squirreling away tech and knowledge for a long time. I could see them coming forward as they do in mainline Trinity, to help out. Their own reserve of supers, Novas, Psions and perhaps Paramorphs would be very useful.

Nations: Who would retain stability enough to exist in this setting? Would it be pretty much like in Trinity? Nippon and China seem likely, as well as Africa and Australia. Others I could see degenerating into small city-states and savagery.

Nova Nations: All nova cultures. Though baseline and sub-aberrant slaves ala Khantze Lu Ge would also be likely. Novas who arent crazy might have civilizations here as well.

Space Concerns

As noted, Aberrant extraterrestrial colonies will be present. And with the powers available to these beings as well as human desperation, real terraforming is possible.

Mars: I could see Mars being massivly terraformed by the Trinity era. It might still be pretty dry in many places, but a few dozen re-routed comets and some quantum hoo-doo and youve got a liveable planet.

Venus: Cloud cities and zeppelin-like airships ply the acidic clouds of this hothouse world, as terraforming operations take place.

Jupiter and her Moons: Theres alot of real-estate here. Gas mining from floating cities on Jupiter to more "Earth-like" colonies on terraformed biodomes on the moons.

The Moon: Canon states that in the early stages of the Aberrant War, the Space Brigade and its baseline agents seized the Lunar colonies. It is reasonable that in this version of things that this Space Brigade and its baseline cadets continued to develope the Moon.

The Space Brigade

A powerful space fleet of Aberrants and Aberrant servant baselines. Really far-out tech is possible here, though what baselines have access to will be the standard hard-tech of Trinity.

Aliens

Since noetic energies and Taint are poor bedmates, other alien races may be needed here. The Zeps are a neat possibility, as are a host of new races.

Nukes

Here is an interesting website that shows the scale of damage from various types of nuclear weapons using Google maps and JavaScript. Everyone knows that nuclear weapons are huge powerful explosions, but it is hard to imagine the actual scale of it. Overlaying the nuclear destruction on a map your familiar with will certainly give you a good idea of how destructive these weapons can be. Kind of scary. Anyway, thought some of you might find it interesting.

RE: Global Cooling

Only for about 10 years or less.

I'll add to that list of ST concepts, "two generations later". It's been 50+ years since the great burn, obviously your parents or grand parents survived. You grew up among the ruins.

Add to that list of problems "Aberrants", i.e. so called "3rd generation" types or just people who never should have erupted to begin with. So warped and crazy they're basically animals... but still absurdly dangerous.

A few interesting notes on the Space Concerns.

1- AFAICT, the 2 major problems that the Space Brigade had with baseline Lunar inhabitants in the canon timeline is A) the lack of pseudo-gravity and the consequent problem of LAO (Lunar Aggravated Osteoporosis) & B) a severe lack of skilled diplomatic relations between the Space Brigade & baseline population. Having the Space Brigade introduce pseudo-gravity ASAP would allow for warmer relations between the two than is canon.

2- Last I knew, we had confirmed word from one of the developers that Enkidu & his fellow benevolent sapient gorillas had been living quite well in an aerial colony on Venus since end of the Adventure! Era. Their reaction to baseline and/or nova settlers coming to colonize what the gorillas most likely consider *their* world is not known.

3- According to the canon timeline, Mars has a native microbial biosphere which should have interesting effects on nova terraforming efforts, provided that they aren't wiped out or rendered harmless/beneficial via the use of Ecological Supremacy.

4- Jupiter's moon Europa may/may not have native aquatic lifeforms as described in Trinity Field Report: Oceania.

RE: Global Cooling

Only for about 10 years or less.

I'll add to that list of ST concepts, "two generations later". It's been 50+ years since the great burn, obviously your parents or grand parents survived. You grew up among the ruins.

Add to that list of problems "Aberrants", i.e. so called "3rd generation" types or just people who never should have erupted to begin with. So warped and crazy they're basically animals... but still absurdly dangerous.

10 years of global cooling is enough to starve out a big percentage of the global population and wiping out loads of plant and animal life. I love using the 50+ years scenario, with characters playing those who grew up in the ruins.

Clone (2point flaw): The character is a clone, a copy of someone else. Everything that you are and can ever be belongs to someone else, or so they tell you. Most people who have clones made of them don’t do it for the clones benefit (or even think of the clones as having rights). Perhaps the character was meant to be a potential organ donor, or a love slave, a test subject, or perhaps something worse, whatever the reason it seems that the character can never be her own.

Ruin Rat/Waster (4 point Flaw): You have spent most of your life living in a ruined city or in the wastelands. Life was hard and brutal while you were growing up; food was always hard to come by, life was cheap, and quite often things would go hunting for human flesh.

This took its toll on you, both physically and mentally. Either your Strength, Stamina or Appearance has a maximum score of 4 due to malnutrition and disease growing up, and you start with 2 fewer skill dots than everyone else. However, you have +1 die to any Endurance, Resistance, Streetwise or Survival rolls when in your home environment.

3rd Gen Aberrants: Third-generation Aberrants are those who have erupted since the Aberrant War. These "mutants" are an ever-present danger to baselines and weaker Novas, as their unpredictability and powers make than dangerous foes. These are made the same as standard Aberrants, with the following changes:

Backgrounds: No Eufiber.

Nova Points: 12

Quantum: 1 with a maximim permanent Quantum of 4.

Taint: 1 and raised whenever Quantum is raised. Quantum and powers cannot ever be purchased tainted for lowered cost.

Mutants: Rules for creating sub-aberrants and mutant animals are in the Breed Apart e-book, otherwise I would post rules here.

A few interesting notes on the Space Concerns.

1- AFAICT, the 2 major problems that the Space Brigade had with baseline Lunar inhabitants in the canon timeline is A) the lack of pseudo-gravity and the consequent problem of LAO (Lunar Aggravated Osteoporosis) & B) a severe lack of skilled diplomatic relations between the Space Brigade & baseline population. Having the Space Brigade introduce pseudo-gravity ASAP would allow for warmer relations between the two than is canon.

2- Last I knew, we had confirmed word from one of the developers that Enkidu & his fellow benevolent sapient gorillas had been living quite well in an aerial colony on Venus since end of the Adventure! Era. Their reaction to baseline and/or nova settlers coming to colonize what the gorillas most likely consider *their* world is not known.

3- According to the canon timeline, Mars has a native microbial biosphere which should have interesting effects on nova terraforming efforts, provided that they aren't wiped out or rendered harmless/beneficial via the use of Ecological Supremacy.

4- Jupiter's moon Europa may/may not have native aquatic lifeforms as described in Trinity Field Report: Oceania.

1-Is there a writeup of LAO and its symptoms?

The journey to counter such negative effects could make for some great setting spice. Grav crystals sound like Nova Tech to me, or at least inspired by Nova powers. However before this was achieved, there might have been all kinds of efforts to suitable alter the threat to baselines. Cybernetics, genetic alteration and/or medical treatments are all possibilities.

2-THAT sounds like a great way to introduce an "alien" race to the setting. They must have something to counter lower gravity. Or might they have adapted?

3/4-Yet more alien species to bring into the tale.

Some more Merits and Flaws

All except fotr the Elgee (from the Trinity Players Guide), I originally made for the Melleniums Edge campaign setting way-back-when. I think these could all work fine for characters in this setting.

Albino (3pt flaw)

Albinism is a fairly common occurance amongst those born and raised in underground warrens or in deep space habitats. Characters with this flaw suffer form exposure to sunlight as though it were soft radiation.

Elgee (3 point Flaw)

You were born in low gravity (e.g. a lesser tera-formed asteroid, a space station) and spent the first two decades of your life in such conditions. As a result, your skeleton and muscles are poorly adapted to higher gravity. Such characters are always thin, and are usually tall and “stretched” looking.

All physical based Attribute roll are made at +2 difficulty when you are on a planet with Earth-normal or heavier gravity. Additionally, your bones are more fragile -- any blunt trauma inflicted on you increases by one die, whether it’s bashing or lethal damage. However, you’re used to low gravity; any dice pool penalties are negated if you’re in a gravitational field similar to what you are used to.

Hairless (1pt flaw)

The character has absolutely no body hair.

Water Storage (2pt merit)

The character has a hump like that of a camel (though not as extreme) between her shoulder blades allowing the character to go four times as long as standard without water. This hump also gives the character a broad shouldered (though hunched) look.

Suboid Intellect (3pt flaw)

The character has been genetically conditioned to be of lower intellect than others. Such characters require double the normal point cost to raise his/her/its intelligence score (build, freebies, experience, and Transformation), and cannot ever have more than two dots in any Mental ability.

Light sensitivity (1pt flaw)

Perhaps the character is adapted to an underground or nighttime existence. Whatever the reason the character is extremely sensitive to bright light, suffering a +1 to the difficulty of all Perception rolls when in bright light.

Hermaphrodite (2-3pt flaw)

The character has the physical features and organs of both the male and female gender. The 2pt variety of this flaw is only reproductive in one of the genders though sterility is common. While the 3pt variety is fully reproductive as both sexes, and yes this means that a careless hermaphrodite can get itself pregnant!

1-Is there a writeup of LAO and its symptoms?
Check out Trinity: Luna Rising. AFA game mechanics, the Elgee Flaw covers it.
2-THAT sounds like a great way to introduce an "alien" race to the setting. They must have something to counter lower gravity. Or might they have adapted?
Considering they were capable of Super-Science from all accounts, I wouldn't put discovering pseudo-gravity a century or more early past them.
Mutants: Rules for creating sub-aberrants and mutant animals are in the Breed Apart e-book, otherwise I would post rules here.
Incorrect! Those rules will be found in Aberrant: The New Flesh (In Chapter One, to be precise), which is the Physical Mega-Attribute ebook. Aberrant: A Breed Apart only has rules for nova reproduction & second generation novas.
3rd Gen Aberrants: Third-generation Aberrants are those who have erupted since the Aberrant War. These "mutants" are an ever-present danger to baselines and weaker Novas, as their unpredictability and powers make than dangerous foes. These are made the same as standard Aberrants, with the following changes:

Backgrounds: No Eufiber.

Nova Points: 12

Quantum: 1 with a maximum permanent Quantum of 4.

Taint: 1 and raised whenever Quantum is raised. Quantum and powers cannot ever be purchased tainted for lowered cost.

You might want to look at the rules for creating sub-aberrants (erroneously known in Trinity as third generation aberrants) in Aberrant: The New Flesh, Chapter One. As part of the Development Team, you *do* have access to the material in the Mega-Physical Project forum.

Incorrect! Those rules will be found in Aberrant: The New Flesh (In Chapter One, to be precise), which is the Physical Mega-Attribute ebook. Aberrant: A Breed Apart only has rules for nova reproduction & second generation novas.

You might want to look at the rules for creating sub-aberrants (erroneously known in Trinity as third generation aberrants) in Aberrant: The New Flesh, Chapter One. As part of the Development Team, you *do* have access to the material in the Mega-Physical Project forum.

Whoops! I meant The New Flesh. ::blush

I thought sub-aberrants were different than 3rd generation Aberrants. Sub-abbies being the product of direct Nova tinkering and 3rd gens being high taint Novas. I can see that the differences are probably irrelevent, as both are "mutant" than Nova.

And yes, I have read most of the New Flesh material. And loved it all.

And yes, I have read most of the New Flesh material. And loved it all.
Thank you. :)
I thought sub-aberrants were different than 3rd generation Aberrants. Sub-abbies being the product of direct Nova tinkering and 3rd gens being high taint Novas. I can see that the differences are probably irrelevent, as both are "mutant" than Nova.
There's a large amount of conflicting information on this subject. Basically the root cause is different opinions among the developers and/or retroactive developer changes.

Psions are pretty weak by nova standards (but they were created before novas were defined).

But we have psion squads talking about how they have put down multiple novas without causalities.

Supposedly a few thousand novas came close to taking over the planet.

Supposedly they're back and threatening the planet again.

They're outnumbered 100 to 1 by the psions.

They're insane.

We have sample nova powers (defined in Trinity) which are pretty much the same as Psions.

The Psions have serious backup, including government support... and armies... and nukes.

But the Psions are probably losing the war if we look at what's actually happened.

And then we have Aberrant come out where we find out that the basic nova package is pretty darn impressive... and further generations of novas get even more powerful.

The only way to really make all this information make sense is there's a lot of confusion among the Trinity authorities. The so called "3rd generation" was more a reflection of timing than genology, i.e. they are the so called "sub-aberrants", and they're roughly as powerful as the psions.

Thus when you have a Trinity Psion Solider brag about how he's personally killed three aberrants, we have to understand what he's talking about are warped baselines and not guys with nodes.

The real novas are the guys with nodes and the ones that Trinity has to send armies out after with the understand that lots of people are going to die... with the possibility that nukes might have to be used.

Dont want to post *giveaways* here, so I will dance around it.

So 3rd gen Aberrants and Sub-Abbies are the same type of critter, even though they could be the result of any number of things.

For those wishing to stick closely to the Trinity setting (not using Aberrant systems), I suggest the following rules:

Character Creation: As a "Normal" Human (Trinity 169), but with the following changes:

Advantages: Sub-Aberrants choose any three powers from the list below.

Finishing Touches: 3 Willpower, 0 Psi, Taint ([sta + Wits + Cha/2]).

Armor: A tough resiliant skin that gices the Aberrant a reptilian appearance. This armor has a rating of [2/5' 0].

Burning: The Aberrant can surround himself with a corona of energy, razor-sharp bony spines, or some other all-over defense. The effect costs a point of Taint to manifest for a scene, but deals half the Aberrant's Taint in Lethal damage to anyone touching him. Also, any non-energy weapon used to attack the Aberrant has its damage reduced by two. The Aberrant cannot wear armor.

Claws: Wicked talons tip the Aberrant's fingers, tentacles, or other primary manipulators. This could also be an energy field or any other rationale for the Aberrant dealing Strength Lethal damage. Every two points of Taint (rounding up) deal an additional point of damage (so an Aberrant with 7 Taint would deal Strength + 4 Lethal damage). These claws do not hinder the function of the Aberrant’s hands.

Enhanced Reflexes: The Aberrant's nervous system (or what passes for one) conducts signals far faster than the human equivalent. The Aberrant doubles all movement rates, and can take two independent actions each turn. The Aberrant can channel additional actions at a rate of one action per point of Taint, though each action taken in this way deals a level of unsoakable Bashing damage to the Aberrant.

Extra Limbs: This Aberrant has more than the normal four limbs. While Tentacles covers the replacement of a limb with a mass of tentacles, extra limbs come in addition to the normal human four. Every extra arm lowers the dice pool penalty for multiple physical actions by one die. An extra set of legs doubles the Aberrant's movement rates.

Growth: Stimulating cellular growth or shunting taint energies into mass allows the Aberrant to grow to terrifying proportions. Spend a point of Taint to grow up to three times normal size. Every multiplier of normal size adds +2 to the Aberrant's Strength and Stamina (and can take these above 5 dots), but adds one to dice pools to hit the Aberrant. Further uses of this power are not cumulative.

Modes: Several Aberrant powers can be represented using psionic Modes. This power can be purchased multiple times, representing "dots" in the desired Mode.

Natural Weapon: One of the Aberrant's manipulator appendages has been grossly altered to deal incredible amounts of damage. Whether it is constantly emitting hard radiation or changed into a diamond-hard lobster claw, the limb deals damage equivalent to the Claws power, but with a vehicle-scale damage add of one half the Aberrant's Taint, rounded down. The limb cannot be used as a normal manipulator.

Regeneration: The Aberrant possesses an incredible healing capacity, allowing it to recover two Bashing or one Lethal Health Level each turn.

Sealed Systems: The Aberrant does not need to breathe and is adapted to survive in a vacuum. This provides no extra protection against attacks but renders the Aberrant immune to gas, suffocation and the effects of pressure extremes. The Aberrant also suffers no penalties for orientation when fighting in microgravity.

...Is this too clunky?

Looks like you're going by the Trinity interpretation of sub-aberrants, which only makes sense. ::laugh One point though: the sad critters you've described are a far cry from Trog second generation novas - you can find the details in Aberrant: A Breed Apart.

Okay. Below is the revised "Mutant" for the setting, representing whatever grey area of tainted freaks are out there in the wastes. Its based on Finbars Mucho Alien Races postings, though altered somewhat.

These rules allow for potent, but often sad mutants to populate the setting. They are powerful enough to give a real headache to baseline opponents, but not so powerful that thay cannot be killed or enslaved. In-fact, I feel that the enslavement and abuse of captured mutants would make for a great storyline. Oppressed mutants being forced to serve baseline masters, but yearning for freedom.

Mutants

Character Creation: As a "Normal" Human (Trinity 169), but with the following changes:

Advantages: His scrambled DNA allows a mutant to choose any two mutation options below. Mutant characters cannot have both options 2 and 3.

Disadvantages: Mutants must take mental and physical limitations totaling six points. These mutations do not count towards the character's limits on flaws, nor do they gain him points.

Finishing Touches: 3 Willpower, 0 Psi, Taint ([sta + Wits + Cha]/2). Taint allows for "Taint Attunement" rolls to locate other mutants or to detect tainted areas, as per psion attunement checks (Trinity; pages 191--192), though concerning Taint rather than psi. Mutants are immune to taint diseases because of their use of taint energies.

1) +6 Attribute Points and +10 Ability dots; two attributes may be raised up to 6, and three abilities may be raised up to 6, otherwise a max of five.

2) Gain three dots of psi abilities; the character is limited to six modes, and up to 3 in any particular mode (this is a permanent limit); the character’s Taint score is used instead of psi.

3) Gain 5 points worth of Body Modifications or Quantum Powers. Use the mutants Taint score and points in place of Quantum pools or point expenditure.

4) 8 points that may split between Soak, Initiative, and Willpower. Willpower may not exceed 10, and Soak is +X/+(X/2) (Bashing/Lethal; X=points spent). Spend on a 1:1 basis. Increased soak always has some physical sign, such as scales, leathery skin or a carapace.

5) +10 points of merits.

But what about cool mutations like tentacles, gills, claws and wings? Purchasing psi abilities can handle that, and can be made permanent in the same way.

Two sample mutants using the gang member from Aberrant:

Brute

IPB Image

Big, hideous mutant with a mean temper. These sorts resemble the mutant cannibals from The Hills Have Eyes in form and behavior. They come out of the stark hills, murdering, raping and eating travelers and villagers.

Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 3, Stamina 6, Appearance 0, Charisma 3, Manipulation 2, Perception 3, Intelligence 1, Wits 2.

Abilities: Awareness 3, Athletics 3, Brawl 4, Might 6, Melee 4, Intimidation 2, Endurance 6, Resistance 6, Survival 5

Backgrounds: Allies (the "family") 4, Mentor 3,

Advantages: Willpower 3, Taint 4,

Powers: Body Armor (2/3,0), with Stamina and half-stamina Lethal soak (8/6,0).

Flaws: Disfigured, Vengeful, Intolerance.

Possessions Coveralls, backpack, dried meat, canteen, axe (10d10L)

Big Brain

This mutant has an enlarged skull and brain and withered body, but possessing psychic powers. Because of its powers and intellect, this mutant can be a considerable threat, as it often will lead bands of other mutant and human raiders.

Attributes: Strength 1, Dexterity 2, Stamina 3, Appearance 0, Charisma 3, Manipulation 3, Perception 5, Intelligence 5, Wits 5.

Abilities: Awareness 6, Command 5, Computer 4, Firearms 2, Investigation 2, Linguistics 2, Meditation 2, Rapport 6, Savvy 1, Science 1, Technology 2

Backgrounds: Contacts 2, Resources 4

Advantages: Willpower 4, Taint 8

Powers: Telesthesia 3 (Sense Mastery, Danger Sense, Sensory Projection)

Flaws: Disability (Str), Disfigured (Hydrocephalus).

Possessions: Hideout, cheap minicomp, simple clothes, autopistol.

I suggest Nova generation rules would be more towards street level types... and every point of taint results in another aberration (or as you said, every point of quantum).
That would just be for novas erupting Earthside, correct? AFAICT, novas erupting amongst the baseline colonies on Luna, Mars & elsewhere would have the benefit of a healthier environment & would be less Tainted/more powerful.

That would just be for novas erupting Earthside, correct?
Ya.
AFAICT, novas erupting amongst the baseline colonies on Luna, Mars & elsewhere would have the benefit of a healthier environment & would be less Tainted/more powerful.
Healthier, MUCH less tainted... and probably less powerful.

Pre-Divis novas were weak.

It likely depends on how many existing novas populate each locale. There's never been any suggestion that the new eruptees on Eden, say, were any weaker for it. So, if Luna has the Space Brigade in residence, they'll likely have eruption power levels somewhat closer to the peak level than, say, a Jovian moon that has a hundred thousand colonists and the nearest nova being multiple AUs away.

Power Levels: Power levels are tricky, but personally I would prefer that Novas be in the 12 nova point range in the post-Mal era. Such characters would be pretty mortal, but would have some really cool tech to play around with.

Nova Relations: Even though many Novas are likely to have set off into deep space or even into Mals created universe, many are likely to continue interacting to some extent with baselines. If so, we could use the "Benevolent Despotism" model of Eden for how the societies of Nova/baseline colonies. I would even go so far as to have the relatives of Novas have a certain elevation of fortunes (ie a Noble class) as their bloodline has what it takes to erupt.

Mutants: There are several ways we can handle this. For those using the Merit/Flaw system, well chosen merits and flaws are an easy way to make mutants, from Dwarfism, Elgees, and more extreme cases being possible. There is also the sub-aberrant rules that will be presented in A New Flesh.

Awhile ago, I had handled mutants with the following system:

Mutants

Mutants are created as Normal Humans, but gain 2 nova points for every dot in Taint the baseline takes. These nova points are restricted to buying Armor, Body Modifications (see additional body mods below), Claws, Sensory Shield, and bonus Attribute/Ability points. Mutants are not taken out of play for high taint.

Mutants using this template will have some definite perks, but hardly be earth shaking.

Mutants

Below are some samples of sub aberrant mutants using baseline character creation with the "Taint for Nova Points" angle added:

Razorgirl

IPB Image

A woman covered in porcupine-like spines and with a feral visage. Razorgirl is all the more disturbing because of her desire for sex, and is unconcerned if the answer from her chosen mates is no.

Nature: Bravo

Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Stamina 4, Appearance 4, Charisma 2, Manipulation 1, Perception 4, Intelligence 2, Wits 5

Abilities: Athletics 4, Awareness 3, Computer 3, Investigation 2, Martial Arts 3, Melee 4, Might 3, Stealth 4, Streetwise 3,

Backgrounds: Allies 4 (cult), Contacts 2

Advantages: Willpower 7, Taint 5 (Aberrant Eyes, Hormonal Imbalance/Lust).

Powers: Claws 2 (Armor Piercing) (6), Spines (2), +6 Attribute Points.

Soak: 4B/3L

Health Levels: OK, -1, -1,-2, -4, Inc, Dead.

Mongo

IPB Image

Classic huge, stupid brute. Mongo appears as a lumpen human covered in a thick, warty hide and possessing great strength.

Nature: Follower

Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 2, Stamina 4, Appearance 2, Charisma 2, Manipulation 2, Perception 3, Intelligence 1, Wits 3

Abilities: Athletics 3, Awareness 5, Brawl 5, Investigation 3, Melee 3, Might 5, Stealth 2, Streetwise 3,

Backgrounds: Allies 3 (cult), Contacts 3

Advantages: Willpower 5, Taint 6 (Sheer Hideousness, Radioactive).

Powers: Extra Health Levels (+1 Bruised, +2 Maimed) (2), Armor 3 (9), Sensory Shield 3 (3)

Soak: 13B/11L

Health Levels: OK, OK, -1, -1,-1, -1, -2, -4, Inc, Dead.

Man-Squid

IPB Image

Looks like a cthuloid monster covered in writhing tentacles, no longer has discernible human anatomy, though some human "bits" may be present.

Nature: Survivor

Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 4, Appearance 4 (grotesque), Charisma 2, Manipulation 1, Perception 3, Intelligence 2, Wits 3

Abilities: Athletics 4, Awareness 3, Brawl 4, Intimidation 4, Might 3, Stealth 5, Streetwise 3, Survival 3,

Backgrounds: Allies 4 (cult), Contacts 2

Advantages: Willpower 3, Taint 6 (Sheer Hideousness, Tentacles).

Powers: Adhesive Grip (2), Claws (1), 4 Extra Limbs (4), Slimy Skin (2), Space Worthy (3).

Health Levels: OK, -1, -1,-2, -4, Inc, Dead.

I like the lack of symmetry in that last picture. What movie is the spine-girl from?

That girl is from Nightbreed, a gal by the name of Shun Sassi. In the scene depicted above, she used her feminine wiles to lull a human enemy into lowering his gun so she could kill him with her spines.

But how do you feel about the system?

Other Subjects

Global Environment

Nuclear Winter, followed by Nuclear Summer. The Earth is now largely irradiated badlands, hot, pretty dry in most places, and with significant ozone loss.

Thanks to the efforts of eco-friendly Novas (some of whom are not even remotely human in cast or mentality), the worst extent of runaway climate change has been tempered, and the ecosystem gaining in stability. Still, the Earth is a wild place, with vast desert regions and agressive plant and animal/mutant life.

Religion

Earth-side religion varies from region to region, with versions of Christianity, Buddhism. Islam and assorted forms of Nature Worship are to be found. On Earth and amongst the colonies, The Cult of Mal and other Nova Cults are fairly widespread.

Ideas: Transhumanist group seeking Nova-hood. Using cybernetics etc to transcend human limits.

Let me guess, amongst novas there is a belief that, one day, Divis Mal will return, once novakind has proven itself worthy of his grace? ;-)

I could see his most ardent followers following Mal into his own universe. If he allowed it of course. But sure; I could see such a belief/hope, especially amongst baseline Divisians.

I like both the setting and the system. Mad Max with street level novas.

Oh yeah! Mad max is perfect for this setting.

Other excellent inspirations:

A Boy and His Dog: Post Apocalyptic setting with psychic dogs and buried cities guarded by robots.

IPB Image

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone: This movie is a childhood favorite of mine. Loads of great ideas, and ambitious (I didnt say good) special effects. Molly Ringwald is in it, but try not to hold that against the movie. Mutants, killer cyborg babies (pictured below), and loads of neat scenes.

IPB Image

Logan's Run: Both the book and the film.

Oryx and Crake: Great book, lots of potential. All about out of control genetic tinkering and a culture consumed by its own dark hunger.

1984: The book and film: Great for the remaining Earth cities. No longer required reading in school I might add.

It likely depends on how many existing novas populate each locale. There's never been any suggestion that the new eruptees on Eden, say, were any weaker for it. So, if Luna has the Space Brigade in residence, they'll likely have eruption power levels somewhat closer to the peak level than, say, a Jovian moon that has a hundred thousand colonists and the nearest nova being multiple AUs away.

Agreed. The best way to make a nova is to have another nova around.
All of that sounds very plausible. I'd also figure that the beneficial influences of being around healthy baselines and a healthy ecology/biosphere would also help reduce any chance of erupting Tainted.

How about this for Aberrant rules mutants:

Mutants get 1 dot in Quantum, and the enhanced healing and soak of Novas, but NO nova points. Nova points are gained at a rate of 2 points per point of permanent Taint. Neither Quantum nor powers may be purchased tainted.

This way, a mutant could become powerful, but not without becoming an absolute freak. Those wishing a more careful route might gain powers etc through experience.

Archived