Aberrant RPG - Aberrant Game Possibility Thought

Heru

I have had along time love for Aberrant, since I first discovered its existence in fact. Because of that I pretty much constantly come up with variant settings, rule modifications, and campaign ideas.

One of those ideas is a setting in which all that exists is Mega-Attributes, Enhancements and various powers that could work in the same way that mega-attributes could. This would include things like intuition, psychic shield, sensory shield, armor, boost, body modification and such.

Taint would probably have a much lower level of effect and existence.

Characters would probably get less nova points due to no longer needing to spend a huge amount of powers (since it costs 3 nova points for a mega-attribute and the same for an enhancement).

The game would kinda be something like Adventure! but taken to a superheroic level.

One of the major things is that with only low levels of Taint existing (heck, maybe even no Taint if your a ST like me who dislikes the idea of flawed heroes) the society won't actually come out and hate novas. This would make it much easier for them to join normal society, since very few things would be blatantly flashy.

Still, a mega-stamina nova with Adaptability would not need a space suit to travel into space. So various things like that would enhance the world.

Powers that would be allowed:

*Armor

*Body Modification

*Boost

*Healing

*Hypermovement (considering that all this is is normal movement taken to the next level, it seems to fit)

*Hypnosis (all this is a more advanced form of the enhancement, so it sounds like something that could be possible)

*Intuition

*Luck

*Premonition

*Psychic Shield

*Sensory Shield

Powers that might be allowed:

*Absorption

*Invulnerability (this is kinda like a special form of mega-stamina)

*Poison (technically this is modifying the body to excrete a poison, its kinda like a body modification)

I would probably also allow some techniques of level 3 powers to be usable as special enhancements if they make sense and fit.

While I would love to do something like this, various things in real life as well as my current involvement in another Aberrant game, kinda prohibits it. But still, I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this sort of concept.

What you're basically talking about is "Street Level" heroes, i.e. getting rid of most powers except for the previously mentioned?

Yeah, the powers I mentioned plus all Mega-Attributes and techniques.

I was trying to figure out the changes that that would bring to the game and setting.

You missed out Claws, was this deliberate?

Hypermovement is commonly applied as HyperFlight, but you don't have Flight available anymore. Without this, or one of the long-range instant powers like Teleport or Warp, the use of Adaptability in space situations is going to be minimal.

Healing in your original list seems to stand out as the only one that is not a power that enhances or effects only the Nova, perhaps therefore it should be dropped to maintain consistency?

I was trying to figure out the changes that that would bring to the game and setting.
You're getting rid of Warp and Teleport so you're skipping all the insanity that comes with them, i.e. "no national boarders, no ability to track novas".

You're skipping Invisibility (removing stealth) and Flight, so most novas are on foot. This also means no Star Trek visits to other planets. Many of the *extremely* abusive powers are gone (Domination), and ditto some of the extremely profitable ones (Weather Manip, Temporal Manip).

So basically novas got a lot weaker, and *MUCH* more easily controlled by baselines... they *fit* into baseline law and order now because we've lost most of the "novas are gods" thing.

Things we keep:

Mad Science (Mega-Int)

Mega-Socials (i.e. cults, novas running for high office, etc)

Mega-Wits (Novas dominating the Art and Business worlds)

XWF

Rorx,

Hypermovement also covers swimming, running and other such things. That is why I still included it.

I forgot that Healing can work on others. I meant it as a thing that can be used by a nova to heal himself magically.

As to Claws, I guess it would depend on how the character was describing it. It could be allowed in some cases while not in others. But no, it really wasn't deliberate.

Alex Green,

Your right about your points, bit I think the fact that novas are much more easily able to fade into normal society their won't be a lot of problems.

The changes that would crop up in the world would still be amazing as time goes on, but it wouldn't destroy civilization like the real setting and powers do.

By the way, do you, and anybody else reading this, think that some of the powers I disallowed should be allowed or that some of the powers I allowed should be disallowed.

Archived