Trinity RPG - So, space is really big...(possible spoilers)

BertJammin

The question I pose is this:

Human space as detailed in the main Trinity rulebook is pretty small (most of the solar system and five extra solar colonies which, as far as most of humanity believe at the time, may all be defunct).

However as the story unfolds we discover that the colonies are still going, that there is also other settlements (Eden, Ruans World), Alien homeworlds (Chrome Prime, Beta whatsitsface) and lost colonies from non-teleporter missions.

Add to this the secret Nipponese colony(ies) the fact that the Edenites were not the only Abbies to take to the stars and "telluric incidents" like the Venezuala Phenonema adjusting reality - who knows how far humanity has reached.

Anyway my point is, in your games, how far has it reached? have you had psions come across the edges of a Nipponese space empire? A nova system? How about alien races? Whether "natural", created by Aberrants or spontaneously emerging due to subquantum/quantum/telluric flux?

What's out there (at least in your interpretation)?

This may not be what you want, but I thought I'd share it anyway. In our game I decided to merge in a bit of the video-game Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri, since my players and I love it so much (including the GURPS suppliment for it). It's background works well with Trinity, mostly the timeframe, the main problem of course is that Alpha Centauri was already colonized by the Chinese. So I had to move it to Barnard's Star. The change in bakground was that the Unity mission was commissioned by the UN first as an ambitious exploration mission (with help from Nova's and nova-tech), but when the Aberrant War broke out, it slowly became what the UN regarded as their last chance for human survival, since the war was going so badly. This made for the standard departure date of 2060, and by the time the war was over, it was already too late to call them back. The mission was done in relative secret (no sense in panicking people saying that the UN believes that we're all going to die), and after the war, all records of it were destroyed to save the embarassment of having wasted all those resources when in fact we didn't need to, since we won.

Then comes the problem of why the clears didn't find the "lost" colony sooner, especially being so far away. I took this inspiration from (I forget where), where a top-secret report mentions a very powerful aberrant playing a game of "civilization" with some world or other. I changed the world to the one colonized by the Unity expedition, and ruled that it is what has kept the clears away from there, either because it is simply blocking their scans, or that it is all they can sense there, and thus avoiding the area is considered a good idea.

As for how I got my PCs there, a recently triggered clear in their party went with them to Eden. In their investigations there they came across a nova named simply "the Professor". Typical mad-scientist type, no emotions, all research. Lives in a castle away from Harmony in an area that is strangely devoid of life, and always has thunderclouds overhead crackling lightening (but no rain). Inside the castle, all colors are muted, giving the place an almost black-and-white film look, and his laboratory has all the hallmarks of early mad-scientist fare: bubbling beakers, Jacob's Ladders, large electric switches, etc. Naturally the Professor wanted to study these "psions" and put each one under a device (I forget what he called it right now). A reclining chair with a big, scary device over it pointed at whomever is lying in the chair (the PCs didn't know it, but it in fact used teluric energy for probing the subject, and thus was good for either nova or psion). Each character had a different experience, depending on their powers. Some felt pain, some wonder, some pleasure. The new clear had a terrifying vision of a world being destroyed by some terrible experiment, which the PCs at first thought was Earth. It took the team's telepath to get her out of the coma she went into after the experience, and discovered in her head spatial coordinates. After the team returned home and got settled, they decided to investigate, so they had a new 'porter friend of theirs (from the StarCrossed) take them there. The coordinates of course were for this lost colony.

Since then they've been having no end of trouble, and can't wait to get home. I can share that if you like, but this is probably enough to answer the question for now. :)

Archived